Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Snow chains to be needed this weekend?

Poster: A snowHead
Driving out to Val d'Isere this weekend and it looks like we might need chains. snowHead

Not looking for anything fancy. Can anyone recommend a cheap pair? For a 1997 Citroen ZX.

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Wed 19-03-08 0:34; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I have got some Citroen chains which fit a Xsara picasso, what size are your wheels? PM me if interested
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
prthomas, cheers, have PM'd.

Lots of online operations selling chains for £30 with next day delivery.
Ordered today, post tomorrow, arrive Thursday, when I'm at work. Confused (I can't have them sent to my work address unfortunately)

Do Halfords sell chains?
Or any other high street shops?
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
hd, I think you can buy them at the Eurotunnel terminal, or alternatively all, and I mean all, the service stations in France sell them.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
bladeskier, are prices at the Eurotunnel terminal and in French service stations reasonable?
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
hd, I have no idea, never bought any from either, just seen them on sale.

If I were you I'd grab the first set that fits your car that you see, as there is heavy snow forecast this weekend I guess lots of people will be buying them.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
hd, I bought cheap chains from Halfords about 23 years ago. Broke the first time I used them. French service station prices are reasonable in my experience but they do not do "fancy" chains so you won't have that choice to worry about wink
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
hd, check (in an on line shop) that your car/wheel/tyre combination takes readily avaialble chains. Some, mine for example, allegedly don't, and require either extra slim chains or will only take odd things such as Spikes Spiders (at vast expense).
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I think I know the answer to this next question already but I'll ask anyway. We're driving to Val D on Saturday and expect to be ascending the road from Bourg StM around 10pm. Current forecasts suggest mega dumpage all day Friday but only light snowfall on Saturday.

Is there a reasonable chance we won't need chains on Saturday and could get away without buying any? Being transfer day I'm assuming patrols will be making an extra special effort to keep the roads snow-free?

If on our approach to the Alps we realise that chains will be required where is the last place that we could buy some? Without being ripped off, and taking into account that we'll be arriving late at night when most shops are likely to be shut. Is there a petrol station in Bourg open until late that will sell us a pair?

Last edited by You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net. on Wed 19-03-08 0:16; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
I paid £20 on Amazon for some snow chains.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
tomstickland wrote:
I paid £20 on Amazon for some snow chains.

In the 3rd post on this thread hd wrote:
Lots of online operations sell chains for <£30 with next day delivery.
If ordered today, post tomorrow, would arrive Thursday, when I'm at work. Confused (I can't have them sent to my work address unfortunately)
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
hd, sometimes you won't know you need them until you're half way up the mountain (near Ste Foy for example). You only find out when you arrive at the back of the queue which is being directed into the "chainage" area up ahead by the Gendarmes. I've waited 3 hours in that queue, slowly edging forward into the blizzard and finally being waived past the chainage area cos I was in a 4x4 rolling eyes That was a Saturday night. I wouldn't wait until Bourg that's for sure.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
hd, I'd be surprised if a ZX doesn't take readily available chains. I might disagree with bladeskier's assertion that all stations sell them - I don't recall seeing them in the Bonnevillle one (which, being on the Autoroute Blanche you might expect them to have a reasonable market) - but then it's not something I'm ever looking for.

I'd also not expect them to have huge ranges if you do have "odd" wheels/tyres.

I would expect them to sell out quickly if you need them and for service stations to close early (if not on motorway). If you have "ordinary" wheels chains need not be expensive and you can maybe flog them on eBay if you don't need them. But if you do need them and don't have them, you could be in for a miserable start to your holiday...
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
A dozen replies and no-one has mentioned the Super-U at BSM yet?

Shame on you all....
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Guvnor wrote:
A dozen replies and no-one has mentioned the Super-U at BSM yet?

Guvnor, at what time does it close on a Saturday?
snow report
About 19:00 I think - someone with more knowledge than me will be along soon I'm sure....
snow conditions
Guvnor wrote:
About 19:00 I think - someone with more knowledge than me will be along soon I'm sure....

Bah, no use to us then. We don't expect to be in BSM until 10pm at the earliest.
ski holidays
hd, if i were you I would buy them at the earliest opportunity, so that you know you have them. Nothing worse than having a bad start to a holiday or worrying about where you are going to get them all the way down the motorway.
ski holidays
I agree with loopylou especially as snow is forecast for other areas of France too including some of the regions you'll be driving through which may mean the french service stations will have a run on chains.
latest report
Driving down from Calais Friday morning, forecast is for possible snow all of the way and big dumps in resort.
Driven many times, but this is the first time I've driven with winter tyres on the car. Also have chains in the boot. Will be interested to see just how much more grip the tyres have.
snow conditions
Quote:
Being transfer day I'm assuming patrols will be making an extra special effort to keep the roads snow-free?

And the police will be making an extra special effort to make sure that some d**k head without chains doesn't hold everybody up!

In heavy snow the ploughs can't work fast enough to keep the roads snow-free. And in any case the passage of a snowplough just gets the worst off, not all of it. Depending on how well your car holds the road, and on the nature of your tyres, an inch or two of slush on any kind of incline can be enough to give you problems.
snow report
If you aren't driving up very early morning/late night it's quite unlikely that you will need chains until you get to resort, and around Val you probably won't need them either. Saying that it does look like a pretty major dump on friday. If you do end up getting a cheap pair I'd recommend going very slowly indeed as mine snapped when I got to 25mph. Super U closes at 19.30.

I did need chains about half way down to Bourg the other morning (5am), that was surprising!

As others have pointed out, although you may not need chains, they are a legal requirement. I can recommend anything sturdy that has a diamond pattern to help with lateral traction.
snow report
Spyderman, You will be amazed. Very Happy
snow report
Following today's stupendous dumporama...

Will we be definitely putting on the chains for the final leg of our journey BSM-ValD tomorrow (Saturday) at 10pm?

Confused
latest report
Just got up to St Martin - it was hairy!! Everyone stopping to put snow chains on and cars sliding everywhere. Snow right down in Albertville and chains needed from Moutiers onwards. be warned anyone travelling tomorrow(Sat) to bring food, hot drinks, warm clothes and keep plenty petrol in car. Also gloves and torch for when you have to put chains on! Lots of people reading the paper instructions in the pouring snow..
latest report
hd, buy them in France but you may not get any in the hypermarkets in Bourg St Maurice, yesterday the cops were stopping all traffic coming out of Bourg, no chains no go. We did a transfer to Geneva took 10 hours!
ski holidays
Let's hope that people looking for advice have not been taking too much notice of daft comments like those above suggesting chains unlikely to be needed till they reach the resort. Spikyhedgehog and others have presumably never hit the Alps on a snowy day like yesterday. The French TV news last night was covered in pictures of police stopping traffic, camions skidded across roads and general chaos.
snow report
Shouldn't one just view snow chains like travel insurance? I buy it every year but I've never had to use it yet. But when I do I'll be glad I spent all that money on it. In fact snow chains are even better because (unless you change the car very often) they'll last for many years and help prevent problems rather than trying to clear up the mess. Seems a small price to pay considering how much the rest of skiing holiday costs.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
pam w, seeing as I have a car here in Tignes at the minute, yes I have.

I said you will have to have chains, but you may not need them. In fact an English Renault has just pulled up outside the flat without them on. At this precise moment in time the roads in Tignes are staying clear as they do a fantastic job of clearing them. Saying that the roads will probably become very snow covered as it gets later.

hd, hope you had a fairly hassle free journey!
snow report
Spikyhedgehog, as reported above, all cars out of BSM needed chains yesterday. However many cars you've got in Tignes, the fact remains that on big snowy days you can easily need chains miles before you reach resort. Sometimes before Albertville, let alone before BSM. You can drive to the Alps for years without ever encountering those sort of conditions, but the fact remains that they exist, as experienced transfer drivers know. Today is a very different day to yesterday.
snow conditions
Fair enough. Smile
snow conditions
Thread update. Driving to Val d'Isere on Sat 22nd March we played it safe and purchased chains at the first available opportunity, in Ashford's Halfords. £55. Shocked Shocked Shocked Sad Sad Sad

But glad we did as under police orders they were required from the "aire de chainage" on the road up to Val. And there would have been no way we could have got up without them.

Thanks for all the advice. Very Happy
ski holidays
gsb wrote:
Spyderman, You will be amazed. Very Happy

I was amazed at the traction available from Winter Tyres. We had 10cm of fresh snow across the road, all of the way up to La Tania. Never lost traction once. Passed several 4x4's sliding all over the place. I bought GT Radial Champiro's from www.mytyres.co.uk they are fantastic tyres, superb grip and quiet too. I took chains also, but I can't see me ever needing them again, even getting out of the car park on Saturday, on solid ice they were great.

I have Pirelli Ice & Snow tyres on my Land Rover as it's normal daily tyres, they make driving on road especially in the wet a whole lot safer than using the mud tyres that I put on when going out to play.
snow conditions
I bought a set for £20 on Amazon.
snow conditions
tomstickland, treat them with care....
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy