Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

How many hard falls do you take per season?

How many hard falls do you take per season?
fewer than one per season
27%
 27%  [ 31 ]
25%
 25%  [ 28 ]
16%
 16%  [ 18 ]
6%
 6%  [ 7 ]
4 or more
19%
 19%  [ 22 ]
can't remember: I hit my head...
4%
 4%  [ 5 ]
Voted : 111
Total Votes : 111

Poster: A snowHead
Do UDIs count?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Tricky this- since 1995-6 2 trips in blood wagons- each for dislocated shoulders- now repaired.

Since the last shoulder (April 98 I think)I really do try not to fall over so much- as every time I do fall over it fcuking hurts- also have had a lot more skiing and parabolic skis.

Last day of last ski trip (Feb 0Cool tried some rails for the first time- went sideways- forgot to straighten up prior to landing- shoulder now hurts- acromio-clavicular ligament I think- not dislocated.

Now have bindings much tighter (8 or 9) as upper body injuries mostly due to pre-releasing I think.

But will be telemarking more- as new to this expect more tumbles- stats suggest no more injuries???
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
2 in the last 8 weeks of skiing that both left bruises, but nothing more serious. The first was crossing what I thought was a flat path at high speed, but turned out to be a series of short sharp icy rolling dips. I bounced over the first few and then lost a ski and high-sided over the bars onto my back to the amusement of a bunch of small kids. The second was earlier this season when, for some unknown reason, I attempted to use a tree more like a slalom pole. It didn't move an inch and I ended up with a badly bruised arm. Mountain bike crashes on the other hand have been far more numerous!
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Atleast 3 a trip, if your not pushing yourself hard enough as to possibly falling over whats the point!?!?!
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Twice, er, NOT falling over, suffering damage, and possibly missing out on the rest of the season? Very Happy
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Try to limit it to one big fall per season, but usually can be found on the floor when playing around (one ski,360's etc)
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Can we have an addition to the poll :-

Did your helmet save you from imminent threat of death as a result of any of these falls?

Last belter I took was on Crystal D'arc in Sainte Foy. One of my ski's is still up there somewhere as a permanent memorial. Skiing down on one ski is a long, tricky journey, especially whilst being watched by the pisteurs through high power bino's..... Evil or Very Mad
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Hard to say. I don't keep count. Some season's it's probably none and others a handful. The definition is also difficult: I've never suffered anything beyond minor bruising; I always make a point of "getting back on the horse". On the other hand, bindings release fairly frequently - usually in fairly innocuous off piste situations where I've messed up at slow speed. I've taken the definition to be "out of control slides" and I probably average two per season.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I have said 3 - but I am not sure how accurate this is. Most of my more painful falls tend to be low speed and on piste - like when someone caught my ski coming off a chair last week. More spectacular falls occur off piste - but usually involve double binding release and landing in soft snow - so don't really count as "Hard"
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
I've put two (and I ski one week per season), although I probably would average more than that if all falls where bindings release were counted.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
For me skiing is about adrenalin, pushing it to the max. I'm sort of with Twice on this one. If I wanted to saunter I'd go langlauf.

Of course this has it's downsides, one of which is a tendancy to occasionally overdo it or just get caught out, be it a technical error, unexpected terrain or fatigue. So be it. That's why I love the game. Normally have a good wipe out every few days when on skis, more often when on a board.

I voted 4 or more.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
alex_heney (and others), surely bindings release to prevent injury in the event of a fall, therefore if the binding has released it follows you were due to fall. Either that or they are set too low ?

So why does it matter if the bindings released or not ?
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
One of my measurments for a good day is whether I've fallen or not. This year two in particular stood out. One was unspectacular but I bruised a rib which is still tender a couple of weeks later. The other was a real good'un - skiing down a narrow red with a bank on the left and a drop on the right (which always causes me stress). Nerves got the better and I kept too much to turning only towards the banked side and headed straight for a piste marker, not one of those plastic bendy ones but the metal pole with the piste name on it. Couldn't turn away to avoid so ended up grabbing it while each ski went either side, both skis coming off, one didn't release the bindings so it carried on down the slope. The piste pole came out and I ended up in the middle of the piste on my back clutching the pole.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Jeraff, L O L Very Happy Nice tale.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Alpine... probably once a winter (5-6 weeks on snow) - must try harder ! Tele - not nearly as many as in the past - again maybe once. Plastic - other than the odd straddle - never ?

Skiing most of the time is a series of linked recoveries, with barely co-ordinated arms and legs (well it is for me anyway), and recently the recoveries are getting stronger. Skiing tele with leather boots on a dryslope gets those recovery skills in top shape really quick.

Think I need to push myself more. rolling eyes
latest report
masmith wrote:
For me skiing is about adrenalin, pushing it to the max. I'm sort of with Twice on this one. If I wanted to saunter I'd go langlauf.

That eventually becomes a dangerous game if you need to be right on the edge of your ability just to get a buzz. Especially when you get better and better at it, because then the falls get bigger and bigger. I'm guessing you're in your early 20s and still feel totally invincible. I'm 40 now and get a good enough buzz from skiing comfortably within my ability. I just try to slowly expand my ability each year Smile
latest report
uktrailmonster, have a look at the numbers. Pretty early yet, and of course completely unreliable for hard conclusions, but pretty durn interesting if one looks at the categories just the right way.
snow report
uktrailmonster, just turned 40 Very Happy
snow conditions
comprex, I could be lining myself up for some abuse here, but taking the stats as they are now, what is it you find interesting? I guess I'm a little surprised by the 52% of people with no more than one [edit: (hard)] fall per season. Some people I ski with fit into that category and they all ski well within limits, enjoy themselves, but rarely try new things or push themselves, as a result will never get beyond the 'intermediate plateau' (but are more than happy with that).

I'm wondering if this is the typical one or no [edit: (hard)] fall per year skier ?

Quote:
fewer than one per season 32% [ 21 ]
1 20% [ 13 ]
2 16% [ 11 ]
3 6% [ 4 ]
4 or more 21% [ 14 ]
can't remember: I hit my head... 3% [ 2 ]

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Wed 19-03-08 18:49; edited 1 time in total
snow report
masmith wrote:
I guess I'm a little surprised by the 52% of people with no more than one fall per season. Some people I ski with fit into that category and they all ski well within limits, enjoy themselves, but rarely try new things or push themselves, as a result will never get beyond the 'intermediate plateau' (but are more than happy with that).

I'm wondering if this is the typical one or no fall per year skier ?

Quote:
fewer than one per season 32% [ 21 ]
1 20% [ 13 ]
2 16% [ 11 ]
3 6% [ 4 ]
4 or more 21% [ 14 ]
can't remember: I hit my head... 3% [ 2 ]

We're not talking about falls. We're talking about "hard falls" here.

If you know how to fall, it's less likely to get injured. So you can still push and fall but not get hurt. I count myself into that catagory: I do occasionally jump off cliffs (not too big, that is) but only after making sure the snow is soft and deep at the landing. Laughing
ski holidays
Quote:

We're not talking about falls. We're talking about "hard falls" here.

yes, that's what I meant, I just didn't (but should have) clarified it. Original post edited to suit.
snow report
Then, I don't see why one can't learn without falling so hard. Puzzled
snow report
abc, Yes you're right and I'm a bit muddled. I'm having a rethink and will be back soon ... !
ski holidays
masmith, current numbers are still a bit al dente, I'd like to let the pot simmer further, say 100-150 votes.
snow report
abc, OK, I think it's the definition of "hard fall" that's playing with me. To take OP definition:
Quote:
By hard I mean anything that causes bruising or more serious injury, sliding out of control, other lingering pain, binding release, or that causes a lingering confidence shakeup.

Bruising - almost certainly have some bruising after a week away but not necessarily caused by a 'hard' fall - I had read that a fall which induced a bruise should be included.

Sliding out of control - to me that includes losing an edge on ice, which again invariably results in a bruise to the hip

Other lingering pain/confidence shakup - blows to the head or heavy impacts, i.e catching an edge on a board on flattish section. Sore toes (usually as a result of heavy landing).

On this basis I'd stick to my 4(ish) per year (about 14 days on snow) - 1 in 3.5 days sounds about right - maybe a bit over.

Taking the more innocuos incidents out of the equation, I'd plump for 1.5 per year.

Quote:

Then, I don't see why one can't learn without falling so hard.

Well there's hard, there's hard and there's oh my god that bloody hurt. re my comment about intermediat plateau, I was referring to the first hard.
latest report
Megamum wrote:
comprex, I don't ski in seasons - I ski in weeks - so far I've averaged one per week!

At your stage, I averaged about 2/hour. Either you're good or you're not trying (or both)!.
latest report
richmond, I was talking comprex's 'hard falls'. Mind you I only fell twice last year and possibly once the year before. This year I was on my backside about once or twice a day - so by your standards maybe I'm getting worse and trying harder!! Laughing

What I had come back to this thread for was to ask as in horse riding or judo whether there is an advised way to fall (if able to control it to any extent) to minimise injuries?
snow report
Megamum wrote:

What I had come back to this thread for was to ask as in horse riding or judo whether there is an advised way to fall (if able to control it to any extent) to minimise injuries?

MrsRobw is an ex-competition cross-country rider, and reckons the best way to fall whilst skiing is the same way as off a horse: i.e. roll. Needless to say, she's never been even slightly injured whilst skiing.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
masmith, 'sore toes'

no no no no no

sore toes are not a 'hard fall' sore toes are normal.

in my book a 'hard fall' results in- blood stained clothing- not necessarily confined to your own- and/or a trip on a sledge down the mountain with skis taken as deposit until friend/relative goes to pisteurs office to pay for rescue.
snow conditions
I guess this is an interesting point. Some fall quite a lot and are okish -ie teeth all present, goggles not bust, bone unbroken, shoulders/acls intact/ no blood - and see falling as evidence of trying hard- I suspect a bit younger. Others fall not so much but with concussion / blood / generally messed up- and don't really see falling over as a good thing- I suspect a bit older.
snow report
Funny question really. Falls? Some seasons one/two, others half a dozen or more. Never anything serious (only one involving blood - crumbs do chins bleed!) - and I'm touching wood here - but losing skis, yes. It's easy to lose a ski or 2 and not feel a thing rolling eyes .
latest report
edsilva, I think I've had probably only one day (in about 35 weeks skiing) where I've not had a fall of some type...although it's possible another may have crept in this year. I'm clearly a mere slip of a lad...at 48 Very Happy .
snow report
edsilva, yes, but it doesn't go far enough.

Take it one step further, and consider what reported past experience tells us about the respondent's expectations of the future.

It might be argued that 31 % of the respondents as of today do not expect to have a binding release in anger, a confidence shakeup, or any impact bruising next season.

(Would you attempt to market binding release testing to this crowd? They might need it, but would they believe that? How about non-race armour?)

It might be argued that 21% of the respondents as of today expect at least one memorable fall pretty much every week they are on skis and yet it does not deter them.

(At least they're secure in knowing their bindings do actually work properly for the most part).

Now, notice that little pit at 3 falls per season? Kinda curious that.
snow report
.GrahamN, but are you having 'hard falls'? I don't think so... if I had a hard fall every day I skied I wouldn't be able to walk.........

comprex, good point- what is interesting about the results is the 2 peaks- hardly any falls and lots- rather than a smooth transition

mind you the more I think of it the more 'hardish' falls I can remember- these are ones which didn't result in blood stained clothing / blood wagon- but did result in pain lasting at least 2-3 months- badly bruised ribs / torn hamstrings (pain for months and months).....I suppose as comprex says it is what you remember/expect as much as what has really happened....mind you most weeks I ski I don't fall over at all and rarely lose skis (once in every 4 weeks or more).
snow conditions
Quote:

what is interesting about the results is the 2 peaks- hardly any falls and lots- rather than a smooth transition

It could be some people fall lots and some people don't fall at all.

But it could also be people counting "hard falls" differently. Those who count every binding release as a hard fall would vote 4 while others only count blood stained clothing and wagon ride as "hard" fall and voted less than 1.

I hadn't voted because I'm not sure which definition I should use. I could vote either 4 or more (binding release per WEEK, never mind "season"). Or I could vote less than 1 if I use the definition of blood/bruise/sled ride down (beyond year 1, that is).

Oh yes, as a mountain biker, I fall and roll instinctively so rarely any bruising. Nothing broken so far (knock on wood).
ski holidays
Quote:

It could be some people fall lots and some people don't fall at all

I think it's that. I ski with a mate of very similar standard. I fall lots and have a binding release quite often. He hardly ever has a binding release. He is lighter than me and has better ntaural balance. I'm a less pragmatic skier than him, less inclined to turn down my speed/fluidity when conditions get tricky.
snow report
masmith wrote:
alex_heney (and others), surely bindings release to prevent injury in the event of a fall, therefore if the binding has released it follows you were due to fall. Either that or they are set too low ?

So why does it matter if the bindings released or not ?

I have never had bindings release except when I have fallen (i.e. I have never had a pre-release).

The point was that the OP suggested that a fall where the bindings release is a "hard fall", while that is nowhere near always the case IMO. If I counted all the ones where my bindings release in the fall, then I would have been putting down more than 2 per week.
latest report
alex_heney, very simple criterion: if the bindings release you don't have control of your CoM after the event.

After that it's up to luck and tumbling skill.
snow report
Quote:

it's up to luck and tumbling skill.

So that's the rub. Those who has good tumbling skill tend not to bruise as much. Hence can afford more falls. Whether to define such falls as hard or not is then not terribly clear.

To muddy the water some more, some of us heal relatively fast so even bruising is still consider acceptable. Shocked (I'm not that young but I still heal relatively fast Smile ).

The bottom line is, learning means doing things one is not yet good at. So falling is inevitable. Bindings are there to prevent injury when one has lost control. So those of us who take tumbles well tend may set our binding loose and "let it fall". While others prefer to "save" the situation, at a slightly higher risk of injury.

So are those falls hard or not? If it's not memorable, it's probably not. For me, and as for many others, binding release is NOT particularly memeorable. Riding down on a sled is. I think, if one gets up, gather one's belongings and continue to ski the same aggresive way, the falls were not "hard" falls. Smile
latest report
abc wrote:
Quote:

it's up to luck and tumbling skill.

So are those falls hard or not? If it's not memorable, it's probably not. For me, and as for many others, binding release is NOT particularly memeorable. Riding down on a sled is. I think, if one gets up, gather one's belongings and continue to ski the same aggresive way, the falls were not "hard" falls. Smile

I like you're thinking. Or going that bit further, the 'hardness' of said fall to be quantified by the resultant number of nights in hospital ? So taking it to the extreme:

0 nights in hospital = get on with it you pussy
1 night in hospital = hard fall
2-3 nights = very hard fall
4+ nights = extreme respect
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy