Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

How far would it be practical to go with BASI?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
DaveC,

Quote:

Endless winter is possible, but it's a bit counter intuitive to the idea of ever settling down or stability

Maybe not if you're going to ski seasons and move resort to resort, but the people I'm referring to in my earlier post all have house, mortgage, wife, kids etc... Yes it's not the highest paid job in the world, but it pays the bills.

Personally though I think if you're British you might need to switch to working in Europe and the BASI system, so that the future goal of working for yourself is possible. But you're only 23!! So I really wouldn't worry - that's so young. You could quite easily do several more years' of seasons, then re-train in a different area if you don't like IT, and still not worry about being considered "old" when applying for entry level positions back in the rat race...
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
DaveC, you're living the dream, skiing all winter every year no dependants or responsibility. In Europe if you want to turn that into a viable living you have to make the effort to get BASI ISTD and work in France. And even then you'll need to be entrepreneurial to do well. Do CSIA L4s make a decent living or are they all part-timers too?
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well if anyone is really keen to improve their racing there is a great opportunity available... One of the DWV Visually Impaired young skiers is looking to go to Colorado to get some race training in. He needs a guide and is offering to compensate expenses in return. AFAIK You get to race train with a paralympic coach and do VI guide training, plus run some NorAm races. (SL GS SG)

So if anyone is not working start Dec to start Jan - or is able to take the time off... and fancies some race training.... look at this...

http://forums.ski.com.au/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=823406&page=1#Post823406
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Most N American high level certs I've talked to have a sideline - for many it seemed to be dirt pimping/real estate licences which made sense during the boom years, throughput of clients that might be looking for property in a ski resort, lots of work by cellphone which could be done between classes etc.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
DaveC, With ISTD, in Europe is is sustainable -just. It really depends on what you aspire to. If you're happy (as I am) in a small apartment with a great view, and just want to teach skiing for the rest of your life, then go for it. If, however, you don't have that passion for teaching, forget it. Ski for fun, teach a littel for fun, and do something that will earn you lots more money. Most of the successful teachers I know (French and British) do have a summer sport to keep them going through the 7 months ... glacier work does not pay, but some of us can't bear to be away ... If you want to PM me I'll give you more details on the financial side etc.

Be warned though - if you move away from Britain and buy property abroad you probably won't be able to go back even if you want to. Property prices in Britain are way too high.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
slikedges, I haven't really discussed pay with the l4s I work with, kind of an awkward one - I get the impression they do quite well. CSIA4/ISTD both sound equally intimidating though.

fatbob, yeah, seems that the high levels I know are mostly in real estate. Bit of a problem with choosing Canada, the whole residency issue. Really means being tied to a resort for a sponsored visa.

easiski, the thing that really surprised me last year was how much I enjoyed the teaching.

I'm planning on doing a few more seasons regardless, it's just what to do long term in summers, or just shoulder seasons if the canada/NZ thing works...
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
DaveC, I know a CSIA on the threshold of L4 (failed it marginally - twice I think). He's gotta know - I'll see if he'll tell me!
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
DaveC, I know a CSIA L3 in Fernie, he's good enough to pass L4, but sadly missed out through injury. We spoke about pay rates in Canada. He couldn't survive without his job as a carpenter in the summer. Only just scrapes a half decent living. France is the only place where you'll earn a decent wage as an instructor, without setting up your own business.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Rumour is that NZ pays reasonably real world pay... anyone have any experience of that?
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
DaveC, I know a few people who have done it for a season with CSIA L2, can't for the life of me remember the username on here. Pretty sure they couldn't secure jobs and went to the hiring clinic, some missed out.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
arv, I'm guessing straight out of Nonstop or similar?
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Spyderman, I don't think that's true any more. ESF get paid quite well once they're 'Permanent' (profit sharing), but only ones with apartments/hotels or other to let in summer don't work at all between winters IME. In other words: they have secondary sources of income. I couldn't survive without working at the University in the autumn. Hourly pay rates sound good, but if that's all you have to pay your mortgage it doesn't last long in summer. I need €7000 in between winters just to service the mortgage, never mind taxes, leccy etc. etc. (eating) Shocked That means you have to earn a lot and save a lot in winter. Shocked
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
DaveC, yeh.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
DaveC, Why not apply for Canadian working residency status anyway- IIRC the points criteria isn't that onerous depending on how much higher education you have. Although probably helped if you can acquire close family ties- I assume you don't have a Canuck girlfriend you're wanting to knock up? wink
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
DaveC, I think easiski's 2 posts say it all.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy