Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Cheap All Mountain Skis in Whistler and the Telus Festival

Poster: A snowHead
Hello wise chums.

I might, might just be going to the Telus Festival in Whistler. This is completely unplanned and came as a total suprise, just landed in my lap. I don't want to say any more about how it came around at the moment in case I jinx it (but hopefully I'll be able to spill my guts on Tuesday).

My current skis are dead. They have lasted since 2003 and they will not take anymore punishment. Even the bindings won't be salvagable (well I can use the rig for the dry slope but not on the proper stuff).

This was all fine and well when my next trip was going to be next season (you may have read my cunning plan in an other one of my postings) but now that it is next month I'll need to pick up something now and my old plan won't work.

My new plan is to pick up a new pair in Canada as this should be a lot cheaper compared to Scotland.

As it is towards the end of the season I was hoping to pick up some sort of bargain. My budget is really tight (still paying off last Les Arcs trip) so if anyone knows Whistler and can reccomend a really good and cheap ski shop I'd be really grateful.

Cheers
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
The_Hirsty, can't help you with that, but if you are travelling Air Canada make sure you book skis & boots with them in advance - they are part of your baggage allowance (2 hold bags plus boots) but no extra charges for weight or oversize if booked in advance, otherwise a £30 charge at the airport.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I have a pair of Head 2008 Head Monsters Im 88's 175cm. Like new. Skied 9 days. With bindings look in the gear swap.

I will be at Whistler for the Telus and will have them with me there so you won't have to worry about shipping.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
The_Hirsty, did you win the other fall line ski mag comp Puzzled

Very Happy
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
The_Hirsty, at this point in the season, most of the ski shops in Whistler will have their sales on. Shop around and go with the best price that you can find, you should get a reasonable deal.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
The_Hirsty, if you buy in Canada you should be able to reclaim GST (or some such tax) on your return to UK. Forms for the purpose are available at the airport (they are at Calgary, anyway). Mind you, you should presumably declare them for import duty and VAT on your return to UK ... .

edit: This is apparently rubbish; see the following post. Sorry.

Last edited by You'll need to Register first of course. on Mon 17-03-08 11:33; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
richmond, Unfortunately, the Canadian Visitor Rebate Program was terminated in April 2007, and individual visitors can no longer claim any refund of GST/HST on purchases or accomodation Sad
See this link.
You will note that there are still refunds available to Tour Operators and Convention Organisers - nice work if you can get it Toofy Grin
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Alastair Pink, it certainly is. The_Hirsty, sorry about that.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
make sure you take your old skis and at least ski bag out there with you. Technically purchasing skis abroad means you should pay VAT & import duty on them when you return to the UK.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
if you buy them out there and ski on them then they're used anyway so it's fine.

maybe you should post over on the epicski.com forums and ask some questions there as there'll be a lot of folk on there that ski at whistler every day and know the place like the back of their hands Very Happy
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
shoogly wrote:
if you buy them out there and ski on them then they're used anyway so it's fine.

It's irrelevant wether you used them or not, you bought them outside the UK, and hence are liable to import and VAT.

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/MoneyTaxAndBenefits/Taxes/LeavingOrComingIntoTheUK/DG_10026463

Bringing goods into the UK from outside the EU

Other items, including gifts and souvenirs
You can also bring in other goods worth up to £145 without paying any Customs Duty and VAT.
If you bring in goods worth more than £145, you must pay Customs Duty and VAT on the full value of the item or items that take you over that threshold. If you have several items that add up to more than £145 you should declare all of them.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
If you are still to book your flight then use this promo code with ZOOM to get 12% discount on flights. Wilkinsongolf1
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
shoogly, I certainly did! Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

I have been hopping around like a kid on too much fizzy cola bottles since I heard last week.

Still don't know the full details as yet though.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
The_Hirsty, HUGE congratulations. I'm hoping that i'll be able to take my prize holiday either from the 2nd or the 9th. Zoom flights out of glasgow are on a wednesday to calgary. Like you, i still don't know exact details. If i've not heard by 4pm today, i'll give them a wee call Very Happy

It's a great feeling isn't it Very Happy

If you've not been to whistler before, you'll love it. It's a great wee place. The hotel that you're staying in is up towards Blackcomb which is quieter than whistler village but still only a 5 minute walk away.

Enjoy. snowHead
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Oh, and as far as skis go, Ellis Brigham have a sale on, so you might be wise taking a drive through to Braehead for a look. Blues had some reductions when i was in a few weeks back. and... (i was looking at the advert for your comp in an old copy of Fall Line at the weeekend)... your flights are with Zoom and their ski carraige is free anyway. Do you not have to pay for the flights for whoever you take?
ski holidays
shoogly, Cheers and congratulations yourself. Do you know how many people the prize is for? I can't remember anything about it.
snow report
It says that the comp is everything for two people - apart from the flights which are only for the winner.

You'll be staying at the Fairmont Chateau Whistler - nice

Ski Pass etc all included. I'll take another look tonight when i get home and let you know, but you'll probably have heard from them by then.
snow report
Flights are with Zoom and i just checked - flights from glasgow to vancouver are Saturday to Saturday. Strange thing is that all seats are booked on the return flight!
ski holidays
Gang I know all of the shops in whistler very well. I'm developing the www.whistlerolympicreport.com for the 2010 winter games there. Most of the better demos in all of the shops are sold. The ones left have almost no edges or bases left they have been tuned so many times it isn't even funny. Also the skis have no snap in them mostly because they have been used so much.

FYI. The great deals go to friends there. You don't stand a chance to get those skis. They never make it to the floor.

Also yes the tax deal is done. They lowered the GST to 6% so no more refund.

Here is basically a brand new pair of Head IM 88 skis with bindings. Skied 9 days. $500CAD. 175cm. Fantastic all mtn ski. You will not find a pair of demos for sale like these.
snow report
just looking at the ad for the comp...
holiday is for two for 7 nights to be taken between the 11th and 20th april, transfers, accommodation, and lift tickets all included, only one flight will be provided! staying at fairmont chateau whistler.

enjoy.

Very Happy
latest report
shoogly wrote:
just looking at the ad for the comp...
holiday is for two for 7 nights to be taken between the 11th and 20th april, transfers, accommodation, and lift tickets all included, only one flight will be provided! staying at fairmont chateau whistler.

enjoy.

Very Happy

I will be staying at the Whistler Village Inn and Suites April 9th to 22nd. So I will be there.
snow report
There is no guarantee that skis will be cheaper in Canada than in the UK. Certainly since last summer (when the prices will have been set) the exchange rate has dropped, and historically ski prices in the US/Canada are more expensive than in Europe.

What you'll probably find is a wider choice that you'd typically get in the UK - but that's more because of sheer density of ski shops in Whistler compared to a typical UK town.

The problem of course is that if you are having to buy skis whilst there, you won't be able to guarantee what you'll be able to get. I'd seriously suggest checking the sale prices here and phoning around there before you go.
snow report
The Fairmont Chateau Hire Shop were selling pairs of ex-hire skis, when we were there in Feb, for less than the cost of ten day's hire, and including K2 and Bandits.
ski holidays
The_Hirsty, did you get your flights etc sorted?

My trip is proving to be very difficult to get arranged - and tiring Sad

When the hotel want us, we can't get flights, and when we can get flights, the hotel don't want us!!!

Hoping to get it sorted out today as my work are getting a bit fed up with me chopping and changing dates all the time.

Still really excited, but i just wish it was all arranged!
snow conditions
shoogly, I did get it sorted, finally.

Ian from Whistler was great but Zoom were quite elusive.

I had to badger Zoom quite a bit until it was sorted.

Never won such a stressful prize in my life. But stick in there - its going to be awesome. I've always wanted to do the Peak to Creak (and beat my mate's time.)
snow report
Besides from doing a quick walk through the village and seeing what sales are on, I recommend you visit 2 places.
1. whistler clearance center, located next to Moguls coffee. cheap good stuff there, but not much range. see what is available.
2. ask where the ski school lockers are (in springs building), there is an area there where we locals leave 1 ski of a pair for sale. Should be a piece of paper on each ski, with phone number and price etc. unwritten rule is you leave the worst ski , condition wise, there. You often get good quality second hand skis there at end of season from people like me who get pro deals and upgrade every year. I know I have left a few bargains go. I currently have a old (2005 model) salamon screams pair there for $100. Only 10 days use. Never got around to using them, just have too many other skis.

Otherwise, you can always rent. Get good skis in good condition. Try fat skis one day and race the next, no extra cost. Check out my signature for more details.

As for beating your mates time on Peak to Creek, take into account whether his time was before that run became inbounds. It was certainly a better run when it was out of the ski boundry.
latest report
Thanks for the tips - I'll certainly have a look into them. Very Happy
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy