Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

What in Hell Happened ?

Poster: A snowHead
WIHH ? I go away for a week, get back with questions and stories to tell my cyberskibuddies, and find that I can no longer get to the skiclub discussion thingy. Although I still get "the Edge" email asking me to vote about something or other which has no mention of it being removed.

Anyone care to give a quick rundown while I was away ? Did somethng bad happen ? too much swearing from footy fans perhaps ?

But thanks to U and Elizabeth, I have found this place to waste my time away on. Too late to put much up now though.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Hi Marytyn - great to see you! Basically Ski Club shut down the non-member discussion forum at a stroke on Thursday. Citing a Council decision, no specific instance was claimed as being the root cause and there is a 'reasons' page on Ski Club which mentions importance of benefits for members and the cost of moderating us etc etc...

At the moment there is a furious row going on inside the member only forum, we have two identifable council members - one of whom seems sympathetic, at least, to argument whilst the other seems to limit himself to sarky comment.

Anyway more later - I'm on my pre-work hit!
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I don't think anything specific happened on wed/thurs - other than someone logging on under the name David Goldsmith. This could have been the issue, as limiting the forum to members only will stop this problem. It also means that everyone has to use their real name to log on.

I'm wondering if it is a reaction to the "blading" incident a couple of months ago...and the council have only just reacted to it.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Blimey, I go home from work early on Thursday & come back in Monday to this! Shocked
This is much better anyway. Thanks to whoever set it up Very Happy
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
u brain is da Man!
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
U Brain is this you site then??
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I don't know I was just able to get some work done on Thursday and Friday Sad and then the forum comes back to life. Very Happy
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Just another vote of thanks to the man behind the site.Going cold turkey is hard work, I need my forum fix until I get back out on the snow!
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
All I got from my kids was........."Dad, rolling eyes she's at it again, we can't get on the computer!"
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Hmm - I have 4 computers in my house Lorraine and there's only 1 of me Cool
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
You trying to boost your posting counts or something Alan?
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Mrs H wasn't keen on the idea of a THIRD computer Sad
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Very odd Alex - I thought someone was messing about but I suspect there may have been a few technical wobbles this evening.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

Ski fast and leave no trace

Hmmmm. Do you double post and then also leave no trace?
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I've got a lap top but thats for work stuff!
ski holidays
That's right Peter - man of mystery!
snow report
I'm back, but how the heck did you find my. John Lynn is now Johnboy, but where is Maryellen? Good night Jimbob
ski holidays
If the word that was supposed to go after my was "address" then I found it in your Northern Ireland Ski Resort post!
ski holidays
What address did I put down Ian?
ski holidays
You mentioned Gateside Farm Lodge as apres ski and I think Dane's Hill and Portrush came into the discussion as well. I had a look on multimap and saw this made sense - remembered that the Royal Mail do a fair job of getting post through whatever the address and fired it off!

Just to clarify - you did get a letter from me by actual post?
snow report
Heh Johnboy! Good to hear from you! How's it going over there? Start up a new Combine Harvester thread....go on Smile
snow conditions
My Grandfather probably got it. He has the same name and lives close by. I'll go and ask him tonight.
ski holidays
What, your Grandfather has the Combine Harvester? Confused
ski holidays
johnboy, I got your email address from Friends Reunited.
snow report
Yes Mark, he's taken the snowplough and piste basher off it and plans to use it to cut corn. What a waste!

See we're still all talking the same old rubbish as we did on the SCGB!
latest report
Ahh but we're talking same old rubbish with lots of new features
Mr. Green Mr. Green Mr. Green Mr. Green Mr. Green Mr. Green

Have just realised that if the sheet symbol on the left of a topic is orange it means there's a post I haven't read!
The private inbox is also groovy...
snow report
Hi John,
great to have you here..........scarey isn't it the way these miscreants have been able to track us all down and lead us astray again!!!
ski holidays
That orange bit is a godsend. When you're used to usenet and being able to easily see read and unread messages then the idea of an unthreaded, unmarked web forum is hard work.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
cant say I agree with the orange bit. For me it only seems to be orange if its new since I last logged on. However, for that to mean that its newly unread, as it were, it means you have to read everything everytime you log on ? Mean to say, only the last 2 posts here are orange to me at the moment, but I aint seen any of the last 17 or so posts. Or am I not getting something ?

Good to see you back John. Did you ever get to ski at Danes hill this season ?
ski holidays
You're right Martyn, the same has just happened to me.

This isn't how it should be working.

It's OK if you log on with "Log me on automatically each visit:" checked and then never log off but just close the browser (or go elsewhere), which is how my home PC is set up, but here at work I don't use that.

One for the development team. Question
latest report
As far as I can tell, any posts made pre my membership are white flagged but with the title highlighted. Once this thread has been read, then the title returns to a lighter shade.
Any new postings on threads, or new threads since membership began are orange. My screen updates every time a thread is read, therefore I know which postings are new...
I haven't checked the 'log on...' box though ???
ski holidays
Hi Lorraine,

I was just starting to get some work done at last when I got an E-Mail from Liz leading me astray.
ski holidays
Michelle, don't try this unwittingly but leave a thread or two unread, then select 'log out' from top right, then log back in again, and your unread threads are mark as 'read'. That's what happens to me anyway (home & work).
latest report
johnboy wrote:
Hi Lorraine,

I was just starting to get some work done at last when I got an E-Mail from Liz leading me astray.

Sorry Embarassed
latest report
on the front page listing all the forum's, there's a link saying "mark all forums as read".

I find that useful.
snow conditions
Pete H, You're right Confused - but it wasn't so when I logged on this morning!
nbt, that's fine if you want to mark all posts as being read - but I don't think that's what we're after here!
latest report
and back to normal again now Mad
latest report
Ian Hopkinson wrote:
no specific instance was claimed as being the root cause and there is a 'reasons' page on Ski Club which mentions importance of benefits for members and the cost of moderating us etc etc...

I think the thing that pissed a lot of people off was the Ski Club saying basically 'thanks for everyone for contributing lots of valuable information now wee wee off so we can sell this stuff' not exactly great for their image.
snow report
Having debated this long and hard on the member only forum and being a balanced sort of chap; my conclusion is that they didn't really know what they were doing. My impression from the Council members was that they certainly didn't realise that they were cutting off contact absolutely from the non-members. Clearly no one had made the case for the discussion forum at the highest level and if you were minded to close the forum there were a range of "sample posts" to use for ammunition.
latest report
This is how it all started snowHead
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy