Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Swapping downhill and touring bindings

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Is this an ok thing to do on skis with a foam core?

I'd like to do a week's trip and, rather than renting, am toying with the idea of buying Fritschi bindings and skins, in the hope that I can swap my normal bindings back for conventional resort skiing.

Will the skis take this, or will extraction of the screws foul up the holes and threads on second and subsequent installations?

Any observations gratefully received.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I have twice retired alpine skis for use as touring skis ie put fritchis on them. It has to be done properly the holes glued and pluged and the new holes glued. I did once put the alpine bindings back (on some b2s) and it was ok but its not something you would want to do often as it weakens the skis and there is the risk of water getting in the holes then freezing. Better to get some Dukes and leave them on, or better still go for a second pair of skis then you can make sure they are the right tool for the job.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
sproggski,
Quote:
am toying with the idea of buying Fritschi bindings and skins, in the hope that I can swap my normal bindings back for conventional resort skiing
Why not just stick with the Fritschi setup for all-round usage - I've been using my Fritschi Freerides for touring & lift-served skiing since 2004 with no problems. I set them up for my normal DH boots when resort skiing, and adjust them for my Scarpa Denalis for touring use and they're just fine.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
sproggski, You can do this.. but... the Fritschis will change the feel of this ski, remounting the old bindings in the old holes will be possible, but not that easy (you'd have to drill out the plugs in the old holes), and Fritschis are expensive (as are skins !) . IMV you have two other options - You can get an adaptor for you alpine bindings (BCA Trekker) - which is Ok (ish) for day tours, or just hire some touring skis.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I'm wondering about something similar. Have a look at this thread from the poster called altis http://www.backcountryworld.com/showthread.php?t=233 and here http://forums.epicski.com/showthread.php?t=37118

It seems to have worked for him with some wrinkles to sort on the way, some helpful photos in the threads which may guide you whether to do so or not.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I looked at all the compromises and decided to just shell out in the end and go for a full set of the right kit rather than trying to re-use skis. The way I reconciled the expense was to try doing a decent length tour in piste boots and some heavy freeride skis with Fritchi bindings - then did it again with touring boots and light dynafit bindings and skis.... the difference is worth it - sponsored by Loreal "because your worth it" Cool
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy