Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

How Busy Is Busy Going Towards Moutier and Onwards?

Poster: A snowHead
We left Montchavin/La Plagne yesterday at 3pm. We thought it was late enough in the afternoon and we would cruise on up to Geneva. Hell no Shocked Shocked Shocked Took us an hour to get to Moutier so 3 1/4 hours to get to Geneva which wasn't that bad, however the other side of the road Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked

Basically it was nearly a complete traffic jam back to Chambery through Albertville and Moutier and this was at 5pm. I reckon at 5pm in Chambery it would have taken 4-5 hours to get through Moutier and from there on to La Plagne/Les Arcs Tignes etc...I know it is Easter week this week but is this normal on a Saturday during peak time?

Is there anyway to avoid this road?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Hmmm, concerning. We are driving to Val d'Isere on Saturday, via Geneva to pick up a mate from the airport, so will be taking the Annecy-Ugine-Alberville route. We hope to turn onto the Moutiers road from Albertville around 9pm. Will it still be busy then?
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
When driving to the Tarentaise resorts:
1. Don't do it on a Saturday.
2. If you really must do it on a Saturday, make sure it's either at a very foolish hour of the early morning or ridiculously late at night (verging on foolish hours of the morning).
3. Civilised option: stay over in Annecy, have nice dinner by the lake, leave early on Sunday morning.

Quote:

Helicopter?
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Lizzard, So yesterday wasn't that abnormal Shocked
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Can anyone recommend a local radio station for traffic updates?
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
thefatcontroller, of course you can avoid the road - take the train Cool

I'm afraid your road experience is normal. When we used to drive out on a Saturday, we left at 0600.

If you want to ski the Saturday and are taking the plane, you would do better to stay down in the valley Saturday night, and fly out on Sunday.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Jonpim, Luckily we were on the other wise of the road, god help those travelling into Tarentaise, we always go off peak but with Easter so early last week was neither off peak or peak, very strange and busy on the slopes Mad

Shall keep the train in mind as helicopters are a wish not reality Toofy Grin
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
thefatcontroller, in my experience, that is particulary bad, but Moutiers can be very busy on a saturday, since all 3 valleys, paradiski, and espace killy traffic has to pass through there. As Lizzard said, no way round it, other than helicopter.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
hd wrote:

The Tourist Office in Les Arcs posts a forecast for when peak traffic will be on transfer day - perhaps other resort Offices do the same? I do all I can to avoid Saturdays but yesterday had no choice but to travel from Les Arcs to Geneva. I'd forgotten quite how awful it was. Even though I travelled the local roads from Les Arcs to Aime I added a two hour safety margin, and used all of that. Was too stressed for my own good when I got to the airport (although that was alleviated somewhat by BA who upgraded me to business class for reasons which they didn't explain Smile).
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
rob@rar, They had obvioulsy heard about your course success Laughing

The road was shocking wasn't it Shocked
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Train from Geneva to Moutiers is a bit bizarre - I think once a day you get a single change connection and it takes 2 or 3 hours, but the rest of the time it takes ages.

I've done Geneva to Val Thorens 3 times on Easter Saturday, typically leaving Geneva at 1pm and it's taken about 4 hours, I seem to remember delays going through Annecy, at some point mid way between Geneva and Annecy and at Ugine, nothing really serious just slow traffic for a bit. Not as bad as Val Gardena at the end of the local half term...
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
On Saturdays, HGVs are banned from roads throughout the Alps, which shows how busy it is. The whole thing's mad. Just don't go there, or go, as Lizzard says, go in the middle of the night. This last week was quite busy, maybe because it was the only non-school holiday week to choose. And Geneva was busy today (Sunday) because of that wretched car exhibition thing. Beats me why people sit in a traffic jam in their cars for ages, just to get into a horrifically busy car park to spend all day looking at cars then sit in their car in more jams on the way home. Takes all sorts, I suppose.

Don't do Alpine driving on Saturdays. Period.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
thefatcontroller wrote:

Ski in Switzerland, Austria, Italy or the other 90% of French resorts wink
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Left La Rosiere (on diy trip for Cool at 11 am yesterday as advised by taxi co to arrive Geneva for 5pm flight. Arrived 4.15pm. Only got on due to lucky 45 mins delay on inward flight.

All delays were up to the tunnel betwen Bourg and Moutiers.

Few worse feelings in life than sitting in a 30 mile jam in Bourg St Maurice in minibus you've organised with 7 mates who are about to have to pay for a hotel in Geneva plus a 2nd flight the next day.

Perhaps instead of staying over in Annecy Sat night, you might as well get a package deal and let some other b---er worry about it.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Experience has shown wink one must leave Montalbert before 8.00am to avoid slow traffic on a Saturday in peak season.
(This is why www.cgski.co.uk have a Sunday transfer Toofy Grin )
However Annecy is always a queue no matter what time of day/week Sad
Leaving the Tarentaise on a Saturday between 10.00am and 4pm guarantees a hold up, as any observant follower of snowHeads would know wink Toofy Grin Laughing

Last edited by Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name: on Sun 16-03-08 22:33; edited 1 time in total
latest report
chesterblade wrote:
All delays were up to the tunnel betwen Bourg and Moutiers.

They didn't seem to have the timing correct at the traffic-shaping lights on the bridge just before the tunnel. It seemed to be creating an unnecessarily tight bottleneck, as the road was just about clear as soon as you got past the lights.
snow conditions
rob@rar, Going back too many years the traffic in the tunnel became stationery and the resultant air pollution was unbearable. At least the lights on the new bypass bridge allow the traffic to queue in 'fresh air' Confused
latest report
boredsurfin, it didn't seem too bad in the tunnel yesterday, and the road down to Moutiers from the tunnel was as quiet as a weekday. I think they should have left an extra few cars through on each green light - don't think it would have made much difference to traffic in the tunnel or beyond, and certainly would have improved my mood somewhat!
ski holidays
rob@rar, The traffic control is down at Albertville so I guess they hold/control the flow through Moutier from there, going home after half term we queued in Aime for 2/3 mins and then at the tunnel for about 5 mins at 8.00am but the result was a clear run through to the peage at Albertville in the old days we would have also sat at Moutier for a good 10 or 15 mins as well.
snow report
hd wrote:

Bump.

rob@rar wrote:
The Tourist Office in Les Arcs posts a forecast for when peak traffic will be on transfer day

rob@rar, do you have a link?

Hoping we'll be ok seeing as we won't be on the Moutiers road until 10pm-ish.
latest report
I would be interested to know if anyone thinks the Alberville to Moutiers road will be congested next Good Friday afternoon?
snow report
[quote="hd"]
hd wrote:
rob@rar wrote:
The Tourist Office in Les Arcs posts a forecast for when peak traffic will be on transfer day

rob@rar, do you have a link?

I've only ever seen it posted in the window of the Arc 1800 Tourist Office.
snow conditions
boredsurfin, rob@rar, I was in the traffic on saturday but came off at cevins and took the road that runs along side the RN90 which takes you into moutiers avoided all the traffic saving a good 2 hours or so, if going out of aime/ moutiers then if traffic is bad you can also get off at augielle blanch which then follow signs to Cevins and albertville. Easy!! Very Happy wink
snow conditions
cockofthenorth, I've really got to learn that route (or make a better job or avoiding Saturdays)! Via Michelin here I come...
snow conditions
rob@rar, I too shall be trawling a map later wink Laughing

cockofthenorth, Thanks Cool
ski holidays
rob@rar, If you come off at Cevins you come to a junction take a right then your immediate left follow that road it is sign posted to moutiers and you will see that you are running along side the RN 90. eventually you end up in auigelle blanch which is just before the junctions for meribel, courcheval, etc. the only problem sometimes is that the police stop you coming off, just tell them your running out of petrol and you want to go the the petrol station in auigelle blanch! that sometimes works. Very Happy
snow report
What time should one aim to be at chambery/ moutiers or bourg to avoid such a traffic jams on a saturday morning?
Would 7am at chambery mean we would miss the worse?

Thanks
snow report
fizz, If your flight arrives Chambery @ 7am by the time you get bags, car etc....you would be very, very lucky to be out of airport by 7.30am, means hitting the area about 8.30am just getting busy. Buy a very detailed map of the area and read the shortcuts above.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Thanks, we are driving and currently staying over friday night in Beune, but i may change that. Any reccomendations on where to stay friday to be up in time to avoid traffic? Would we be better driving late into the night friday night to get further along e.g Albertville?
snow conditions
fizz, we usually stay near Macon, we leave there at 6ish on the Saturday and have always got to Les Arcs by lunch with few queues.
snow report
Live traffic info here
http://www.bison-fute.equipement.gouv.fr/diri/Accueil.do?langue=en
A season view here
http://www.bison-fute.equipement.gouv.fr/en/IMG/pdf/Panorama_Hiver_2007-2008-GB_cle2e51b9.pdf
esp. pages 9 and 10. There are also some good route suggestions in there as well as info on chains etc.

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Mon 17-03-08 17:33; edited 1 time in total
latest report
boredsurfin, that looks really useful (particularly since it appears to tell me that my trip in a couple of weeks won't be at such a peak!).
ski holidays
hd wrote:

107.7 for Autoroute info....all in French and can be a bit hard to understand what they're on about sometimes! We were listening in when travelling back on Saturday at February half term on the weekend the Parisians were heading out to the alps....they were quoting gobsmackingly long delays to get through the toll booths into the Tarentaise!!
ski holidays
Thread update.

Outward journey 22 March. From arrival in Calais 12pm the roads were empty all the way to BSM. We had to put chains on half way up to ValD but otherwise the journey was hassle free. Arrived ValD midnight. (had to pick up mate in Bellegarde nr Geneva)

Return journey 29 March. Departed ValD 7.30am. Traffic was noticeably heavier all the way to near Calais but we got stuck on only a couple of 5-10 minute jams in BSM and at the Reims peage. Traffic was piling out of the Tarentaise resorts though and we were glad we had got up early. Did anyone hit the N90 later in the day? Was it chaos?

Why do all Brits drive gas-guzzling 4x4s??? Mad

Why are all Belgians crap speeding drivers??? Confused

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Sun 30-03-08 21:34; edited 1 time in total
latest report
hd wrote:
Why are all Belgians crap speeding drivers??? Confused

Because anyone over the age of about late 30s has never taken a driving test - they simply got their full driving licences in the post on their 18th birthdays
latest report
hd wrote:

Try Radio Meribel (98.7Fm or thereabouts)
ski holidays
hd wrote:
Return journey 29 March. Departed ValD 7.30am. Traffic was noticeably heavier all the way to near Calais but we got stuck on only a couple of 5-10 minute jams in BSM and at the Reims peage. Traffic was piling out of the Tarentaise resorts though and we were glad we had got up early. Did anyone hit the N90 later in the day? Was it chaos?

Bump.
ski holidays
hd, Any answers here?

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=38141&highlight=
snow report
hd, we left St Martin (Belleville valley) at about 5pm (after skiing the day) - no probs at all getting down and through Moutiers and onwards. Spent the night near Geneva airport (had to drop someone at the airport the next morning). Easy drive on the next day to Calais
snow report
Early, or late, seems to be the best bet.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy