Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

The dangers of wearing a helmet - après-ski

Poster: A snowHead
NB This is not yet another thread on whether to wear a helmet Shocked

My old helmet being nearly 5 years old, I took delivery yesterday of a shiny new Salomon helmet. It came with this cautionary advice in the accompanying leaflet:

You must take off the helmet when you have finished your activity to eliminate a risk of hanging. Puzzled

As Salomon is French company I wondered if this might be a peculiar translation, but the French version is just as scary:

Retirer aussitôt le casque en fin de pratique afin d'éviter tout risque de pendaison.

Now I don't, as a rule, wear my helmet after skiing whether in the bar, the bath, the sauna or the shuttle bus, but what après-ski activity could carry the risk of hanging by the helmet? Answers on a plain postcard, please. Laughing
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
A motorcyclist had his head completely removed sliding under the safety barrier at a race track after falling off, the helmet did not quite fit through the gap. They place straw bales in front of them now when bike racing.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
ccl wrote:
what après-ski activity could carry the risk of hanging by the helmet?

Selling dope in Gulmarg twice.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Cats have been known to hang themselves by their collars. So never wear your helmet while chasing birds up trees.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Same problem with children & bike helmets. There have been a few cases ( at least here in Germany ) of children strangling themselves on playgrounds because their helmets got caught up in the railings. Just imagine the dangers facing you in the KK if you were wearing a helmet Shocked On the other hand think of the dangers facing you in the KK if you are not wearing a helmet Shocked
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
The problem is this: You inadvertently fail to remove the helmet (we all know how easy that is to do). You go to the bar, have a couple of beers, go to the bog, catc sight of yourself in the mirror, think God, do I look hideous in my expensive helmet, remove the helmet and hang yourself. Apparently it's the second biggest cause of skier death after dying of thirst waiting to be served in the KK.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
richmond, last time I was in the KK I didn't notice anyone dying of thirst. Now that you mention it though one Dutch guy did have a heart attack, which might have been induced by beer anxiety. Also the way some people have difficulty getting their skis on outside the KK, and the way they don't ski in a straight line could be attributed to dehydration. Possibly.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Steilhang, a bit of an exaggeration, perhaps, but the service ain't slick. Maybe I just look like a poor tipper.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Mind you.. I am always surprised by how so little as an extra inch around your head from a helmet; and I'm banging it into things all the time; that I didn't think I was anywer near; like.... door frames etc.... anyone else epxereinced this.. really weird how your own spatial awareness is clearly so accurate you cut it real fine how close your head comes to stuff a lot of the time without noticing...
(sorry a bit too serious i know ! I rather liked the witty posts, I hope I don't stop them!)
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
jonnyhifi, out of curiosity, do you wear glasses?
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
comprex wrote:
jonnyhifi, out of curiosity, do you wear glasses?
I do wear glasses; and no.. I don't catch them very often (though yes I have when stareing into cupboards. lol and small places)

Yes-- I am clumsy. ski down after me... not in front... lol

So: why the question about the glasses.. did you figure if I did; I would be like an unexploded bomb when walking around ? lol
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Glasses-> peripheral vision to large extent disregarded by brain because the glasses only subtend the arc of the primary gaze spot.

Sometimes the brain-dismissing-peripheral-vision thing can happen when wearing new sunnies or ones of unaccustomed shape. Or in the dark with a narrow-beam headlamp; ever been caving?

Helmet clearances are really -only- perceptible out the corner of the eye.

Clearer now?
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
comprex wrote:
Glasses-> peripheral vision to large extent disregarded by brain because the glasses only subtend the arc of the primary gaze spot.

Sometimes the brain-dismissing-peripheral-vision thing can happen when wearing new sunnies or ones of unaccustomed shape. Or in the dark with a narrow-beam headlamp; ever been caving?

Helmet clearances are really -only- perceptible out the corner of the eye.

Clearer now?

Mm interesting...

This makes me think of a theory I hatched a long time back; which I think is related. When a whipper snapper; I always used to get wound up by "mature" ladies and gents when driving; who wouldn't put on the windscreen wipers; till the screen was apparently engulfed by a torrent of water. Never mind when it was just spitting. Wheras myself: one or two spots on the screen; and I've just got to wipe them off.

It's not that I'm obsessively neat and tidy or anything: but I hatched the notion it wasn't to do with age but long sight: (which tends to go with being elderly). I being short sghted; always have these rain drops sharply in focus; wheras long sighted people don't even percieve them.... I guess this is another manifestation of when things are outside your perception space; your brain ignores them... well it has to doesn't it !
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Wouldn't it be a good idea for some snowheads to wear helmets for apres ski if recent reports are to be believed - if whipped off quickly enough they would serve as emergency receptacles if you closed the vents.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I've noticed the spatial awareness thing, mainly on lifts. I regularly bring the bar down on my helmet, but never brought it down on my head before I got my helmet. I don't wear glasses either Smile
latest report
element, I think that is actually because you make your head taller and wider..., but we would have to ask one of the pixies on this forum to be sure.
snow report
Megamum wrote:
Wouldn't it be a good idea for some snowheads to wear helmets for apres ski if recent reports are to be believed - if whipped off quickly enough they would serve as emergency receptacles if you closed the vents.

Some people have hoods for the same purpose Laughing
snow report
stoatsbrother, I think we may have our wires crossed. Unless I'm picking you up wrong, that's what I meant Smile . It's a demonstration of how finely tuned our proprioception is, that when you effectively alter the size of your body by only a cm or two, you whack into things. Shows how tight we must cut it normally, without realising.
snow report
element wrote:
stoatsbrother, I think we may have our wires crossed. Unless I'm picking you up wrong, that's what I meant Smile . It's a demonstration of how finely tuned our proprioception is, that when you effectively alter the size of your body by only a cm or two, you whack into things. Shows how tight we must cut it normally, without realising.

I have been known to alter the size of my body by a few more cm than that and whack into things Laughing Twisted Evil Laughing
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy