Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ski Touring Backpack advice

Poster: A snowHead
If you've got all your other stuff already, how about you buying both from an online shop with a good returns policy? Then you can see which one fits with a suitable allowance for extra bits?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
plectrum wrote:
DB, I looked at a 35L size and it looks pretty big. Crampons really arn't bulky as quite flat

Flat Puzzled

boot crampons
http://www.grivelnorthamerica.com/products.php?gid=5&id=47

ski crampons
http://www.telemark-pyrenees.com/shop/product_info.php?products_id=3116

plectrum wrote:
personally I think alot of guides advise 45-50L because for any more enduring tours I think you would need the space. I also think that by the time you are a guide doing it year in year out touring becomes more about comfort and so extra clothing etc.

.... go large or stay tidy ???

The guides typically recommend 45-50 for the other course/tour participants, guides would usually be carrying more kit and might even go for a larger rucksack. So you do your first multiday tour (ca 3 days) then you get the bug then you want to do a full week then you realize your 35 litre pack is too small. Personally I don't see much of a downside going for a 40+10 litre rucksack as oppossed to a 35 litre one but the choice is yours.

http://www.chamex.com/equipment-list

http://www.cosleyhouston.com/berner-tour-eq-list.htm

http://www.getboard.com/ski_snowboard_check_list.htm
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
plectrum, Go for 40L + 10L - it won't be much bigger than 35, and then you can get everything in. The test is DB, 's 'booting up ... in the spring sun' - 'cos you'll want to have everything in your pack (Jacket, gloves, overtrousers etc). Most of the space will get taken up with safety stuff (rope, crampons, shovel) even then.... Mrs Ski has just bought a Deuter AC-lite 45-10 which has an adjustable back, but weighs almost nothing. I have a Mouuntain Equipment Solitude (quite old) 45L which fits OK, but is also very light.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
DB, ski crampons fit snugly around your skins or (if you go dynafit) you can clip them to your harness for easy access
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Arno wrote:
DB, ski crampons fit snugly around your skins or (if you go dynafit) you can clip them to your harness for easy access

Crampons on a harness Cool

Find it's the boot crampons in their protective sack that take up the space. It's possible to stuff socks etc in the boot crampon sack too but as soon as you use the boot crampons you have to find another place for this stuff or it gets mucky. Packing everything in like a 3D jigsaw puzzle nicely at home is one thing, doing it on the side of a mountain with a howling gail and driving snow is another. Particulary as small items (gloves, socks etc) either fly away or run off like a scared rabbbit down the mountain. I go for a little bit of space over the theorectical minimum so I can stuff it in and sort it out later.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
yep - boot crampons are bulky, weigh a lot and make holes in things if you aren't careful. that said, they're the one bit of hardware where all those factors don't annoy me that much given how useful they are when you really need them!

edit: clipping ski crampons to your harness isn't such a good idea on the way down
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
DB wrote:
doing it on the side of a mountain with a howling gail.

One can only feel sorry for Gail.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Very Happy Now there's a freudian slip if ever a wrote one.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Ski crampons/harscheisen/couteaux go around the skins in the skins bag as Arno said. Boot crampons: one of the good things about my sack is bungy webbing on the outside of the bag that hold them quite nicely in between the ice-axe and shovel handle. Another reason I don't like the diagonal ski-carry systems. Just make sure you don't reverse hard into anything/body Wink . I'd always make sure there was something like that on a touring sack (some sacks have special crampon pockets instead).
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
DB,
Quote:

Packing everything in like a 3D jigsaw

I was once told 'Pack everything at the top' Laughing Laughing Laughing

On of the things I like about Mrs Ski's pack is that you can access the bottom of the sack easily (got a zip at the bottom)... this does mean more weight, but it means she can have her hut stuff and down jacket out of the way, and not have to fight through crampons, skins etc to find it.

GrahamN, I've never been a fan of cramps on the outside of the bag (other than for short periods) - don't they get in the way, or fall off ?
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
ski, my bag has a sort of cross-gartering/cats-cradle arrangement with the bungies on little hooks either side. Unhook a couple, slip the cramps in and rehook. The cramps' prongs keep them perfectly secure, and never get in the way (as I say unless reversing sharply - then watch out behind). Done two full weeks like that with no problems. Also have the side effect of a nice brake if you happen to fall onto your back Very Happy .
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Okay I'm going to go bigger. I'll let you know how it is when I return.

DB, I'm on a Silvretta Alpine Tour 7 days, 6 nights. I need all equipment bar ice axes and serious climbing equipment although ropes and harness as well as both crampons are a must.

By the way if anyone wants to come I think there is 3 more spaces, currently we are ~ 5. The guide is superb over 30yrs experience and UAIGM. First main week in April 5th to 12th.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
plectrum, Nice tour ! Mrs Ski and I did some there a couple of years ago... the Wiesbadener Hutte is in a fantastic location... have fun. We off tomorrow to have a crack at the Gran Paradiso...

I have some of these http://www.telemark-pyrenees.com/shop/product_info.php?cPath=2_62_27&products_id=81 to play with. Hopefully they will stay on my tele boots Toofy Grin
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
plectrum,

Had a great time doing the Silvretta's, sure you will enjoy it too.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Yes the guide was very pleased with the weather this month and feels it should be a great week. I'm looking forward to it but have been a little lazy with cycling of late so a touch unfit. I'm sure it is going to be a sharp wake up call.

Smile yippee.

ski, The huts look plush 5* at 3000m Wink
snow report
plectrum, the problem with starting off with austrian huts is that you get accustomed to the luxury! have fun
latest report
Arno, La Meije looks so cool, was seriously tempted to go for it, I guess just had doubts that 36l would be too small. Your pack is 39l being the Large size so perhaps that just gives it the edge.

Anyway I guess they are not ultra expensive ~ £80 so if the deuter ain't the one for touring i'll just use it for other things such as taking up space under the bed!
snow report
Pretty cool the way on the Marmot site if you look at the pro team Doug Coombs is still listed as a member!
snow conditions
Arno, We heard good things about Italian food... that's why we're going there this time.
snow report
bit late joining this thread......
Quote:
plectrum, the problem with starting off with austrian huts is that you get accustomed to the luxury!
Don't forget to take a small pack-towel - showers / H&C running water available in (some?) Austrian OAV huts Smile

Just back from free-heel tour in Stubai alps lead by John Eames - great trip, but got weathered-in to Amberger hut, so forced to taxi round to Stubai Glacier for 2 days lift-served teleing in 40cm pow. - tough!!! Madeye-Smiley

If you're interested, trip pics here

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Wed 19-03-08 19:40; edited 3 times in total
snow conditions
ski, I've only stayed in a couple of Italian huts. one was in the Sud Tirol so it had the best of both worlds - comfortable (with showers) like an Austrian one but with Italian food! the only foody thing to look out for (IMO) is polenta which I am not a big fan of
snow report
Arno,

Too right...Polenta is cheapo muck, IMV
ski holidays
Oops,
I was using my bag today and noticed it is in fact the Black Diamond Revelation 45 L model, I do have a BCA 35 l. sac and its only suitable for day missions not involving too much stuff. Embarassed
snow report
plectrum, Allow yourself a little more room now, then you won't have to buy a bigger sack later wink If you can't stick (boot) crampons on the outside, you'll need that 40L at least. Harness and crevasse gear take a lot of space.
snow report
JT, Arno, Vittorio Sella hut - food was fantastic ! And no polenta ! Mrs Ski damaged a knee so we didn't get any further Sad
ski holidays
ski, My back pack is 45l+10l and it is packed, weighs around 13 kilo and feels it. I may try to dump somethign before I set off as it seems a bit ridiculous. Would have been screwed though with a smaller sack.
snow report
Great photos geoffers.
snow report
Don't even think of buying anything other than a Macpac sack. Simple (ie every feature has a genuine purpose other than simply adding weight) and bomb-proof. No competition.

(And, no, I don't work for them.)
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy