Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Thank You

Poster: A snowHead
VolklAttivaS5, no it was never mentioned at a group level but during my debrief.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
masmith, right.

Someone mentioned New Gen earlier on, they have got specific training courses for L2 here :-

http://www.skinewgen.com/instructor-courses/alpine-level-2.html

http://www.skinewgen.com/instructor-courses/itc/PDF/Preseason%20Training%20for%20Alpine%20L2.pdf

One in Oct and one in Nov by the looks of things. I know you're keen on doing a race week but what you could do is, do a L2 specific course first like this one, see where you're at, and then do the racing one another time later. Or do a bit of racing at your local slope like GrahamN says.

Also the L2 specific course is just that, specific, because remember for L2 it's not just about if you can do the performance elements in the bumps and off piste, carving etc, it's the teaching bits as well that you need to do right. They are a good idea those specific courses, I think they have only been out this last season or maybe even new for this coming season.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
masmith, There is a theory that if people are serious about becoming a paid instructor then they should do the race qualification at as young an age as possible.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
rjs, is there a minimum level you have to be before taking Eurotest? What I mean by that is, the majority of people taking ET are usually ISTD already and need it to finish off, or may be ISIA. Can you rock up with your BASI L1 and take it (as long as you are good enough to have a chance at passing it?) and then do the rest of the modules later?
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
VolklAttivaS5, yes I think you can, but the people doing that will normally be ex-racers anyway, and just wanting to get through the quals asap.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
beanie1, yes definitely, and want to get it done while they are young and before any injuries stop them doing it later.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
beanie1, The suggestion was for everybody, it had nothing to do with total time to complete ISTD.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
rjs, of course I understand that, but I think if you're starting race training from scratch at the same time you start working through the instructor qualifications, by the time you're good enough to even attempt the Eurotest you'll probably be at ISIA level and training for ISTD anyway. If you were good enough to get to Eurotest level quickly you'd breeze through the other courses quickly too in my view.

If you're already good enough to do the Eurotest when you start instructor training then you will be from a racing background.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
VolklAttivaS5, Anyone training for and taking Eurotest or TT are racers, they will see exactly the same decline in performance and increase in injuries with age as someone doing FIS races.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
rjs, but if they are good enough (from a racing background) to take and pass Eurotest straight off then what I meant was that surely they are better off doing it straight away and getting it out of the way because if they leave it until later then they could fall down on their ISIA tech or L2 course even and get an injury which could hinder or exclude them from doing Eurotest training in the future. So if they're good enough they'd do it as soon as possible wouldn't they?
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
rjs, which i why I don't understand why there's currently no age allowance for the Eurotest. Can understand the "objective test" argument for having the Eurotest, do not understand why no allowance is made for age though. If they make an allowance for women who are physically weaker than men, why not for older people who are physically less able?
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
VolklAttivaS5, beanie1, This has nothing to do with whether someone has raced as a child, just on whether they will be able to pass at all if they don't take the test in their 20s.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
masmith,

Congratulations on a strong skiing performance on your level 1, feel I need to bring some clarity to above and our de-brief. I highly recommended an 'AT Performance' course for off season skill development or 'Race' to improve piste performance (and because I thought it would float your boat!) these are on the regular program.
Then I jumped ship to discuss the 'Pro' courses, I recommended following the links there to basi level 2 specific training weeks (not Eurotest), hope this helps. Good luck with your decision making, I don't go on here to often so please feel free to email if you have any further queries.

Ps- Kind regards Robrar for your commendations.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Chefski, it helps a great deal, thanks ! I was going to drop you a line as I was starting to get really confused, the guys on here who know more than me were telling me things which were putting doubt into my mind and which on the surface conflicted what I believd you had said, it all happened pretty quick - it was jumping to pro course and getting that confused with the race course on that section which did me in. Last thing I would want is to turn up on a totally inappropriate course and feel a right trolley, let alone it be a total waste of time, money and effort.

Sorry to all on here for the confusion Embarassed (I could tell by some of the reactions that something wasn't right and the more I started to hear and read about Eurotest the more I though oh shhiiiit), and thanks Chefski for clearing it up (and of course for a great 5 days) ! Good fun tho!

Last edited by You know it makes sense. on Fri 10-07-09 20:09; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
masmith, Laughing no probs, well at least you know now to definitely get yourself onto an All Terrain course or similar all round course which will give you the correct grounding for L2 hey.
ski holidays
VolklAttivaS5, too right, fells like a weight has been lifted.
ski holidays
rjs, the people I presonally know who've passed recently have been in their 30s. It's taken them this long to have the time / money to train, having not raced before they started instructor training in their 20s.
snow report
rjs wrote:
masmith, I'm one of the race coaches at Castleford, if you want any information look here.

thanks for the info, I am keen on this so will hopefully see you there sometime soon ...
snow conditions
VolklAttivaS5, yes absolutley ! Now it all makes sense.
snow report
masmith wrote:
may have to cancel one of the lads weekends away, but sshhh don't tell kruisler yet.

Too late!
That just not on Mr Smith! We 'd better see you in Kitz!! Don't make me track you and your caravan down to come and kick your butt! Toofy Grin

Oh and you can take all the training you want, I'll still be right there...biting at your heels! Twisted Evil
snow report
Kruisler, Kitzbuhel not in doubt my friend Very Happy
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy