Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

SCOTLAND May Day weekend YEEEHAAA!

Poster: A snowHead
Yeah I would say another week and it wont be possible to ski anymore in Scotland!
Lets all go to South America!
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Nope it will be possible to ski well into June in scotland, even if it is only on the snow fields in areas such as Ciste Mhaerad, or Coire Domhain.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Don't know what the fuel at the pumps will be like to get up and down though. Puzzled
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
T Bar, You could have a point there rolling eyes

Apparently there are now queues at the petrol station's in Carlisle!
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Just driven in to work through aberdeen - no queues at any of the petrol stations I passed and no signs saying out of fuel. Will probably fill up on my way home though as I'm thinking of heading over to Cairngorm tomorrow and fuel over there is ludicrously expensive.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Yup, there will be snow, the petrol situation is worrying though - will have to wait and see what the situation is next week.

I guess I could always fill up a few cans and take them with me Puzzled
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Full details (petrol willing) for the weekend are now here (Word document download)

Seems like fun for the whole family! Very Happy
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
BTW, I'm now considering flying up to Edinburgh and then getting a hire car with presumably a full tank which should get me there and back again - seems like that might be a way to beat the petrol problem!
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I was up at Nevis today. There has been significant snow loss over the week, and the hill certainly doesn't look pretty from the access road. However, there is still a lot of snow on the upper mountain. The Goose has full (Wide) cover up to a point approximately level with the top of the quad chair; after that it's a bit thinner, but you can still ski to the foot of the Goose T-Bar. The summit runs also retain full cover and apparently Warren's is still passable, although I didn't ski that today.

The Back Corries are still well loaded, and the braveheart chair span today. The Cornices are getting a bit unstable - a massive crack appeared today next to the entry to Chancer, and there is a lot of avalanche debris from fallen cornices on the traverse back round towards the Snowgoose. It is possible to ski to the top of the Rob Roy T Bar from the Back Corries, and then it's a 300m walk back to the snowgoose.

Lovely granular spring snow today, great for wide carving turns.

Nevis are now shut on weekdays from tomorrow, but will assess the snow for next weekend. There is some potential for snowfall this week. Glencoe have joined Glenshee and (probably) the Lecht in shutting for the season - drove past Glencoe an hour or so ago, and it still looked well loaded so closing is a shame.

That might be it for me this year now -off to the Lakes next weekend walking, so will miss out on the Cairngorm cheapfest. 35 days on Scottish snow though - not a bad season!
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
^ real shame to hear that Glencoe are now closed, that leaves Cairngorm and Nevis flying the flag!

Looks like the family are coming with me next weekend so I'll be driving up as mentioned above, not flying. Hopefully with a few spare cans of petrol we should make it there and back again. The programme of events is looking good and if I feel like something different I might head Nevis way one day over the weekend - will see how it goes.

Glad you got so much skiing in this season Barclay, it's been a real corker of a season IMHO snowHead
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Quote:

35 days on Scottish snow though - not a bad season!

31 days fro me so far, beats my previous record of 29 days from the 05/06 season.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Soooo, just the family and me and the guys from Scotland I presume this time...

... nobody else?

Fuel situation looks fine now and the most recent photos (Sunday) 27th look decent enough (particularly for the time of year and there's more off-piste round the back I believe). There's also been some overnight snow at the top over the last few days and that's forecast to continue for a while longer although temperatures in the day towards the end of the week are above freezing. The weather going into the weekend at this point in time looks pretty decent though so that's promising Very Happy

We're staying at the High Range by the way, £55 per night for 2 adults and 2 kids - now did somebody try to say Scotland was expensive?
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Just so the tumble weed doesn't completely take over in this thread here are some more details of what's going on at Cairngorm over the weekend.

Ice Bar
The Ice Bar will be run by the Cairngorm Brewery on both Saturday and Sunday outside the Top Station.

Hog Roast
The Hog Roast will run outside the Cas Bar at the top of the car park on Sunday only. (available from around 11am).

Snow Cave
A snow cave is being constructed in the snow pack of the huge jump that is located in the fun park in the Ptarmigan Bowl

Tickets
Online ski tickets for the weekend will be for sale on the wesbite

Last edited by So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much on Thu 1-05-08 16:35; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
What are the conditions looking like and any news on the West opening? I really can't see how I can make it, plenty of family commitments and the missus won't ski scotland since getting blown uphill many moons ago.............
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Quote:
the missus won't ski scotland since getting blown uphill many moons ago.............

Maybe now's not the time to share stories of riding the Daylodge Poma DOWNHILL.. Laughing
ski holidays
kitenski wrote:
What are the conditions looking like and any news on the West opening? I really can't see how I can make it, plenty of family commitments

I don't know about the west but there seems to be little major loss in the last few days on Cairngorm at the top judging by the webcams, they've had some fresh higher up most nights this week too. Lower down it's patchy but the Cas is still open although the gunbarrell is reported as being narrow, good for practising short swings though snowHead From the last photos I saw the Ciste gully and West Wall were skiable with a walk out too, there's some from last Sunday here on Winterhighland to give you an idea.

Although some challenging stuff would be nice, for me it's really a nice weekend getaway with the family with some sliding thrown in to round off the season so I'm not too up tight about not being able to ski the steeps if that turns out to be the case.

If the worse comes to the worse I'll be happy sitting at the top drinking some of that lovely Cairngorm Brewery beer - highly recommended! Toofy Grin
Quote:
and the missus won't ski scotland since getting blown uphill many moons ago.............

I was blown uphill at Cairngorm in January - have been back to Scotland to ski since though Laughing
snow report
Right, mother is booked to look after the kids, hubby is going to visit his mum, none of my pals have cancelled ... so, I'm as sure as I can be that I'll be hitching a lift in my friends' motorhome on Saturday morning. Hope to arrive early afternoon and may get a bit of skiing in, definately early start on Sunday (hangover permitting!!) and back home on Sunday evening.
roga, I'm fat, fortyish, not very good skier and will be wearing a light blue soft shell so if you see me in a bar say "hi" Very Happy Very Happy
ski holidays
Nevis has closed for the season, so it'll just be Cairngorm this weekend... Sad
latest report
ickabodblue wrote:
roga, I'm fat, fortyish, not very good skier and will be wearing a light blue soft shell so if you see me in a bar say "hi" Very Happy Very Happy

ickabodblue, so your not the same person I met at the Breahead ski test then Confused
snow report
II, Laughing Laughing No I've got a new jacket now, otherwise it would've been fat, forty etc with a yellow jacket!
snow conditions
Ok if Nevis is shut I'll be heading to Cairngorm whichever day looks best - I'll decide tomorrow night wink
ski holidays
There are some photos up on the Highland Instinct forum here showing conditions yesterday - plenty of snow for the time of year but apparently quite sticky!
snow conditions
Nevis is and will be shut, it's the 'Gorm or nowt...

from the nevis website:

The Gondola is open throughout the summer 10am to 5pm weather permiting until mid November

Due to the weather forecast we will not be open for skiing and boarding over the weekend

Skiing and snowboarding is now closed for the season. See you on the slopes next winter.
snow conditions
ickabodblue, I'll look out for you, although I'm sure the description you give isn't totally accurate Laughing

See you there II - it'll be strange seeing you at Cairngorm, so used to meeting in the west!
snow conditions
Well that was a great weekend - really sad it's over now but have great memories and despite putting factor 50 sun block on yesterday people keep telling me I've caught the sun Shocked

II, ickabodblue - sorry I missed you though!

That's it I'd guess, the snow was dissapearing fast over the weekend and I'd be doubtfulk about their having enough to open next weekend.

It's now a few months of skiing on dry and the occasionally at Tamworth (when the heat gets too much lol) but I have the Tignes equipment test to look forward to in October - any regulars on the Scottish threads planning on going? Would be good to see folk out there if anyone fancies it Very Happy

Ah well, I'll next be up north of the border in late August - I have a party in Ullapool to go to... no snow though Crying or Very sad

I'll try to post more soon - I have photos from this trip and Easter to get up sometime!
snow report
Quote:

It's now a few months of skiing on dry and the occasionally at Tamworth (when the heat gets too much lol) but I have the Tignes equipment test to look forward to in October - any regulars on the Scottish threads planning on going? Would be good to see folk out there if anyone fancies it

But will there be any tele kit to test? I'm in the market for new skis and possibly boots - mine took a beating this year (46 days on snow, 33 in scotland). Very tempted though.
snow conditions
roga, Glad you had such a good time, it is unseasonably warm here in Glasgow today so definately think it's over Sad Still it had been 30 odd years since I skied in Scotland ( I was only a toddler last time wink ) and I hope to do lots more next year.
We went camping up near Ullapool last year, place called Clachtoll, really beautiful part of the country, hope you don't get snow then!!!
ski holidays
Dave Horsley wrote:
But will there be any tele kit to test? I'm in the market for new skis and possibly boots - mine took a beating this year (46 days on snow, 33 in scotland). Very tempted though.

Hey Dave, give them a shout and see if they can sort you out with something - do Atomic do tele kit?

The person to speak to in the first instance is Joanne Mountainsun who should be able to check up on the tele kit for you - see the October thread here and the December one here.

BTW, the guy who runs the chalet is from Boat of Garten and grew up skiing the Gorm Very Happy
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy