Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

grand canyon, ski, yellowstonepark,

Poster: A snowHead
planning a trip over the pond, would like to spend couple of days at the grand canyon, and a couple of days at yellow stone park, so i am looking for a ski resort some were in the middle of the two, thinking of some where in utah, flying maybe to saltlake (aprox 8-9 hrs drive from both) has anyone done this befor, tips and advice greatly needed, mannythanks to all great info site is snowHead
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
sami, Welcome to snowHead 's. I've flown into Las Vegas, driven up to SLC via Bryce Canyon and Zion, skied at Snowbird and Brighton whilst staying in SLC, and driven back.

Observations:

It's a long drive but fantastic scenery most of the way.

Brighton and Snowbird are great, but you wouldn't stay there (very little accom anyway)

Park City looks like the best resort for some life and atmosphere - went there but didn't ski.

Yellowstone is a long way in the other direction but Jackson Hole looks fabbo for extreme stuff.

I loved it - more of a holiday with a bit of skiing but none the worse for that. snowHead
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Consider Jackson Hole or go north to Big Sky, then come down to Yellowstone.
I've driven from SLC to Jackson, it's about 5 hours.

How long were you planning to go for?
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
kewhoward, thanks.. how long was the drive LV to SLC,, google maps say aprox 6hrs without bryce and zion..
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
sami, a lot depends on hire cars pick up/drop off etc. JH or Big Sky are the obvious ski areas I'd of thought for practical reasons. Fly from Grand Canyon (LV) to Jackson or can't remember the name of the nearest airport to Big Sky, might be Kalispell or Missoula ?? Big Sky is 20mins or so from one of the entrances to Yellowstone.

Also check the Yellowstone website because they close it totally for a week or two going from winter to spring.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Nickski, Boseman (iirc) is the nearest to Big Sky.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Wear The Fox Hat, thanks will do, plan to go for min 2weeks, mainly skiing, with two days at grand canyon and two days at yellowstone, (900miles apart) looking for advice and ski resort some where in middle cheers, also not ruled out a motorhome.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
OK, how's this for an itinerary:
Fly with North West via Minneapolis into Bozeman (notice my change of spelling to the correct one!)
Pick up a rental and go up to Big Sky (5 days). Stay at the Huntley Lodge, or at the Moonlight Lodge (from memory) - about 45 minutes from the airport.
Drive down through Yellowstone to Jackson Hole (2-3 days)
Ski at Jackson for 5 days, plenty of accomodation options depending on your budget.
Fly from JH to Vegas. Do the grand canyon from there.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Wear The Fox Hat, thats got me thinking, just looked at the canyon web site and the north rim is closed most off the winter so flying down to LV may be better,, cheers excellent advice,
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
sami, North Rim closure can be exaggerated - it says until May on my map but it was clear in March when I was there. Also you can do South Rim from Vegas.

We did do SLC to LV in one slog one way - driving time (non stop) is indeed about 6 hrs - elapsed time for us was about 9 or 10 by choice - we had all day and enjoyed it. Doing it over two days though and calling in a Bryce and Zion was great. On another trip we also went to Arches and Canyonlands which are equally impressive. Its a unique part of the world...

I'd agree with the others though - to do Jellystone and the Tetons (JH) as well as LV then you need to fly between the two or have plenty of time and enjoy driving.... snowHead
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
kewhoward, ok thanks, just looking at jellystone web site, not good news as most of the entrances are closed to wheeled vehicles in winter.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I would advice skip Grand Canyon altogether. It's hardly what it crack up to be except to say you've been there.

The only reason to drive south is indeed to visit Bryce and Zion. Ending the trip in Grand Canyon and flying out from LV is not a bad option either. Though on a seperate trip dedicated for the desert south, idealy in spring when there's wild flowers (April/May).

I may sound like an know it all kind. But the US is not just a country, it's half a continent. Trying to cover 1/4 of a continent in 2 weeks is rushing it and missing all the good stuff.

The advice of heading north hitting Jackson Hole, Big Sky, with a side trip to Yellowstone is a much better one. And if you have the extra time, I'd keep going north to Banff!!! Smile
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
abc, I may sound like an know it all kind. not at all thanks for the sound advice.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
abc wrote:
I would advice skip Grand Canyon altogether. It's hardly what it crack up to be except to say you've been there.

The only reason to drive south is indeed to visit Bryce and Zion. Ending the trip in Grand Canyon and flying out from LV is not a bad option either. Though on a seperate trip dedicated for the desert south, idealy in spring when there's wild flowers (April/May).

I may sound like an know it all kind. But the US is not just a country, it's half a continent. Trying to cover 1/4 of a continent in 2 weeks is rushing it and missing all the good stuff.

The advice of heading north hitting Jackson Hole, Big Sky, with a side trip to Yellowstone is a much better one. And if you have the extra time, I'd keep going north to Banff!!! Smile

I'm with abc on this one.

Great skiing to be had at Jackson Hole and Big Sky as others have said.

But there's also great skiing at some of the lesser known ski areas in and around that area:

Grand Targhee, WY
White Pine, WY

http://www.wyomingtourism.org/cms/d/winter_activities.php

Bridger Bowl, MT
Discovery, MT
Lost Trail, MT
Moonlight Basin, MT
Montana Snowbowl, MT

http://www.skimt.com/dhski.htm
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Ok I went to Jackson 6 weeks ago for nearly 3 weeks snow mobiling in Yellowstone is amazing if I knew how to post piccy's up you would be astounded the tetons are beautiful and Grand Targhee is ok although a bit mild Wink

Have a amazing time
ski holidays
Was driving though Moab Utah yesterday on route to Idaho where I am now Very Happy
snow report
Helen LS, .. now thinking of giving grand canyon a mis, and doing yellow stone on the snowmobile, ive been looking at some rental sites with multi-days tours working out at $400 a day.
Helen LS, who did you rent snowmobile from, and where they ok,,, ive been looking at this site, looks good to me.
snow conditions
Errr I cant remember I did one of the day trips where they pick you up from your hotel take you to their office give you brekkie and then drive to the park and then you ride to old faithfull I thought it would be hellish with so many people as it was presidents weekend but it was fine not to touristed out at all !! I think it cost about $230 for the day trip but that included lunch and it was all pretty good a long fun day though !

I did want to do the loop tour which includes old faithfull and the grand canyon in yellowstone but no companies had any tours going at that time they seemed to be wanting to just do one or the other it was a great day though and yellowstone was lovely if you use face book my photos are on there ?

if you can combine it with doing one of the camps the jackson ski school do they are really amazing value ?
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy