Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Do you have a ski boot hygiene problem?

Poster: A snowHead
This is from the website of Ski Republic, the new ski equipment hire chain in France:
Quote:
We believe in the strictest standards of boot hygiene, utilising special insoles at all times to avoid any suspicious smells.

In all seriousness, how do "special insoles" prevent one punter's foot bacteria affecting the next punter's?
Without putting too fine a point on this, a sweaty foot (not necessarily washed every morning) inside a synthetic inner boot will generate a fair amount of bacteria over a week. Not sure that there's anything suspicious about it.

On a personal level, how do you deal with ski boot hygiene issues?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Insoles using 'Silver Fiber' kill all known bacteria 'Dead'.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
What about the rest of the inner boot, which must be 3-4 times the surface area of the insole?
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
David Goldsmith wrote:
On a personal level, how do you deal with ski boot hygiene issues?

I take a deep breath on approaching the boots and hold it until I've got my feet in.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
David Goldsmith, Have you got smelly shins? Laughing
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Baking soda; plonk it in kills the smell Very Happy Normally all summer and then every couple of weeks during the season when I am not using them
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I just pop em in the washing machine - 40C - in with the 'delicates'. Makes a bit of a racket but lovely and fresh after.

Line dry - obviously...
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
red 27, Quality line.

Ordhan, I saw that in a copy of a ski mag, have not tried it but will give it a go if I remember!
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I washed my liners on a cold wash in the washing machine.

Seemed to do the job.

Now i've got more ski socks and i don't have wear a pair more than once the smell problem seems to have disappeared.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ordhan, do you just use the powder, then tip out the surplus? Sounds like a good idea; it does the job in fridges.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
David Goldsmith, I think your issue about the rest of the foot is correct. The insole is just under the sole of the foot. I was taught at school that we have sweat glands over most of our skin. I would have thought the bacteria would need to have touched the silver to kill it. Maybe the shops need to insist on silver woven into the the entire inner of the boot or insist that skiers/boarders use sock impregnated with it.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Yes, but it's not my problem Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Quote:

Now i've got more ski socks and i don't have wear a pair more than once the smell problem seems to have disappeared.

Yes, lower, I agree with you and for those snowHead that suffer with stinking boots (obviously stinking hire boots can't really be avoided-this is assuming you have your own boots) this is the key to non-smelling boots IMHO. If they are that bad then you might as well write them off and start as you mean to go on when you get your next new boots.

After all, if we were to go to the gym for a workout and then go back the next day for another workout say or the day after that even then we wouldn't dream of putting the same socks back on would we?! They would be put in the linen basket and then washed in the washing machine at the earliest opportunity. Generally. Hopefully. Toofy Grin

So why would skiing be any different considering its a pretty more taxing than your average gym workout? Yuck! Considering that the extra cost of a pair of socks for each ski day is not a lot compared with the overall cost of skiing as a hobby in the grand scheme of things its very worthwhile to get enough socks to keep your own boots nice. Drying the boots is important too after each ski day.

Plus personally, I think washing your feet with soap (yes with soap!-not just letting water swish over them a bit like many people do when they have a shower) before you put a fresh pair of ski socks on makes a huge difference! I've only owned one pair of ski boots so far but ever since I caught the whiff of some hire boots (like a rat had died in them or something) I swore to myself then that my boots would never get like that and so I have kept to the "wash feet with soap-yes with soap! and clean pair of socks" scenario every day I go skiing plus drying them properly overnight and guess what-my boots have never stunk! Funny that. Also socks like Smartwool are good for stopping feet stinking to start with!

As for the socks, well, no-ones a saint are they and everyones feet sweat/ponk a bit after a days skiing, who's doesn't. Unless they are sat sunning themselves outside a mountain restaurant all day and not actually doing any skiing. But them socks won't be worn again that week or even swilled in the sink trust me! Laughing Laughing Well worth it for non minging boots I reckon.

snowHead
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Smartwool socks + boot dryer = non smelly boots

As above, fresh pair of socks each day and use the boot dryer straight away.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
DO NOT WASH YOUR LINERS. IT VOIDS ANY WARRANTY AND BREAKS DOWN THE LINER. THIS MAKES YOUR FEET COLDER.

Seriously. I've fitted boots for a long time. If you wash your liners it breaks down the glues and resins that hold all the materials together. If those break down then the material in your liner will form clumps and folds. This causes sore spots and numbness. No foot bed can fix this.

Now here is the trick to keeping bacteria away. Use Anti bacterial baby wipes once a week during the season. Just quickly wiping the liner inside and out before placing them on my thermanator boot dryer. At the end of the season spray them good with Lysol anti bacterial spray and place them in the sunshine for about 2 hours.

You will be good to go for the next season.

And the biggest advice I can give people that have sweaty smelly feet. Use your antiperspirant on your feet before you put your ski socks on.
snow report
VolklAttivaS5,
Quote:

If they are that bad then you might as well write them off and start as you mean to go on when you get your next new boots.
You must be rich!

One question for one and all - just when have you ever been on a chairlift, on the piste, in a bar, gondola, etc etc and thought 'Jings, that person's feet are rank, it must be their boot liners...'

50p air fresheners from supermarket have been tried in this house when the boots get consigned to summer storage, but to be honest it was rubbish. The bicarb does sound a good idea though.
Clothes peg sounds good to me.

Megamum - true we have sweat glands on our shins too, but there are different types of sweat glands on our body and the ones on our feet are the pongy kind. Some of us are just plain unlucky and have honky feet. Sad
snow conditions
MarjMJ, When they get their next new boots. As in when they have new boots one day, whenever that might be, or indeed if they ever do, then start as they mean to go on with the new boots and don't let them get in the same state as the last pair by taking the precautions above as we have commented eg try bicarb of soda, try clean socks, etc etc.
ski holidays
You lot want to try smelling climbing boots after an indoor training session Shocked
ski holidays
I just wash my socks in the shower each evening. Never worried about it any more than that.
ski holidays
My last pair of boots started to pong really badly and nothing I tried completely got rid of the smell, I was quite surprised at how bad actually because I've never had smelly feet problems. They weren't particularly old but saw quite a lot of use over the year I used them, including quite a lot of time instructing in summer and autumn on dry - that might be one of the main reasons they got really smelly 'coz I was silly enough to not always pull the inners out after a days use and it was often hot at that time of year so the feet were pretty sweaty.

My new boots, which I've used quite a bit now, have so far been nasty pong free but I have been better at airing them off after every day I've used them, including time on dry. However these have ZipFit liners in them and I get the impression, rightly or wrongly that they're helping to keep the pongs at bay. They smell almost the same now as when I got them, actually probably a lot less, there's a very slight smell reminiscent of EvoStick impact adhesive but unlike the glue it doesn't make you high if you smell it before anyone gets their hopes up Wink . Perhaps not the stuff that perfumes are made of but far preferable to eau de sweaty mouldy boot! Toofy Grin
snow report
the best thing to put on your feet, before clamping them into a pair of boots for 10 hours, is atheletes foot cream..
snow report
CANV CANVINGTON, and if you don't want to go the pharmaceutical route, you can use coconut oil or Vicks Vapour Rub
ski holidays
Anyone also suffer from smelly gloves? I am experimenting with Scholl shoe spray but while it seems to work on the boots the gloves still stink.
snow report
Jehu, once your gloves are stinky only a nuking in the microwave (if no metal bits) and hot wash in bio cleaner will shift it. Some say a soak in Milton's sterilizing fluid will also work. Once your gloves are clean (or new 'cos they got well and truly boogered in the wash), go with the athletes foot cream, c'nut oil route or us Bio-Sen body spray well rubbed in especially around the nails and nail bed.
snow report
have you guys considered the possibility that you just ming, period?
snow conditions
14 weeks of use and my boots reek!! So what? They're bloody comfy (well as much as boots can be), I rarely get cold feet and usually in a boot room, there are plenty of other culprits too. Why worry?
snow conditions
Well I've read all of the above comments but feel my current problem remains Puzzled

I've splashed out and purchased some expensive ski boots which I'm happy with and had used them for 2 seasons. Last time I skied they still had that new boot smell coming from the liner. However, I since went to Snozone once in them and noticed that my feet stank like crazy (before putting ski boots on, due to my trainers stinking that day). It was very unusual, I even though about avoiding putting the ski boots on and going some other time but I had already paid for the ticket. Anyway, I now have ski boots that smell... they don't stink per se, but enough for me to get upset about it and wanting to kill the bacteria inside! Twisted Evil

Does anyone know the best way of achieving this as a one off? Is it possible to kill ALL of it inside? Twisted Evil

Very Happy
ski holidays
hydroeon My other half had this problem and we found that it wasn't the boot liner at all it was the plastic footbed in the bottom of the boot (not really a footbed, more a flat piece of plastic). We prised it out and the underside of it was covered in black stuff which was the smelly bit. A quick wash in fairy liquid sorted it out. No more smell.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
'Silver Fiber' is also available in underpants so you can pack a bit of silver round the old family jewels.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy