Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

April skiing - where should we go?

Poster: A snowHead
Never been skiing in April before, but no option this year. The 2nd week in April is looking likely.

Please can someone recommend suitable resorts? We're 2 decent intermediate skiers who want to clock up some miles cruising pistes and having long lunches in cosy restaurants (not those awful canteens). Would prefer to go to Europe for the short flight, but happy to go North America if that would be a better option.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
CNewsome, we've got availability in chalet Le Mouflon, La Rosiere 1850 for w/c 13th April at bargain rates. We'll be out in the chalet ourselves as we've always had good snow right up until the resort closes - 25th April this year. You can find details on our website - see my sig below.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
CNewsome, You can't beat Zermatt for the restaurants and long lunches. It's high and so snow sure, the scenery is spectacular and it's restaurants are second to none in the Alps. Easy to get to by train from Geneva. I'm going there for the second time the week after next. Oh, and you can ski over into Cervinia if there aren't enough cruisy pistes for you in Zermatt.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
!600M isn't high.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
with the way things are shaping up right now, it's gotta be Glencoe or Nevis Range
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
jimmjimm, I assume that was directed at Zermatt being at 1600M. No it isn't particularly high, but the skiing is and although you might not ba able to ski back to the resort there will be snow up higher. You cannot guarantee skiing back to resort at that time of year except maybe Val Thorens which is considerably higher but won't have the restaurant possibilties that the OP was after.

Edit: I have probably denigrated Val T re restaurants as one of the best restaurants I have used in the Alps was in St Martine de Bellville many years ago, but I would think that skiing to there would be unlikely in April.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
geepee, Oh yes you can, we have snow at village level in La Rosiere until well past the end of April, in fact the Col de Petit St Bernard between France and Italy isn't re-opened until late May or early June as there's too much snow. All the mountain restuarants stay open until the end of season, the only reason the resort closes when there's still snow is because the saisonaires all leave for their summer jobs. If you've no knowledge it's not helpful to generalise.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I would second La Rosiere/La Thuile. Spent a day there in mid-April last year, you could still ski down to resort level on both sides of the border.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
David@traxvax, Point taken, but a lot of resorts cannot guarantee skiing back to resort at that time of year, but that isn't a reason to dismiss them. I agree that there are always exceptions and I'm sure that La Ros would be a good option for the OP. Saying that I have no knowledge is a bit strong though, why the personal insult ?

I did take some time to look at your chalet on your web wite and it looks good, I might consider it in future and then you can assess my skiing knowledge. wink Toofy Grin

Last edited by You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net. on Thu 13-03-08 12:39; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
CNewsome, I'd echo what other snowHead 's say; skiing in La Ros in normally possible all year as miraculously the local micro-climate allows the snow to stay in perfect condition even though the temperature is well into the mid 20's C.

August is normally particularly good...
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
CNewsome, If you can leave it until the third week of April, there's one or two snowHeads going to be in Val Thorens... why not join us!
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
geepee, no personal insult intended but if you had been in La Rosiere in late April you would know that skiing back to village level is an everyday occurance. Incidentally, I've skied in Val D'Isere in May and whilst snow can't be guaranteed, our snow record is consistently good, the record snow fall in France was in La Rosiere and it's consistently in the top 5 French resorts for snow cover.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
CNewsome, as we are pimping Mottaret is high altitude and offers easy access to the stations of each of the three valleys ( and i have just discounted by 30% the week you are interested, click below)
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
skimottaret, shameless wink
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Thanks everyone. I'll have a look at La Rosiere and Zermatt. Been to Cervinia before and like to try out new resorts. Does anyone have any other suggestions? What about Obergugl or other Asutrian resorts?
snow report
Val Thorens
Courchevel
latest report
Obertauern. That's where I'm going Smile . short transfer from Salzburg 42 Euro, snowsure, good hotels, a few seemingly decent mountain spots(but didn't really sample the food so can't comment).
Not a huge resort but a reasonable variety of pistes.
Hamish
ski holidays
Frosty the Snowman, or right in between the two wink
snow report
Frosty the Snowman wrote:
Val Thorens
Courchevel

Happy Birthday. Have a fab time in La Rosiere. I am so ooo jealous!
ski holidays
I've skied down to La Tania at 1300m at the end of April many times, in fact I think they always manage to keep the home run open until La Tania closes, even during last years supposed "snow drought"....

There's a lot more to consider than height, ie angle of slope, trees and how much work the ski resort put in building a base and patching it up during warmer periods....
latest report
Ischgl was skiiable all over the mountain at the beginning of April last year. Assuming Europe, Davos or Engeberg are also worth considering IME.l
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy