Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Discount ski rental shops in France suffer arson attack

Poster: A snowHead
DB, interesting. I've been impressed in St Anton and Kitzbuhel over the last few years with the service, but it's a long time since I was anywhere in Austria other than a ski resort (which is a pity).

It would never occur to me to tip someone in a ski hire (or any other) shop.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
SMALLZOOKEEPER wrote:
Our Rental is full of booze ...

Ah, a rental off-licence - interesting concept. Could you rent me a case of Cotes du Rhone for a few days?
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
David Goldsmith,

I was thinking more of restaurant / bar / hotel staff in ski resorts but yes I have tipped bootfitters before. Once a guy in a ski shop helped adjust my boots and rented some skis so I gave him a tip too (but the tip was for the former). If someone really goes out of their way to help (e.g. secures a certain ski, fits in a ski service when they are already pushed) has to be worth a drink or too.

Someone told me that the best ski service in one of Austria's major resorts is done by an old man overnight. The skis are collected at a small wooden hut while most go to one of the big ski shops. It's not the cheapest as everything is done by hand but the best value for money. I'd guess to most UK skiers (although probably viewed differently here) a ski service is a ski service and a boot fitting is a boot fitting. I hate cr@p service and don't mind paying up for someone skilled who takes pride in their work to do the job better but am weary of big business that are driven by price - it tends to push the skilled out irrespective of nationality. How many top chefs (other than Jef Wickes) have worked at McDonalds?
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
DB wrote:
If someone really goes out of their way to help (e.g. secures a certain ski, fits in a ski service when they are already pushed) has to be worth a drink or too.

That works in reverse, too. If someone brings you a couple of well-selected drinks, give them a twin-tip (or a pair of twin-tips if they're not legless).

Sorry, it's been a bad afternoon.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
David Goldsmith wrote:

One can understand why the counter-revolutionary forces and saboteurs in peaceful Alpine villages are now on the streets. I wonder if there's any Anglo-Saxon equity in this new business?

Indeed. the French are not quite so pusillanimous as people in this country when their livelihoods are threatened; though arson is a bit naughty.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
[It means timid or cowardly. Must admit I'd forgotten and had to look it up!]

Interesting point, Latchigo. If one goes back to the French Revolution, which caused the British crown and establishment huge concern (since there were murmurings of revolution here by agricultural labourers etc.), one sees that so-called English 'troublemakers' of that era were transported to Australia - viz. the Tolpuddle Martyrs.

From the reports it seems that Ski Revolution has been set up by a Frenchman and an Australian. And they are at war with French rural ski shops.

What is the likely outcome? Are British tour operators using Ski Republic or established shops?
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
very interesting thread.

I sit in the middle ground and can see both sides of the argument.

I hope the local's business's arent ruined, while I like the business model of Ski Republic.

I think the tactics employed by French business are disgraceful though.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Of course, many influences beyond the warring ski renters can influence the outcome of this revolution. One of them will be the attitude of ski hardware suppliers. In a market which isn't necessarily expanding the brands will want to protect their loyal customers.

That said, Ski Republic have stormed in with a 17,000-pair purchase (which I think roughly matches the entire UK market in its down years)

I'm not quite clear about whether Ski Republic sell equipment as well as renting it (which is the convention, and gives a lot of logic to demo rental of new skis). Anyone know?
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
David Goldsmith wrote:

I'm not quite clear about whether Ski Republic sell equipment as well as renting it (which is the convention, and gives a lot of logic to demo rental of new skis). Anyone know?

Ski Republic just hire skis and sell a few pairs of goggles.

Lots & lots of inacurate information on this thread about Ski Republic. Their kit is brand new and is fitted/supplied correctly.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
stewart woodward wrote:

Lots & lots of inacurate information on this thread about Ski Republic.

That seems somewhat unfair and unjustified.
stewart woodward wrote:
Their kit is brand new and is fitted/supplied correctly.

Has anyone said it is fitted/supplied incorrectly? What does "brand new" mean? Brand new 3 months ago? Brand new to each customer? It seems a very specific phrase for a rental company to use.

The information in this thread is based on the company's own website claims, and reports from two responsible newspapers. What else is "inaccurate" in your view?
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
David Goldsmith wrote:
stewart woodward wrote:

Lots & lots of inacurate information on this thread about Ski Republic.

That seems somewhat unfair and unjustified.
stewart woodward wrote:
Their kit is brand new and is fitted/supplied correctly.

Has anyone said it is fitted/supplied incorrectly? What does "brand new" mean? Brand new 3 months ago? Brand new to each customer? It seems a very specific phrase for a rental company to use.

The information in this thread is based on the company's own website claims, and reports from two responsible newspapers. What else is "inaccurate" in your view?

A few points David;

1. The 2 for 1 offer is available in resort not just for online bookings as stated by the Telegraph.
2. The wages paid and staffing levels are similar to Precion ski, Skiset, Snowfun etc the other major hire outlets.
3. Brand new means 'all equipment was new at the beginning of this season'.
4. 'Guvonor' seems to imply that the kit is not fitted correctly.

I think if you do some research you will find that Ski Republic's marketing policy has resulted in other rental outlets offering discounts to compete with Ski Republic, which can only be good for tourists.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Quote:

Ski Republic have stormed in with a 17,000-pair purchase (which I think roughly matches the entire UK market in its down years)

Imagine the price they got from the manufacturers...
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
stewart woodward wrote:

That's what you say. That's not what Ski Republic say on the home page of their website:
Ski Republic wrote:
We guarantee to supply you with brand new ski and snowboard equipment ...

With respect, the other 3 points you make are all debatable, and certainly don't add up to saying that this thread contains "lots and lots of inaccurate information". As I understand it, you have clients in Tignes. If they've rented from Ski Republic did they receive brand new equipment?
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
stewoart woodoward, Only going on what I have been told Chief - albeit by people who may or may not be affected by Ski Republic revolution directly....

Scratch below the surface a little and this argument is similar to supermarkets dominating the UK market - you can love 'em or hate 'em, and have less choice or indeed more choice as a result, depending upon your stance on the debate. Or to a lesser extent, the influx of foreign labour into the UK - puts the hackles up of 'local' tradesmen who get undercut and may lose business as a result. As a punter, you pays your money, you takes your choice....
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
There are some interesting issues here, but the phrase 'brand new' isn't one of them. No renter will assume that it means 'never used before it's rented to me'; stewart woodward's interpretation seems reasonable. One could criticise Ski Republic for stretching the term a bit, but it's not substantively misleading, it's just more or less meaningless (like a lot of advertising puff, such as 'up to 50% off').
snow report
Not having skied in any of their resorts for several years I'd never heard of them.

A quick browse of the website:
£110 for a week looks like it gets you 2 pairs of skis and boots and helmets.
All new kit this season.
Skis that you know what brand/model they are and have an opportunity to select the type you want.

Compare/contrast with the normal "this looks about right" approach I used to see in most hire shops.

Looks like great value to me, good luck to them.

I wonder where they will place 17,000 pairs of skis at the end of each season? I'm sure that Eastern Europe will see a lot of them, but even they will be saturated after a couple of years as in that part of the world hire shop kit gets totally worn out before it is replaced.

I just wish I had thought of it as a business!
latest report
David Goldsmith wrote:
stewart woodward wrote:

That's what you say. That's not what Ski Republic say on the home page of their website:
Ski Republic wrote:
We guarantee to supply you with brand new ski and snowboard equipment ...

I suppose the term "brand new" means that an item has not been used, and therefore sullied, since its brand marks were applied. Provided the model hasn't been superseded (unlikely during the season), I think it's perfectly fair to describe unused kit distributed from the factory at the beginning of the season as "brand new".
snow report
i had my skis fully serviced in Ski Republic in Val d'isere a week ago. Used to be the Precision shop , which has moved to the main street. Good service , reasonable price , dropped of a 6 pm , ready for collection at 8:30 the next morning. No complaints , only used them as the share the premisies with Evolution2 Ski School and i was sorting out my sons ski school.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy