Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Progress: I need rhythm!

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Spyderman, well, yeah, hence my confusion a few posts back...if you're scared, what hope for ignoramuses like me?!
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Hurtle, Active stretch of the leg onto what was the old inside(uphill) ski, as if pushing down on a bicycle peddle, whilst allowing the old outside(downhill) leg to relax, to allow the hips to move downhill over the feet, The hip rises as a consequence of the active stretch, pressuring the new outside ski, not because you just stand up to unweight the ski("old school").
The smooth flexion(sinking) takes place after the fall line, to control and absorb pressure build up in the skis and to allow for the active extension to take place at the start of the next turn.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Spyderman, that's very clear, but major self-analysis still required at this end! In fact it's so clear, I may copy it on to a sheet of paper and take it to Switzerland with me! Thanks.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Quote:
Harb seems to insist that edging must begin with hip movements as the knee simply can't "angulate" on its own.

That's not quite right, HH's approach starts with the ankles, then knee, then hip. It's a little more complicated than that sentence alone, but the kinetic chain starts with the feet/ankle tipping. HH has categorically stated that PMTS is not a hip angulation system.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Spyderman, that's a helpful description of what happens and one I want to ponder on for next time.

I think in general, there is a danger of mixing up two things in a discussion like this: the technical reasons for an advanced skier doing something to hone skills they already have and actions that one might ask a novice to do in order to work towards developing a certain skill for the first time. Take the ski or knee or thigh or full leg steering issue. An advanced skier will be able to turn the ski anyway, and the purpose of focusing on a specific causative action is to refine that process. I am still working on trying to turn my inside ski to match the outside, ie to get them parallel. Surely it matters not which action is technically "correct" in anyone's book, the one which helps me to start to consistently achieve approximately the right movement of the skis is the "right" one at that stage for me. Another learner might well need a different set of ideas to employ to achieve the same end. Similarly the up/down debate, (Kelskii, Laughing ). What helps me to appropriately transfer the weight from one ski to the other is a good tool at the time for me, and as the skill grows the process can be modified.

At the moment the things that are working for me (all things I have been told by various instructors & SHs), in that I am aware that I am beginning to move into a more parallel technique by focusing on them are:

1. remembering to keep even pressure along the big-toe-edge of my outside ski as I tend to lift my heel inside my boot (a visit to CEM is planned in due course!) - this dramatically improves my ability to hold my chosen course with far less effort - an essential!

2. extending the arm over the outside (downhill) ski a little, as if to trace a path in the snow with the pole tip and pushing the opposite hip slightly towards the hill

3. bending both knees as I turn - not sure why but I feel more balanced/secure when I do this too.

4. thinking about pointing my inside knee where I want to go rather than thinking about the ski - I have found if I do this, the ski naturally goes too as I am reducing the weight on it in order to turn my knee. When I was thinking about where the ski should go, I was making hard work of turning it.

The trouble is that at the moment, I find it is not all coming right at the same time consistently and my attention is very easily distracted by other skiers swooping past, by bumps in the snow etc etc. When focusing on no 3 and really trying hard to turn out of the fall line with parallel skis, (which is what I'm working on - small plough to turn into the fall-line, & parallel out) pretty much everything else is currently going out of the window just now, but at least having managed to do it properly a few times I now am aware what the action feels like - the motion when both skis are sort of skidding sideways at the same time feels very different to finishing turning in a plough, even a small one. I am also finding I am focusing on different issues on the steeper and less steep sections of the slope and the two need to meld.

I think one of the important by-products of looking at rhythm will be to try to encourage my movements to be more automatic and more relaxed.

I find it really helpful to discuss these things with you guys, as a way of reviewing what I have done on the slope and as preparation for my next session at Xscape. It's obviously impossible to have an instructor to hold my hand all the time, so it is invaluable to have tips etc to think about when I am skiing. Thanks!
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Ali Ross cf. Harald Harb, at least 20 years apart wink

and some random.......

veeeight wrote:

Bigger angles 'n' last year. Cool
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Butterfly,
Quote:

Yoda wrote:
Quote:

he said at first glance it looks like he's just leaning left/right

what did he look like to you? If any parts appeared to be "leaning" which were they?

Ooh you do ask hard ones!

He was doing rapid short turns. When I think about it, his head/shoulders were facing down the fall line pretty much all the time I think and broadly upright. His legs though seemed to lean from side to side causing a bend at the waist (with maybe a bit of lean the other way in the upper body??).............. errr.......... I think? Trying to replay the image in my mind here! And it is hard to put an image into words.

Was Alan's friend all in red?
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I got told to pole plant, stand up tall then transfer the weight from one edge to the other and the skis naturally seemed to turn without any effort. Extend then bend were my instructors little rhyme!
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Snowshark wrote:
Butterfly,
Quote:

Yoda wrote:
Quote:

he said at first glance it looks like he's just leaning left/right

what did he look like to you? If any parts appeared to be "leaning" which were they?

Ooh you do ask hard ones!

He was doing rapid short turns. When I think about it, his head/shoulders were facing down the fall line pretty much all the time I think and broadly upright. His legs though seemed to lean from side to side causing a bend at the waist (with maybe a bit of lean the other way in the upper body??).............. errr.......... I think? Trying to replay the image in my mind here! And it is hard to put an image into words.

Was Alan's friend all in red?

Yes! Might have been called John? Not sure though.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
That will have been John.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
If I might just chip in here with this point about the extension manouvre. This has become very much part of my aim in my own skiing recently (following sessions with easiski at LDA) and is an unmistakable feeling experienced during its performance. I'm at the stage where during a particular run I will rediscover it as a phenomenon that will lead to a rewarding turn. I cannot achieve it properly unless my weight is forward and it is more easily achieved if I am developing a rhythmic sequence of turns. The cycle pedal analogy is very good in describing the sense of pressure experienced by the leg. The only other manouvre I am doing is a slight deviation into the intended turn with little knowledge of what is happening to my ankles, knees etc. Goodness knows what it looks like!
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy