Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

What K2 ski would you buy and why?

Poster: A snowHead
I'm in the fortunate position that i can choose pretty much any of the K2 Ski line-up... just not sure what to go for.

IF you could choose one ski from the range, what one would it be and why?

I ski pretty much anywhere on the mountain and am getting more and more into skiing off-piste, bumps, wee jumps (but not too big), just generally faffing about on skis. I still like to go fast and carve on the groomers though and occassionally throw out some short turns when need be.

So, what ski would you take and why... help me choose Very Happy
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Apache Recon or Public Enemy. Both will give you options for off-piste, and while they may not win downhill races, they are good all-round skis.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I was impresses by the Apache skis I tried, both the crossfire and the recon, but haven;t tried any other k2 skis
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I've already got Fischer AMC79s, i'm wondering if the Recons might be too similar to them. I was thinking along the lines of the Public Enemy. I wonder if there'll be any all new models out in the 2008/09 line-up?
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Already have narrower skis for other conditions (inc piste) so I'd choose Coomba's because my powder skis are old and too heavy for touring.

http://www.k2skis.com/skis/ski.asp?ProductID=8
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
The Apache Outlaw gets good reviews, although I haven't been on it. It's about the same size as my current skis - so I'd go for that.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
If you can wangle next years models, check out the Kung Fujas. 90mm ish.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Some info on next years K2 skis
http://www.skinc.com/messageboard/viewtopic.php?t=11180&sid=c81eb9f6a76df453670094db473bb1c5
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
those Kung Fujas look sweet... hopefully i'll be able to get next years models Very Happy
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Seths

Have no need for anything over 100mm waist, don't need big rocker for on piste, perfectly fine for those boring harpack pistes that one has to get past to get to the fun.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
anyone tried the seths and the PE? would be good to hear the differences from someone who's been on both.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
shoogly, I've owned both.
Seths are great in powder. They are usable on piste, but it takes a while to get used to them (and they can be quite tiring)
PEs aren't as good in pow, but they are a lot less work to ski on piste all the time.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Coomba.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
SMALLZOOKEEPER, what are they like on piste though. i still need them to be skiable on piste. they look like a BIG ski designed to ski stuff that only the top mentallist skiers will ever get anywhere near. I'm quite good on skis, but i don't want to get ideas above my station. Very Happy

Wear The Fox Hat, PEs seem to be ticking the right boxes for me. I was just reading on the epic ski forum that they are also a bit stiffer than the seths. Is this right in your experience?

what about the outlaw? anyone spent any time on a pair of those?
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
shoogly, epicski is a great forum (but then again, I would say that snowHead) The PE is stiffer than the Seth, it is easier to carve on piste, lighter and more versatile. I'd go with the Seths if you were going to be pow skiing all the time, otherwise, the PE would make an excellent 1-ski quiver.
ski holidays
I've just skied 40 days in western canada on a pair of PEs (164cm; i am 5'7" and 67kg), and I've been pretty much entirely happy with them- theyve let me have fun wherever i've been, from hardpack piste, to the park, to thigh-deep pow stashes, to bumps. I must confess that a lot of the time in the soft stuff, I was wishing for something a bit fatter (like the seth), though if you're wanting to use them in Europe as well (as I am!), then the on-piste performance is probably a swinger...

My only problem with this year's PE is that IMO the topsheet is a bit, well, juvenile.. i bought them for the skis not the look Smile
latest report
Hellbents.

You have sensible skis already....so get something silly
ski holidays
Mind you....I would never ever buy any K2 skis.

Nothing against them at all...

I used to work for a totally different company called K2 and it was a totally miserable hateful place to work.

It would just remind me of those two dreadful years to look down and see "K2" at my feet.
latest report
oops, missed out on the fact that you already had a pair. I agree- get some fatties!
snow report
rungsp, i like your attitude Very Happy

RobH, good review, thanks for the info... i'm kind of thinkig that if i get a pair of wider skis then i might just end up skiing them all the time and the AMCs will never see the light of day again! I could always get a pair of PEs and sell the AMCs...
snow report
shoogly, Sorry i didn't read your post , just the question. PE i guess.
snow conditions
rungsp wrote:

It would just remind me of those two dreadful years to look down and see "K2" at my feet.

Ah, but would it not also, eventually, allow the sense of exhilarated pleasure, so close to every flying dream any boy has, to replace the bad memories?
snow report
shoogly,

I found myself in the same position as you knowing someone at the UK arm of K2 and the opportunity to buy at trade price Very Happy Very Happy

After much trawling websites and reviews decided on the Recons - I couldnt wait for next year models to come out !

Anyway - well happy with the Skis, didnt get the opportunity for powder this year but on Piste / bumps they were great Very Happy
latest report
I've just got back from a week in Courchevel with my brand new PE's. I found them to be a really good all round ski that'll handle almost everything but sheet ice where the edge hold is poor - but thats to be expected. They're a joy in the park, solid on piste and floated well in what little powder I saw. My only complaint would be about the topsheet, it cuts up really easy and mine now look worse than all but the most battered of rentals. Its only cosmetic though and it might fool some into thinking I'm a seasoned pro so if this isn't an issue for you I'd highly recommend them.
latest report
neilll, anything that makes me look like a seasoned pro is worth a look! he he.

i'm hoping that i'll be able to choose from the 09 range though. will find out soon though and keep this thread updated.

Very Happy
snow conditions
get the new '09 seths. The Obsethed. Traditional camber underfoot, traditional sidecut, rocker tip and tail, 104 (I think) underfoot, quite stiff outside of the Rocker.

Mate tested them out at the weekend and said they were super fun. We didn't have any pow apart from one or 2 turns, but played around in some steeps, tracked out pow, sun-crust and we even did a mogul run for the laugh.

He really enjoyed them. Said they love to go fast and just skim on top of everything. And they were managable in the bumps because of the soft tail and the fact that he could only get 179s. They must be the bomb in proper powder.

They are a completely different ski from this years Seths.
snow conditions
the only bad thing i've heard about the PE is their edge hold on ice. I suppose it depends on what you class as ice but would it be possible to alter the edge angles to increase the skis grip?

very tempted by the PE. I'm still to hear what shop i can get the skis from so i suppose i'll have to demo as many as i can before buying.

It's a nice dilema to have though Very Happy
latest report
shoogly,

Are you looking to replace your current skis or add a ski to the quiver?
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
DB, I'm not decided on that yet. My wife isn't coming so she says when i get my new pair i can sell my old ones and give her the money! lol.

Ideally, i'll add to the quiver and go wider, but i'm also wondering if there's any point in me having two pairs of skis when i won't get away more than 2 or 3 times a season.

Puzzled
latest report
shoogly,

To be honest it looks like you are probably unlikely to get much use out of a wider pair of skis. Lugging two pairs of skis on a plane on the offchance that you see a major dump for deep powder skiing probably isn't worth the effort. Probably best getting another all-rounder and selling one pair then using the money to either

1) Keep the girl-friend happy
2) Spend on lessons for offpiste (Technique makes more difference than the tool)
3) Rent various fatter skis when you are blessed with deep powder.
latest report
DB, point #3 is the best point to date (not that point #1 isn't) . Ski hire is also included in the prize so if i take on set of skis then if it snows i can just go and borrow a rental pair of boards Very Happy

I do like the AMCs though rolling eyes

It's a good problem to have this!
snow conditions
Anyone had any experience on the Outlaw and Recon - do they handle similar to each other on piste and is the outlaw a lot better off piste or much the same?

My head is all in a keffufle (sp?)

Puzzled
ski holidays
shoogly,

Are you likely to do any ski touring in the future? the K2 Shuksan is a long running model which is well respected from multiple sources in the ski insdustry.

Some people like strawberry ice-cream, I prefer mint choc chip but had to try both before knowing. Do you have to decide now or can you rent first?
latest report
shoogly, As DB says, the Shuksan is a great ski.
snow conditions
I'm hoping i'll be able to demo. The deal is that i get to choose from the nearest K2 dealer to me... as yet, i've not been told who that is. Find out tomorrow morning when i call the nice people at fall line again Very Happy

I'll take a look at the Shuksan, but to be a bit realistic (i know, winning a pair of skis and a holiday to banff isn't that realistic, but it happened!) i'm not sure i'll have the time to dedicate to anything other than lift serviced skiing for the next couple of years, what with a sprog on the way. Once the kid reaches 3yo i'm happy to take it touring as many mountains as i'm allowed to wink
snow report
shoogly, I've had Recons (181's) for the past 3 years and love them. They've done everything including 2 off piste courses. All the bad skiing days were squarely down to me not the skis.
According to a Fall Line review the Outlaws do pretty much everything the Recons do on piste but with more float off.

I'd go Outlaws if in the market.
snow report
Don't be a wuss - get the Hellbents.

Then your free pair of skis will turn out to be a bit of a misnomer as you spunk cash on storm chasing holidays to get the most out of them.

More practically I'd probably get the Coombas
snow report
I heartily endorse the last post.
latest report
A couple of instructor buddies ski the recon-it's a sweet ski. If your are adding i'd go for the Coomba without a doubt. One of the lightest fat skis about, still under 100mm, can hold an edge on piste.
ski holidays
CSIA instructor (level 2 next week) CSCF race coach. What do I like to ski? Generally as steep as possible and as deep as possible whilst going as fast as I have the balls to go. Love to rip up fresh groomers, bumps and dable in the park (nothing bigger than 3's). Rails just aren't my thing.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy