Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Dry Slope Parallel turning

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Havent been on a dry slope for 2 years and have never parralel turned on dry slopes. When I left dry slope skiing for the real deal I could only snowplough. However now I can parralel turn, and carve on reds.

Is it easy to transfer the paralel turn from the snow to the dry slope? My parents after not skiing for 15 years found it rather difficult to parralel turn again when they restarted their skiing. Will it be the same for someone who goes every year? or was it more of a problem of rustyness for my parents?

Im thinking of making a return to dry slope skiing rather soon.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
It's not too different, just treat it like a different snow surface. i.e. plastic is as different to snow as ice is to slush, different snow conditions call for different techniques. Plastic will probably feel a bit more skiddy, less grippy.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Be very positive and dynamic. Fine movements on plastic can give gross results: gross* movements can give fine results. You will probably find the transition from snow to plastic a bit difficult. Start off safely with some runs doing plough parallel turns so that you have the stability of a small wedge while you are getting the feel of the surface. Concentrate on developing strong pressure on the outer ski with a very definite leg stretch. Once you feel more familiar with the mat, move on to parallel.

I was back on the dry slope on Sunday for the first time this season, fortunately with a plough parallel class so I was able to put the above into practice without the clients knowing it! wink

*"gross" is of course an misnomer for the sake of a neat phrase: I really just mean you should feel you are exaggerating your movements.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Christopher, It's pretty easy. All the dry slopes I've been on have been too short and narrow for serious turning.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Pretty much the same technique as snow but with a diffrent feel underfoot. any one who uses a dry slope finds it tough to get back onto it after the snow.

Just take your time get a feel for the surface and start initiating your parallel turns as you would on snow
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Just take it easy for the first few runs, to feel your way in.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Ordhan wrote:
any one who uses a dry slope finds it tough to get back onto it after the snow.

It's strange how it doesn't work the opposite way round though, I find the only things that surprise going back on snow after an extended period on plastic are the speed and ease of sliding and these fade quickly.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
RogaTotally agree with you never have any problem going from plastic to snow but going the other way eeeeeeeeeewwwwwwww... It just shows how wrong dendix is but it is a nesecarry evil!
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Never have any problems switching between the two myself Puzzled
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Thats because the force is strong in you Very Happy
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy