Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Skiing from a log cabin

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
If you're thinking of something more secluded than the typical high-intensity ski holiday - with its hustle and bustle of lifts, queues and buses - cross-country skiing is often recommended.

If that's the decision then why not go for accommodation that offers a real mountain experience, out in the sticks? This selection of six log cabin holidays mainly focuses on cross-country, though Geilo in Norway offers good downhill skiing. The report is by Steve Jones in today's Observer.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Les Lanchettes camp site at Peisey Nancroix has recently installed 6 brand new log cabins with all mod-cons and a restaurant on site.It is easily accessible by free ski-bus to the camp site gate every half hour in day time. The new cable car for Paradiski is about 10-15 mins' drive away and for the cross-country enthusiasts, there are 40km.of marked pistes even nearer at Pont Baudin. In fact, some of the trails go through the camp site.
You can be guaranteed a very warm welcome from the owners, Patrick & Marie Josee, having stayed at the site on many occasions.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Jamie, welcome to snowHead snowHeads snowHead ! Is Les Lanchettes down in the valley somewhere, if it's nearly 15 minutes to the Vanoise Express? Nothing really explains where it is on their website, as far as I can see...
http://www.camping-lanchettes.com/
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
PG, It's way up the valley into the park, not quite as far as you can drive (but close) and is the navette terminus (many moons ago it used to be every 15 mins.) It's a lovely place in the Summer, but I don't know how much sun it'll get in deep winter and you'd better be good at entertaining yourselves 'cos it's a hell of a walk to the nearest bar. But all in all, if you're into snowshoes and you know the area, there's some unbelievable off piste available and 2½-3hrs. climbing will get you onto the Tignes glacier and over to V’Despair (if you’re really fit, you won’t need a lift pass – and it’s very rare that passes are checked on the high lifts [not electronic/RDIF yet]).
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Masque, do you realise that you have made exactly 10% of the contributions that PG has made. I never knewn you were so quiet.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Masque,your comments are a little harsh, I think. Admittedly, there is not much sun in Dec & Jan, but from then onwards matters improve quite considerably: by the end of Feb, the campsite gets a few hours a day, and March is glorious.
It has one of the best restaurants in the valley only 5 mins walk away in Nancroix(L'Ancolie) and another good one at Pont Baudin 10 mins in the opposite direction.
Old Peisey village is a few minutes' drive away down the valley (underneath the new cable car) and there are numerous bars and restaurants in the village, including my favourite Le Bar de Ski, an excellent 2 star hotel & bar, Les Trois Stations, L'Ormelune restaurant, etc etc.
This is where the old box lift starts to interconnect you with the big system of lifts higher up the mountain.
Finally, if you are into off-piste skiing, when conditions are right, it is possible to ski from La Poudreuse restaurant in the Peisey sector,down through the woods alongside La Combe draglift (good fun), past Notre Dame de Vernettes chapel all the way to Nancroix and the free bus to take you back up.(Don't forget to take a copy of the bus timetable with you!)
On the other side of the valley, if you are an expert skier (but only with a guide), you can ski the north face of Bellecote glacier, ending up at the bus stop and Les Chabottes restaurant.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy