Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Farmers who plant chairlifts...

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
...are part and parcel of the contemporary ski scene in Grindelwald, Switzerland. Of course, this is only a reminder of a symbiosis of agriculture and tourism that has characterised the Alps over the past century but it's dependent on a complex cross-subsidy between the lift company and the 150 farms that lie within the village's boundaries.

Grindelwald is held up as an example of how these economics can work to the benefit of the environment, village economy and population, compared to many ski resorts where agriculture has become virtually extinct.

This interesting article from Swiss Info explains more.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
In Cornwall the crop of choice is caravans. As in "This year Oi reckon Oim goin to put the west field under barley aand the north field under caravaans".

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Thu 2-12-04 12:17; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Reminds me of the report in the Sunday Times back in February, titled "Farmer opens smallest ski resort in World"

Quote:
For a peasant farmer it it an unusual sideline, but Gerard Chabod, a cheerful figure with a weatherbeaten face and caloused hands, is reaping rich rewards from the family-run ski resort he has set up on his tiny farm in eastern France.

"At first most people here thought I was crazy" he said, watching the Italian-built ski lift hauling visitors up his hill. "Not any more".

In between tending his 60 cows, Chabod fits his visitors' ski boots, helps them to the lift and, where necessary, spends 2 hours bashing the piste. "I even do rescues" he chuckles.

The piece concludes:

Quote:
Chabod is wistful as he appreciates his view of the Alps. "Compared with those great mountains," he says, "we're just a tiny piece of confetti".
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy