Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Dry slopes - any good for timid intermediate?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I am what I would call a timid intermediate, a blue run is about all I can manage at the moment whilst my husband and children are away on the challenging reds. I want to catch up a bit and am thinking about booking some lessons on a dry ski slope as the indoor snow centres are at least a two hour drive away. How does a dry slope compare with snow and will it give me more confidence to get up there with the rest of the family? Could possibly stretch to a day or two in Tamworth - would private lessons be worth my while?

Any advice would be appreciated!!
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Jennyski, if you are in striking distance of Cardiff I'll be at the Cardiff Slope tomorrow night at about 7.45 to do a coaching session at 8.15. (unless work sends me somewhere else tomorrow rolling eyes ) Why not pop in for a chat? Much easier to discuss in person than on here.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
A private lesson could very well be the answer to help a bit as the lesson can be much more tailored to you. You can discuss more of the goals you want to aim for plus what sometimes hinders you in attaining them. You would be able to get specific drills and exercise that can help you plus ideas to take away to try on the snow.

A dry slope is quite different. Some people love them, some people hate them. I've come across timid skiers where the dry slope has worked a treat for them and others not.

Try a private lesson on the dry slope and see what you feel.

Hope all works out.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Jennyski, Yes, get yourself down to the nearest slope/club, see what they have to offer, and get some lessons booked. You may find that there are regular group lessons/sessions that you can join into, this will then allow you to get some good instruction over a number of weeks, which will certainly give you some confidence to tackle the other slopes out in the mountains.
(I've just finished my 10th season of attending regular dry slope lessons)

If you are around the area, pop in and see Yoda at the Cardiff slope, pretty sure he will be able to give you some advice on the options available
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Jennyski, Sessions on a dry slope should help, if you are not used to the surface take it easy to start and build up - your instructor will be able to guide you.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Jennyski I started skiing from scratch only a few months ago, with 99% of my skiing on a dry slope. Started off with a couple of one to one lessons and then regularly attend group lessons (weekly) - the group lessons I've found as useful as one to one tuition as you can learn much watching and listening to the advice the instructor gives to others

I really don't have much to compare it with, but my observations of skiing on a dry slope are:-

- Invariably it's a little slower than snow (especially if the slope is dry),
- You have to work harder on your technique (which in my mind is good thing) but being a little slower it gives you more 'thinking time',
- If you pick your times the dry slope can be quieter so that gives your time and space on the slope - I've sometimes been the only one skiing!
- You can choose to take things at your speed and at a level you feel confident with - if you only want to ski from a point only half way up the slope you can......I've never been pressured into throwing myself off the top of the slope with the 'masses' unless I wanted to

Downside - it does hurt sometimes when you take a tumble and my collection of bruises and burns has increased 10x since I started skiing
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Dry slopes are one of the best places to learn, thats what i did. Ok it is slower than snow and can be rammed at peak times but get a good intructor and a quiet slope on a frosty night and it really is great.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Jennyski, Dry slope helped me enormously when I was just as you describe. Went along to mid week adult only session (coffee & cake & chat helped too!) over a few months. It really helped as Sleipnir said above because you have to work hard to make turns happen and think about technique. When went back to snow felt the benefits straight away. Give it a go & see snowHead
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Wow you snowheads are so supportive and knowledgeable - thanks everyone!

Yoda, Sorry I didnt pick up my laptop until now - I actually live about 30 mins from Cardiff, towards Aberdare so getting there would be no problem. I am lucky enough to work part time so could possibly fit in some daytime lessons when the slope is quieter. Perhaps you would be kind enough to PM me with some contact details as I would like to arrange some lessons through the Summer........... Thanks!!! Very Happy
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Jennyski, bit breezy tonight and the slope was running slow until we had a shower about 3/4 way through, so no worries Toofy Grin Contact details are on the web site (clink the link in my post above) plus opening hours etc. PM me if you need anything else. Look forward to seeing you there Cool
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Yoda, Thanks very much!!!
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy