Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Courmayeur Trip - Advice for a Beginner !!!

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi there,

I haven't been skiing for 12 years or so and I'm just about to embark on a trip with a friend to Cormayeur. I havn't been able to get on a dry run before heading off so i'm a little bit worried about how i'm gonna pick it up again for a short 5 day holiday. I am also getting worried on the spiralling cost of the trip. Can anyone please let me know if there is a free beginners lift in Courmeyeur?? I think there is from the website but can anybody clarify this. I was hoping to get on this one on my first day !! Also, any tips to keep the price down ? Our hotel looks to be approx 60 Euros a night each. Is it best to hire ski gear locally and get the ski pass locally? Any advice on any good companies?

Really apprciate your time any advice given

Cheers

Rich
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Not sure what lifts are free.

However, when you get there, can I suggest you do some walking up and sliding down first before you go up any lifts as it would be dangerous to head up a lift and assume you can remember everything from the past.

You could do some walking up and sliding down by the Chiecco area which is down by the base area just along from where you get off from the cable car. Or the best bit to head to would be around the Tzaly lift area by the Maison Veille restaurant which is accessed by taking the Maison Veille chair and carrying your skis on the lift to walk to the area. The Tzaly bowl area is where beginners go to learn.

You don't say what level you were in the past. You will probably start to remember things fairly quickly.

However, you have to be aware of your actions and other peoples if you haven't skied for a long time, ski-ing is dangerous. To that extent, I would highly recommend having a lesson on the first day to get going again. Ski-ing and technology has changed a lot in the last twelve years.

I have worked as an instructor in Courmayeur in the past and the last thing you want to come across is somebody that can't control themselves.

Book a lesson!
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
The Tzaly tow would be an easier place to start, but the Chiecco piste could do the business for you - but as snowaddict says, best to walk up and slide down a bit to remind yourself of what to do before going on the lift. The first short pitch off the Chiecco tow is fairly steep. and not the ideal place to discover you are suffering from muscle memory amnesia and have forgotten how to turn. wink

As to a free lift, I don't know the answer but to get to the skiing area, you have to up in a cable car or gondola - which require a lift pass.

I also agree, "get a lesson" . It could save you a lot of frustating messing around and ensure a much better holiday.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Courmayeur isn't the best place to be a beginner. It's steep, the grooming isn't brilliant, and the blue runs can get crowded. I don't think there are any free lifts there either, as you have to begin the day by going up in a cable car.

La Thuile is 15 minutes down the road, and has a magic carpet lift at vallye level which I think is free. You could do worse than do your first day there (there is a bus between the resorts). Free lift or not, if you buy the Courmayeur lift pass you qualify for a day at La Thuile (I could be wrong). Once your legs are back in, enjoy Courmayeur!
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Sorry, yes, should have made it clear if you were to play on Chiecco, walk up from the bottom of it.

The top of the Tzaly is narrow at the point where you get off the lift. It can also be polished if conditions aren't good.

Please, please don't go straight up a lift for your very first slide down in twelve years (you will need to go up the Maison Veille chair as already mentioned to access Tzaly, but carry your skis on the chair, do not attempt to ski off it). Do a lesson preferably or walk up the side of the areas we have already mentioned.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
appreciate you advice. definitly taken all your tips on board. will try my best to get on a dry slope first or get a lesson in on arrival
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
We see quite a few people on our dry slope for who haven't skied for years and they want to try again, mainly because their kids are now ski-ing. It is amazing how quickly they pick things back up, even with just an hours lesson. I'm sure you will be the same whether you try a lesson on the dry slope or the snow.

Meant to answer your other queries and got so side tracked with the ski-ing bit! Not sure about where to hire locally. There is one place on the hill which makes it handy for leaving stuff at night otherwise you have to carry it up and down the cable car each day. The place seems very friendly as I always get my skis serviced here.

At the bottom of the cable car there are loads of other little shops that are right at the foot of the cable car. The ticket office is also two minutes walk up from the cable car up hill right in front as you come off the cable car in the village if that makes sense.

A great bar is on the main shopping street called Bar Roma. They do amazing free nibbles each afternoon at the end of the ski-ing day. Great to relax with in one of their comfy sofas with a beer. Loads of food so pay a visit! I've known people not go and have a meal later as they've stuffed themselves so much!!

There is a little pizzeria near the centrasl car park in town, where the bus station is called Le Tunnel or Tunnel something. The food is to die for plus they do takeaways.

Other than that, enjoy! I love Courmayeur and have been quite a few times. I love the scenery, the village and the ski-ing. It isn't a big ski-ing area by any means, but the views make up for that!

Enjoy!
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Quote:

A great bar is on the main shopping street called Bar Roma. They do amazing free nibbles each afternoon at the end of the ski-ing day. Great to relax with in one of their comfy sofas with a beer. Loads of food so pay a visit! I've known people not go and have a meal later as they've stuffed themselves so much!!

Yeah I'm one of them, great spread there. They do a mean bombardino too.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy