Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Meribel / Three Valleys

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Simple question for in-house 3V experts.

Is first week in April just too risky for good ski conditions in the 3V?

We have an option on a chalet in mid February for half term BUT we can get better a chalets/prices etc from 3rd April. Either way we are bound by the childrens holidays.

What do you think?
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Peter Leuzzi wrote:
Is first week in April just too risky for good ski conditions in the 3V?

Obviously no guarantees, but I've never had a bad holiday skiing in April, based in La Tania over the past 4 years.

Pics from w/c 17th April 2005 - http://gregh.co.uk/albums/latania2005/

Pics from 1st week last year - http://gregh.co.uk/albums/latania07/
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well... i'm off to Meribel on the 11th April and i'm not concerned. I have been before mid April and conditions were typically what you would expect, hard in the morning slushy in the afternoon and unskiable below 1800m. It was 20 degrees in the village. The base was better that year than this although some good snow expected in the next couple of weeks to top up the slopes.

However, it only takes 45 mins to get to the top of VT if it's too warm and wet locally so i wouldn't worry.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
First week in April is not a risk whatsoever in the highest resorts of the alps and will be fantastic. I'm off to Tignes on 1.5.08 and - after the same long weekend last year - can't wait!

I've also skied the 3Vs in the last week in April. You can expect winter conditions on the upper slopes through to mush/slush/waterskiing on the lower - all in all great practice in tackling every snow condition that a mountain can throw at you. I would disagree with the earlier quote of "unskiable below 1800m" - runs will in all likelihood be open to be open to Meribel & St Martin de Belleville - they do a great job of pisting and even when it's knee deep mush (by lunchtime/early afternoon) it IS still skiable.

Our May Tignes/Val D'Isere experience was amazing - deserted (as in NO OTHER SKIERS ON LIFTS OR PISTES!) and powder on the upper slopes. Over 50% of the area was open and there was enough snow on the upper runs to stay open for weeks if the ski areas had chosen to do so.

Also skied St Anton and Soelden in the last week of April - ditto re conditions and lack of crowds. The glaciers (like at Val Thorens) will have decent snow well into May & June (though VT will be shut after early May).

Prepare to be amazed by how much snow there is at that time of year - the ski areas will be open for another 3 to 4 weeks after you come home. Take plenty of factor 150 suncream - I had awful sunburn after one scorching day on the April St Anton trip that I mentioned.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
It was unskiable below 1800m the last time I was there, obviously every season is different. I don't call ploughing through calf deep porridge ski-ing. You can take the lifts back to the village if you don't fancy it enyhow.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Thanks all. Booked for Easter 2009 and happy about it given your comments
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy