Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

newbie question....

Poster: A snowHead
please excuse me, but ive only been skiing once, i can ski fine down anything ive seen at the resort i went last year [PSV]
clearly i cant ski down crazy stuff, although id hav a go! lol
Puzzled

well, wot i wanna know is, am i supposed to spray snow when im turning n that or not?

cheers

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Thu 2-12-04 16:13; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Welcome to SnowHeads, fezza. snowHead

What are you really asking here? You've really only been skiing once and think that you can ski down anything you've seen? How about that cirque in the upper left of your browser right now?

Whether to spray snow is a decision that you can make. However, when you want to, you should be able to carve a clean pair of lines in the snow from the top of a trail to the bottom (a couple thousand vertical feet, at least).
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
i mean anything at the resort i went to last year,blacks etc.... perhaps not that in the top left, maybe a bit more practice b4 that 1 eh?

n e way, cheers mate, i will bear that in mind as i dont think im very gud a not spaying snow.

thanks a lot
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Welcome to Snowheads fezza.

Er....Eh????
Quote:

i can ski fine down anything ive seen
. Not being rude but is this a wind up? Or are you implying you've not "seen" much.....?

fezza, just so you know, everyone else takes 5-6 weeks to gain sufficent skill and experience to safely tackle an easy black. Understandably we're outraged (and a little bit jealous) when you say you've only had a week on snow and can ski "blacks etc".

Mind you, your skier profile says yer only 17, and a bloke so maybe you really can ski anything you see. snowHead
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Take some lessons from a qualified instructor, even if you think you are good you are not. There is no one on the slopes who would not benefit from some more coaching.

Also take the time to type whole words, you are not writing a text message!
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
lol, sorry, Very Happy

ye i intend to hav lessons its just that i saw on another topic that someone said that you arent meant to make a spray, so i thought i would clear it up, because the ski instructer never said anything about not making a spray last year.

and Manda, thankyou for your welcome, but do i detect a hint of ...err something [ sorry dont know the word i want, im terrible at english!] Toofy Grin
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Well, you don't have to be good or experienced to descend a 'black' run, it's enough to be brave or foolish. wink
Spraying snow has its uses, especially directly above boarders sitting down in the middle of a piste. Laughing
Most of the time we skid in order to slow down. If you want to learn to ski without spraying snow, practise on slopes where you feel comfortable going straight down the fall line, ie. long and not too steep. Try making little wiggles by tilting both skis the same way and pressing down on the edges, then switch to the other edges etc.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
cheers MartinH,

will have a go at that. Madeye-Smiley

so by not spraying, keeps you going faster yes?
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
fezza, have you got any other sports hobbies? Stuff you've been doing for years - maybe rock climbing, football - that kind of thing?

It kinda helps to know where you're coming from Smile
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
ok mate,

used 2 play footy, play badminton, go swimming few times a week, not particularly skiing based.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
fezza wrote:
so by not spraying, keeps you going faster yes?

Definitely, when you turn without skidding it will feel like you're accelerating. You won't see racers spraying snow all over.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Unless you turn across, or up the slope. You'll slow down, then wink
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Quote:

do i detect a hint of ...err something [ sorry dont know the word i want

"Disbelief" might be the word you're looking for? Sometimes sarcasm does get the better of me, sorry. But am definately happy you're here! Laughing

Short history lesson:
Over the last 20 years or so ski design has changed so that they're now much easier to carve (i.e. produce those nice spray-free "S" shaped arcs in the snow). Lots of people therefore say that carving is now the proper way to ski, and that to be carving properly you're supposed to skid as little possible. It's the skidding that produces the spray. But don't think that there's a rule that you're not ever allowed to skid. You've learned that skidding brakes your speed - in fact an acceptable way of dealing with steeps is a series of alternating skids (but don't worry about this yet- your instructor will teach you the technique when you're ready!!!)

The point is that you have to be able to CONTROL when you skid - if you're producing spray on every turn and you don't know why, then it's time to call in the instructor!

Have fun on your next ski trip fezza (just don't tell me you've skied the blacks or I shall be very jealous!!!!!!)
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
well i was doing lots of turns over the bumps, u know like you see on tele and that. that was quite fun, i was probalby doing it wrong though! it made my legs ache, keep turning one way and then another thats for sure....
just off hand, do the bumps have a special name?? or do you just call them bumps?
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Fezza,

Is it true copper wire was first created by two yorkshire men arguing over a penny?
snow report
Bumps are moguls.

http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=mogul&r=67

mo.gul n.

A small hard mound or bump on a ski slope.

[Probably of Scandinavian origin; akin to Old Norse mgi, heap.]
ski holidays
DB wrote:
Fezza,

Is it true copper wire was first created by two yorkshire men arguing over a penny?

lol, would you be implying that yorkshire people are tight and / or poor??
Mad NehNeh
ski holidays
Fezza,

Your English has improved no end. I was expecting you to say something like "wot are u tryin to say". Keep your guard up or some might see through your act. snowHead
snow conditions
LOL! Wink

well, i did rite summat along them lines, but thout, no i dont wanna luk like a fool, n writ it proppa

NehNeh
latest report
skanky wrote:
Unless you turn across, or up the slope. You'll slow down, then wink

The feeling of acceleration is the centrifugal force, rather than speed. As you say, speed increases as you go steeper.
DB, I think you can see txt as a sure sign of the demise of written language, though it could be a natural progression that will expand our range of expression. BBs and email are steps in a similar direction, as few bother to construct more than a couple of paragraphs. Even fewer worry about grammar or spelling.
I rather enjoy deciphering text messages from teenage students, though can't bring myself to reply in the same 'language'.
ski holidays
The best sight on a hill is a snowboader really laying down a track so all you see is the edge carved into the snow. And the guy doing that will not be skidding his turn.
Carving on piste is a very efficient turn made easier by modern skis and generally this is the turn you want to showcase. But you will find that all turns have a use.
I use snowploughs, stems, kick and jumps and probably a few I don't know what to call. They work when I need them.....hopefully. If you skid them when you want to skid them then it is a good turn. But carving is what you apsire to IMO.
snow report
back to the original question...
spraying snow = skidding = not using skis efficiently (unless you're trying to slow down)
no spray = carving = more speed when changing direction
snow report
Wear The Fox Hat, very succinct! Very Happy
latest report
you know, i used to type in those txt messages way...
but now i grew up.
so therefore
i find txtmsging annoying when not used on a phone
snow conditions
Can't most people get down pretty much any piste? Even a beginner could get down a black run so that they can boast about it back home. of course, how they do it is another matter. I'd rather get down and easy red with style and finesse than botch my way down a black run.
snow conditions
enoch wrote:
you know, i used to type in those txt messages way...
but now i grew up.
so therefore
i find txtmsging annoying when not used on a phone

Ah it is just an age thing..... im at the middle point of the age so half those I know use text type, half type properly..... amazing how people are forced to do things properly they have a boss to keep happy! snowHead

Ad
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy