Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

freeride skis

Poster: A snowHead
hey guys im looking to buy some versatile freeride skis for next season. ive been skiing for the last 14 years off and on and im looking to finally invest in a nice pair of skis! im 183cm 80kg, im a confident fast piste skier and like venturing off piste when its good conditions, im also becomming more adventurous around the parks; so roughly i would say 60% piste 25% off piste 15% Park. any suggestions would be great! just one thing i would like to go no bigger then 170's

Cheers

Andy
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Andy00, Welcome to snowheads. Either the Icelantic Nomad in 168cm or the Pilgrim in 169cm would be ideal for your stats & requirements. If you do decide to go longer (the Icelantic's are designed to be skied short) then longer lengths are available in both these skis for 08/09.
http://www.jonsskituning.co.uk/component/option,com_virtuemart/page,shop.browse/category_id,37/Itemid,1/

Reviews here: http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=37631
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
spyderjon, ? He's 183cm tall. 80kg.

Andy00, Dynastar Mythic Rider 176, Atomic Nomad Crimson 176. Scott Neo 177, Volkl Bridge 177cm.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
SMALLZOOKEEPER wrote:
spyderjon, ? He's 183cm tall. 80kg.

I know but he said he didn't want to go over 170cm rolling eyes. I'd say the 179cm High Society FR's myself.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
spyderjon, Oh, yeah. Embarassed Laughing
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Hi Andy, check my review of next seasons kit, its pretty obvious i rate the icelantics!! the pilgrim is an awesome bit of kit, id choose them over just about every all mountain ski out there for next season, super solid on the piste for a fatty, good in the pow and nice in the park, you couldnt ask for much more IMO? also worth checking out the movement kamasutras? have fun testing!!!
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
cheers for the input guys! the Icelantic's have definetly caught my eye, im thinking the pilgrims are going to be the better piste ski so im leaning that way at the moment.

EDIT:

well i have just bought some Icelantic Pilgrims 169's i saw them for a heavily reduced price last ones in stock so i just went for it... now i need bindings... i saw a couple places have paired them up with Vist 412's does anyone have any other suggestions?

Andy
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Andy00, the Vist's are excellent quality being metal construction on all the parts that matter plus their VK-W 92mm brakes are spot on for the Pilgrim. And there's a choice of 32 different coloured covers so you can match 'em up to your skis or gear. If you can get to Nottingham I'll do you a great deal on a pair of mounted up Vist 412's wink
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Hi - I just bought a pair of Radical Freeride skis and loved them.....

.... they come in 175cm or 185cm as standard but can be custom made to any spec/size you want.

Check out their website perhaps, or Sandown Park ski-shop site for info.....

Worth a look - perhaps with Marker Jester bindings which I got and are cool!!

Nig
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Nigel H, Nice skis snowHead
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Hi chaps, question about the Icelantic skis - I usually ski on Movement Sparks which are 176 (or therabouts). The Icelantic range looks superb, but they all look quite short. Is there something to do with the design which means you don't need to go as long?
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Snowmonkey, Icelantic believe that surface area is more important than length however due to torsional stiffness the 169 pilgrim feels longer and more stable than many comparible brands of a similar length. For 08/09 however the pilgrim is out in a 179cm and many testers at the recent SIGB ski test prefered that length if they were over 85kg (ish)
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Thanks kiwi1. Can you tell me what the damage is for a set of these skis? They don't seem to be widely available online...
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Snowmonkey, The 179s won't be available until Nov but you should be able to pick up current season Pilgrims from jonsskituning or 47degrees in london for £275-£325
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
kiwi1, hmm not bad. i thought they'd be loads pricier. Dammit, another thing to spend my money on...
snow conditions
Snowmonkey - stop by Vieux Campeur the next time you're passing - they discounted the Icelantics very heavily last season.

Alternatively, I can always carry you some out with me Wink
snow report
what about a pair of Scott's - see HERE wink
ski holidays
Check out Radical Skis

http://www.radical-sports.co.uk/products.html

The Freerider or Radical Ski - awesome!! Skullie Toofy Grin
ski holidays
Nigel H wrote:
Check out Radical Skis

http://www.radical-sports.co.uk/products.html

The Freerider or Radical Ski - awesome!! Skullie Toofy Grin

Very stealth bomber.
snow report
Movement, great skis
ski holidays
Hope all you kind peeps can make a recommendation for me - relatively new to off piste, love it, will do lots more. Spent a week in La Grave in Jan and will go back next year - hopefully with own freeride skis. What I'm after is suggestions for what to test - mostly off piste, but some piste performance to get one around pisted bits decently. Currently skiing on Volkl Attiva S5 161cm (I'm 168cm & around 70kg), which I adore, but they're not really designed for powder. I don't really know where to start - I know I shouldn't choose by graphics or colour! - so any suggestions for models to test would be much appreciated. Preferably not too heavy since I may have to hike with them at some point! I'm going to try some of the models at the EoSB - I'm attracted by Zags particularly, but welcome other thoughts. Ta!

Last edited by You'll need to Register first of course. on Wed 19-03-08 11:49; edited 1 time in total
latest report
I bought soem atomic nomad crimsons and think they are excellent. I'm 6ft 3 and 15 stone and I possibly ski it too short at 176 but they give me confidence when I started venturing off piste more. I used them on piste quite happily though not as much fun there as my RX8s but you would expect. Makes lsush very much easier
ski holidays
Very Happy
rolling eyes

A world of posibilities - if you have not already done so - check out the link I put above for the Radical skis.

The Freerider will fit the bill perfectly ............

Enjoy

Madeye-Smiley
latest report
Quote:

just one thing i would like to go no bigger then 170's

any particular reason?
snow conditions
dan100, Crimsons too, same length for me at 88kg 176cm height. Need to allow them to go a bit, and my 1080 foils are a bit better for some stuff, but fun.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy