Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Austria - where is likely to still be open first 2 weeks in April?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Can any Austria experts advise me as to which resorts/areas are still likely to be open in the first 2 weeks of April?

There's some nice accommodation available in the Ski Amade area but I'm not sure if it's a very safe bet for skiing at that time of year - anyone know when they plan to shut their lifts?

This year I'm, trying to avoid French mega resorts for the late ski break but am just a little worried about the reliability of snow in Austria at that time of year!
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Most of the Ski Amade resorts tend to shut either first or second week of April.....

head further west in Austria:- more glaciers, more snow, later skiing.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Solden, Stubai, Kaprun, Hintertux, and Ischgl. All snow reliable at that time of year.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Hi

Take a look at Obergurgl, open untill may, lovely open pistes, good hotels we thoughtt it fab and so do many who return year after year!
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
St.Anton is open until 27th April.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Been to St Anton twice in late April - very quiet slopes, great snow, great piste maintenance on lower runs to make sure you can ski back to the town. With the equally snowsure Lech & Zurs on the lift pass (easily reached by frequent buses) it's highly recommended.

Soelden, Obergurgl and Ischgl are safe bets too and are all excellent/high/snowsure.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Thanks for those tips guys, much apreciated Very Happy

Of all the places mentioned the one that sems to have the most accomodation available is Kaprun, I presume I'd be better there than in Zell am See or doesn't it matter?

Anyone got any accomodation (apartments) tips for the other resorts such as good online resources etc?

I'm noticing that Austria seems to be less well geared up to internet booking and there's less online information in English than for France, perhaps one of the reasons most people end up in France?
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
roga wrote:
Of all the places mentioned the one that sems to have the most accomodation available is Kaprun, I presume I'd be better there than in Zell am See or doesn't it matter?

Compared to last year Easter is early so many more resorts will shut in March. The skiing at Zell has a much lower altitude than the Kitzsteinhorn glacier nr Kaprun so Kaprun is the safer bet.

http://www.bergfex.com/austria/schneewerte/?sort=Berg,DESC
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Thanks for the link DB, very useful Very Happy

I don't suppose anyone can recommend decent ski schools or instructors in the Kaprun area too?

I'd like somewhere with a snow garden/crèche for a wee one and I'll be looking for advanced guiding/coaching for myself - English spoken too if poss Toofy Grin
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
roga, Lech & Zurs will certainly still be open and (I think) have the best snow record in Austria. St Anton IMO will be very soft as a lot of the slopes face south.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
27th April - Obergurgl St Anton
29th April - Obertauern
1st May - Ischgl
6th May - Solden
18th May - Pitztal

Info from SCGB
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Obertauern (I hope, as I'm going) should have great conditions. With all the usual caveats, the signs look good. 150/250 base now. Most of the 16 day GFS ensemble is encouragingly snowy and cold.

1 hour from Salzburg. Return transfer 42€. Loads of accomodation bookable online through www.obertauern.com.

I expect you can fly Bristol to Salzburg. Failing that you may need to trek to Bournemouth, Gatwick or Stanstead for cheap fares.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
roga wrote:
Thanks for those tips guys, much apreciated Very Happy

Anyone got any accomodation (apartments) tips for the other resorts such as good online resources etc?

I'm noticing that Austria seems to be less well geared up to internet booking and there's less online information in English than for France, perhaps one of the reasons most people end up in France?

Of the three glacier resorts I've been two I'd say that Karpun was easily my least preferred (not that it was bad mind). This was because the skiing area seemed to be more limited in size and variation than the Stubai and Solden.

The Stubai glacier was the best in terms of an integral skiing area. The glacier skiing is a bus ride away (but the bus system was efficient) from the main accommodation area (though there are a couple of hotels near the base station). The glacier is very big and varied and has plenty of skiing for most levels and it has the advantage of being one integral area unlike Solden where it is split between two smaller glaciers. The other good points were the short distance from Innsbruck (great if you have a car to visit in the evenings) and that there were some smaller ski areas in the valley which are fun if the snow is good. They are much lower altitude wise but we still had good skiing at Easter a couple of years ago.

Solden is quite a different resort to Stubai. It is a very lively place with a great rep for your Austrian apres-ski. One advantage over the Stubai is that the lifts to the main skiing areas go right from the town. It has several different areas that will all have good snow right through the season. The boast from the tourist office is that Solden is the only Austrian resort that contains 3 peaks that are each over 3000m. Each one has a great viewing platform at the top. While this means the skiing is more varied than the Stubai it does mean that you do get a few bottlenecks in the afternoon as people head back to the town. Really there is little to choose between the two IMO but if you want something more lively then definitely go for Solden.

While it is probably true that there are relatively few brits in these resorts, we've never had any trouble booking rooms etc. Most of the Solden website is duplicated in English. Your best bet is to phone the tourist office direct. The Solden one has always had excellent english speakers when we've used them and they've always been helpful.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy