Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Has anyone bought gear from US shops online before?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hello

I was just wondering if anybody has bought any of their ski gear from US shops online before, eg www.backcountry.com?? I know that not all US/Canadian shops do ship goods to outside of the US/Canada anyway and if they do then you can be liable for paying customs charges. How do they work out how much it costs in these customs charges if you do buy stuff from the States and does it still work out cheaper? Stuff does seem cheaper there anyway and especially once the price is converted from $ to £ it seems to make an even bigger saving. Do you still save money once the customs charges have been added and how do you pay for them anyway? Are customs charges always added or is it pot luck?

Thanks
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
VolklAttivaS5, Custom charges are usually vat at standard rate plus 6% import duty plus whatever charge the carrier levies for collecting the duty Royal Mail charge about £8.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
ThanksJP,

Was just going to edit my post-had a look at the shipping charge from the USA on Backcountry using the Camelbak I just bought here in the UK as an example. Even with just the shipping cost and before VAT and import duty would be added then the converted cost into £ was near enough what the Camelbak cost me here in the UK anyway. Glad I haven't missed out on anything besides they didn't have the right colour anyway! Clearly I am going to have a book a ski trip to the States asap as an excuse to go to US ski shops and buy ski gear at a reduced price! Smile

Thanks
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I've used backcountry.com a lot. BUT, once you take VAT and import duties into account (plus the 'administration charge' that Parcel Force levies for collecting the tax), even at current exchange rates, you won't make a massive saving.

Luckily, I have a friend in the US - so I get stuff delivered to them and get them to post it as a 'gift' or simply bring it back when I visit (unpacked and muddied-up a bit wink )

It's certainly worth buying from the US - for price on some things, or simply to get stuff that isn't easily available over here. I can recommend backcountry.com and REI for customer service. But always check out facewest.co.uk over here first: great for unusual gear and for price compared with the UK high street chains.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
VolklAttivaS5, If you are in Canada when you buy skis there, and then bring home you can claim back the goods and service tax (Just remember to get your form at Customs in Canada)
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Odin, Stevo, thanks guys. Facewest are good, have got a few bits of ski stuff from them.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
VolklAttivaS5 wrote:

Was just going to edit my post-had a look at the shipping charge from the USA on Backcountry using the Camelbak I just bought here in the UK as an example. Even with just the shipping cost and before VAT and import duty would be added then the converted cost into £ was near enough what the Camelbak cost me here in the UK anyway.

Pretty good job on their part in setting RRP, then, what with currency fluctuation predictions during the product/model's, ah, shelf life, no?
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
VolklAttivaS5, I've used back country once, bought two transceivers and probes and I think I saved about £70 on each set although I got a friend to bring them back on a business trip as a gift so the same as Stevo did really.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy