Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Chains - a legal requirement (on a hire car)?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hiring a car at Grenoble this Saturday evening and off to Alpe d'Huez. Mr Easycar would like to charge a packet for something that may never be used - although the forecast http://www.snow-forecast.com/resorts/Alpe-d-Huez/6day/mid does indicate almost continuous snow for Sun/Mon/Tues(!) Toofy Grin But what are the chances of needing them running on the main road between AdH and down to the village of Huez? Confused

Does anybody have any recommendations? Is it mandatory to have snow chains with the vehicle or fitted to the wheels depending upon where you are or the conditions, etc?

Craghopper
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Craghopper, You can be turned back by the plod if conditions require chains and you haven't got them. May be cheaper to buy at a petrol station than hire from the orange one.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Craghopper, Using the forum search facility put snow chains in tick the second box and the answers will appear plus lots of other snow chain related threads Toofy Grin
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Get snowtyres, I've driven over mountain passes with snow tyres where 4x4s etc were getting stuck and stopping to put chains on.

However as kewhoward suggests, the police can block the road and only allow folks with chains to continue...

This is one of the reasons I rent from Hertz or Avis, I get snow tyres and chains in the price Smile

cheers,

Greg
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
kitenski, now that is worth knowing. Thanks.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Quote:
This is one of the reasons I rent from Hertz or Avis, I get snow tyres and chains in the This is one of the reasons I rent from Hertz or Avis, I get snow tyres and chains in the price

In Grenoble? Craghopper, If the hire company want a silly amount of money, then I would do what kewhoward suggests. However, given the forecast, you might regret it if you go without them. It's a pain, because most of the time they're just deadweight. But when you need them, you really need them. I've had to put them on snowtyres too; it just depends on the conditions.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
pam w, my guests have always had to pay extra for them at both Grenoble and Turin, although they are always included at Swiss side of Geneva (but not the French side),
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Ah, well spotted Pam, thats for Swiss hires....
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I hired from swiss side at GVA a couple of weeks ago with Budget and didn't get any Crying or Very sad
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Thank you, everyone. On balance looks like I will buy from the first garage I can find selling them. Very Happy Looks like they will be necessary. Sad And then try to sell them to somebody on the way out! Toofy Grin Like that is going to be easy ................. Shocked

Craghopper
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Craghopper,

Yes, best had, or like the others have said, hire a car from a company that includes snow chains as part of the price. I have read that hire cars on the Swiss side do (or are meant to) provide snowchains already in the car. Indeed the police do sometimes do spot checks and if you are found to have no snow chains with you, then you will be sent back down the mountain to buy some from the nearest garage or will be fined. Even worse if you do block the flow of traffic in snow up a mountain road and are found that you have no snow chains you can be presented with a hefty fine from said plod plus many angry people who are rather pi$$ed off that they have chains and you haven't! It just aint worth the hassle. You can get snow chains for what, £30-£50 these days, and if you intend to drive to France from the UK in your own vehicle in the future then once you have the snowchains you will always have them.

Good Luck

Emma
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
About 20 euros in a hypermarche for a set of chains.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Quote:
Looks like they will be necessary. Sad

Craghopper, why the sad smiley? Needing snowchains means there's fresh snow. Rejoice (unless you only need them on your way home, after a snowless week, that's really sad).

You'll be lucky if they ever fit any other car you ever drive; there are loads of different sizes. In my experience the very cheapest ones are the hardest to fit... do practice before you're stuck in a snowdrift. And smile! snowHead
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Pam W No, not looking glum. Sitting here at 0030, having just watched Warren Smith's video #2 and just itching to get on the snow! Very Happy Very Happy snowHead Sunday morning - YIPPEEEE!!!

Can life get much better? Puzzled Well, yes, as I've also fixed up to visit some French friends living in Grenoble - and the mum is a great cook! Yum! NehNeh And they'll join me skiing.

Oooo-errr, missus! Tally-ho! snowHead

Just knicked a pair of Mrs Craghopper's kitchen gloves to use for putting on/taking off chains. Toofy Grin

And thanks Emma, James, Pam

Note to self - stop using so many smilies ..................
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy