Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

London to Les Deux Alpes in July, ….by public transport ?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
We (my son and me) usually go for week in July; fly to Geneva, pick up a rental car at the airport and drive to LDA.

I am wondering how much it might save if we either use the ferry and drive down in our own car or fly to somewhere and then use public transport.

I don’t fancy that long drive even with two driving and by the time I have added Ferry costs, Road tolls and petrol it may not be cheap at all.

We could easily get by without a car in LDA so public transport seems appealing.

We live near Gatwick so Easyjet can get us to Geneva, Nice or Turin. Flights to Nice tend to be expensive. And Turin is on the other side of the alps so I think our best bet is to fly into Geneva.

What would be the best public transport option from Geneva to LDA probably going on the 12th July and returning on the 19th ? Trains, bus, coach, or combination ?

All options considered (including flying from another London airport).

Thanks,
Mike
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
micky, Grenoble is by far the easiest airport, then cheap public buses up to LDA. BA fly there from Gatwick. However I don't think all the budget airlines fly there as frequently in the summer, not sure of BA. Buses probably less frequent too (timetable on airport website). I'm driving down there at Easter only because it's for 2 weeks and we've so much to take, it's certainly not cheaper for 2, may be so for more.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Is LDA skiiable in July then?
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
You can ski on the glacier in the mornings until end of Aug - but its always packed you wouldn't enjoy it.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
micky, yes, a long ride for a short slide.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Can't fly to Grenoble in July from SE England.

Could go Heathrow to Lyon, how from there to LDA ?
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
micky, There's a bus runs from Lyon Airport to Grenoble Bus Station, at least there is one in the Winter. Bus from there to Les Deux Alpes. Failing that I think you can get a train, bus and train stations at Grenoble are next door
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
micky, If you can get to Stansted then Ryanair have flights to Grenoble in July. I just checked their online timetable.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I found this company on this site les2Alpes that do Lyon to Les Deux Alpes for 44 euros return.

satobus

They also reference a company called VFD but it looks like you need to get a shuttle to Grenoble first and then catch the bus to LDA.

Also found this site as it has info on Connections - just scroll down a bit.

Day Tripper
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
An alternative is to get on one of the ski trains with overnight couchette (heading towards Bourg St Maurice) and get out early in the morning at Chambery. Take one of the many regular trains to Grenoble (one hour). The bus station with buses to LDH is at the end of the train station. Arrive just right for morning skiing.
On the last day ski all day then do it all in reverse and sleep your way back accross France.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowball, does that still apply for summer?
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
geetee, Ryanair don't seem to fly there on Saturday, and if I go on Sunday by the time I've paid for luggage, skis and check-in they work out dearer than BA Heathrow to Lyon.

Satobus is excellent link. I've emailed an enquiry to Satobus - I couldn't get an answer out of the website (I'm an IT mgr so that's probably why)

snowball, Snow train is probably too expensive and along with geetee I suspect it is a winter only service.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Not sure, I've only done it in winter. If you take Eurostar to Paris, then transfer stations to Austerlitz (or Gare du Lyons sometimes) and catch an overnight train heading to Bourg St Maurice (there might be only one instead of the several now) - I imagine it would be possible in Summer too. Bus timetable might be different - currently done with daytrip skiers in mind.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
micky, it's a shame about Ryanair not flying on the Saturday. Maybe the answer is to fly to Lyon then and catch this satobus transfer.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy