Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Zillertal lift pass and getting around

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
we're off to stay in at Vorlanersbach next week in the Tux Valley. It's just dawned on me that the Zillertal Superski Pass actually covers more than the area between Hintertux and Mayrhofen, and digging around, some of the areas look rather extensive.

So:

1) How easy is it to get to these places by bus (or train?). Or is a car really needed?
2) In terms of terrain, anywhere we should really try and get to? Places with easy-to-access off-piste and good red/black/ski route terrain would be highly desirable (we live in the US - what's a piste? Madeye-Smiley )

And of course, any other tips on this area would be marvellous ...
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Gortonator,
A piste is snow that is made look like cordoroy so snowboardors can sit on it Toofy Grin

A car would make things alot easier and a little more conienient. The public transport is pretty good and the train that runs through the valley is very handy for getting around but you are restricted by running times. The busses are amazing always on time and run all day up till about 5:30,6 ish.

Every ski area in the valley has some off piste if you know where to look Toofy Grin.

In Mayrhofen, under the 150Cable car there are some great runs on both sides ot it especially the Rastokel side but you will probably be best with a guide for that side adn the snow has to be good. At Finkenberg, ski anywhere under the Katzenmoosbahn double chair, Carefull though they dont always take down the barbed wire fences during the winter Shocked . Above Zell am Ziller there is tons of off pist agian if you get a guide you will get alot out of a small area and it is rarley tracked out as there are only 2 lifts and it is not as crowded as the other resorts

The Hintertux has some off pist but you WILL DEFINATLEY NEED A GUIDE,

There are tons of threads on what to do, drink etc in Mayrhofen on here if you search for them but Apres ski is the Ice Bar! Toofy Grin I am there the week of the 15th if you want to hook up and hit some pow Madeye-Smiley
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I wrote this thread after visiting Zillertal Valley Jan 2008. I had a car and was able to sample each area of the valley.

There are 3 large skiing areas in the Valley; Mayrhofen, Zillertal Arena and Hochzillertal each has about 150km piste. Others are just smaller areas including Hintertux.

You can gauge the distance yourself. The first resort Fugen is 5 miles from the valley entrance while the last resort Hitertux is 32 miles and so the two extreme ends of resorts are separated by a distance of 32-5 = 27 miles.

Vorlanersbach is part of Mayrhofen area made up by Horberg, Penken, Finkenberg, Rastkogel and Eggalm, all fully linked. I believe Vorlanersbach accesses mainly Eggalm and Rastkogen. Thus going to Zillertal Arena and Hichzillertal should be 7 and 12 miles bus rides.

Never try the bus myself but I believe the public transport is very good in the valley.

Mayrhofen is probably the best area in term of skiing variety and challenge. Hinterlux can be very windy.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
gortonator, The public transport system is generally pretty good for getting around the valley, and is all included on the lift pass.

From Mayrhofen to Zell am Ziller on the train (every half an hour) is about 10 minutes, plus a 5 minute bus ride.

It is another 12 minutes beyond Zell am Ziller for Kaltenbach, where the lifts are about 300m from the train station.

As Ordhan said, there is plenty of off-piste available in most of the areas, although I thnik the largest amount of easily accessed off-piste is probably in the Zillertal arena area. The front face can get quite tracked out, but if you go off the left hand side near run 10, that was still pretty clear at the end of the week I was there, as was the area near run 11 off the back, and a lot of it further "in" to the area.

As for the pisted runs, they are mostly red in all the areas, and with one or two exceptions, the blacks are no more than hard reds really.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
thx everyone - wonderful information. Sounds like teh weather next week might be a tad wild for a few days, so we'll have to choose destination carefully

And Ordhan, we head off on 15th to Ischgl for another week so will miss you. Have fun ...
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
gortonator, Link to all the bus and train services in the Zillervalley here. The Zillertalbahn narrow gauge railroad runs between Jenbach (at the entrance to the valley) and terminates in Mayrhofen, bus services go beyond Mayrhofen to the Hintertux glacier.
How are you getting to Lanersbach from your arrival airport? Is transfer included or are you going by train/car? Unless you are already hiring a car to get there, I wouln't have thought it worthwhile hiring a car just to get around within the valley, since public transport is so good (and included with your lift pass!)

PS I am particularly fond of the Kaltenbach/Hochfugen ski area Very Happy
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Alastair Pink, transferring from Munich by train/bus (we're DIY-ers), so suspect we'll stick to public transport when there. Thx for the link! Perfect ...
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
gortonator, You probably know this, but from Munich airport you can get the S8 line light rail S bahn to Ostbahnhof (it's not necessary to go as far as the Hauptbahnhof in the city centre), where you catch the main line train in the direction of Innsbruck, it crosses the Austrian border at Kufstein and then you get off at Jenbach, and change platforms for the Zillertalbahn. Here's the Link for the German railways (Deutsche Bundesbahn)
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
gortonator,

I did exactly what you are planning to do; another week in Silvretta after Zillertal. Here is the thread I wrote for Silvretta. Ischgl is the biggest resort in that valley. Very nice indeed.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
saikee wrote:
gortonator,

I did exactly what you are planning to do; another week in Silvretta after Zillertal. Here is the thread I wrote for Silvretta. Ischgl is the biggest resort in that valley. Very nice indeed.

And I thought we were original!

Can't wait for Ischgl either. Skied Lech/Arlberg 3 years ago and loved it - we had great snow - so if Ischgl is up to that standard Madeye-Smiley

Interesting that you checked out Serfaus. That was on our list too, and looks darn nice on the Internet at least. Better accommodation options sent us to Zillertal - sure we won't suffer. Next time Serfaus perhaps? I suspect it could be highly enjoyable exploring the Austrian 'off the Englisher speakers beaten track' resorts.

It's actually hard to drag us away from Pacific Northwest skiing when its so close/good, but it has to be done. I think another fix of Japow might be needed next year Smile
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Alastair Pink, thx - I 'kinda' knew this info but your post provided me the impetus to go to the sites and download timetables.

Now if we get to Munich on time, bags actually arrive and we get the 13.00 train, we'll be drinking by 5pm .... I'll keep dreaming
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy