Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Tell me all you know about Snowmass USA

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Where to stay?

Where to fly to? Denver/ Aspen?

Is it easy to get to Aspen for skiing/ nightlife/ bars etc?

Is it cheap/ expensive?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I'm going to suggest registering at www.epicski.com and searching and asking there. Lots of folks there should have some first hand info. I've not been so I'm little help. I would say it's a place I'd definately like to visit.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
It's NOT cheap. But it's not as expensive as Aspen.

Getting to Aspen for skiing is quite easy. Bus is free and run every few minutes. But getting to Aspen for nightlife/bar is NOT particularly easy. You have to pay for the bus after a certain hour (I forgot exactly WHAT hous) and the bus don't run all that often.

Fly to Aspen.

DON'T stay at the Pokolodi. That's all I can say.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
abc,

Apparently you have to pay for the buses after 4.30pm, but they run till 2.00am. Thinking of the Silvertree or Wildwood
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
johnboy, check your PM!
Fly to Aspen from Chicago (United) - the transfer to Snowmass is only a few minutes. Transfer from Denver is maybe 3-4 hours. You can fly Denver-Aspen, but if the weather closes in, that flight will be cancelled or delayed, but the Chicago flight is in a bigger plane and tends to get through (great views as you land!)

For "cheap" (but good) - drink at the Mountain Dragon - during happy hour (4-6pm I think) It's $9 for 4 pints of beer, normally $12, and they do free snacks (potato wedges/chicken wings).
The Stew Pot serves good food - two people could have a good 3 course meal there for about £30 (got a bit of a "home cooked" feel to it)
If you decide to order a pizza from one of the local delivery places, be aware of the sizing: Small would feed 2-3 people. A large one will feed 8.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
johnboy wrote:
abc,

Apparently you have to pay for the buses after 4.30pm, but they run till 2.00am. Thinking of the Silvertree or Wildwood

My re-collection of the bus is free till 6 (or 8)pm'ish. So staying for a drink is fine but drink+dinner will entail bus fare. Not a big deal, only a few dollars. But the frequency of buses are severely reduced after 6 (or Cool.

Silvertree look very nice. Haven't stay there so no personal experience.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
The bus is only free until 16.45. At least that's what the drivers told us at the beginning of February. That is, from Snowmass to Aspen. Not sure about the other way as we stayed in Aspen.
We did the road transfer from Denver to Aspen with Colorada Mountain Express coach company. five hours including comfort stops. It was a budgetry choice as flying in to Aspen would have added too much to the trip. Just as well as Aspen airport (field? Smile ) was shut to ALL flights until around midday the day after.
If you were to be on your way home that kind of delay can mean missed flights to the UK. However, yes, weather permitting, flying in is simply the best! did it that way two years back.
Very impressed with the CME drivers we had, BTW. Especially on our way there through that snowstorm.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Free bus to all 4 mountains runs as stated above until 4.30, then a charge is made, it is efficient, quick and easy to get to all 4 mountains from one base. We stayed at the Stonebridge Inn - Snowmass. The Silvertree looked nice, close to the main bus stop and the home run. Eating was cheap but we were dissappointed with the quality, that said it was fine. Didn't go into Aspen at night but would imagine it would be easy to. There is a bar/mexican restaurant on the top level of the mall ( WTFH/ Nells may remember the name of it? ) that did the best Margarita's I've ever tasted - very numbing!! and the bar on the home run - Cirque? is a great place to sit for a few beers at the end of the day. Check out the website www.aspensnowmass.com . We had a great time, one of our best days skiing ever after a 36 hour dump and would recommend Snowmass as a base - it has the most skiing on it's doorstep. Wouldn't say we found it overly expensive when there. Not much nightlife in Snowmass, but we like to ski all day, have a few ( or so ) beers, shower, change, eat, nightcap then sleep, so it didn't bother us.
Flghts - as has been said above. It's preferable to fly into Aspen rather than the 4-5 hour bus transfer which only goes from Denver in 3 hourly intervals so you may have to wait after you arrive for the next one. But Aspen airport is easily closed then you may have to take the bus anyway or wait until you can fly.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I only did one day at Snowmass, but thought the skiing was, while extensive, pretty cruisey. I imagine there's lots of hidden stuff to explore tho.

Also did a day at Aspen, and loved it. Good consistent steepness and fall line, great trees, and lots of obvious good quality terrain to play in. I imagine Highlands is rather tasty too - one day ...
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Quote:

I only did one day at Snowmass, but thought the skiing was, while extensive, pretty cruisey. I imagine there's lots of hidden stuff to explore tho.

Yes, there's lots more than cruisy stuff. (Unless you consider skiing down a narrow vertical oil well shaft as "cruisy" Smile )

Flying vs. coach: I got stuck by a serious storm and had to (teamed up with a fellow passenger) drive out on a hired SUV to Denver. (Yes, missed my flight back east but Delta put me on the next flight no problem) Even then, if I go again I'd probably fly. It ended up costing about the same but faster (weather permitting).

WTFH has a point, fly from Chicago has a slight advantage due to the larger plane. On the other hand, if the weather is bad enough to ground that flight, you can't just drive to Chicago like I did to Denver. Very Happy (though if you're flying a major airlines they could still re-route you from Denver to Chicago)

Quote:

Eating was cheap but we were dissappointed with the quality, that said it was fine.

Cheap?

OK, I found food in Snowmass not at all cheap but the quality is more than just fine. I guess that means there're choices to fit different budget. Good news.

I've only been there once but stayed a week. So I'm reaching the end of my "knowledge" of Snowmass now...Smile
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
minx wrote:
There is a bar/mexican restaurant on the top level of the mall ( WTFH/ Nells may remember the name of it? ) that did the best Margarita's I've ever tasted - very numbing!! and the bar on the home run - Cirque? is a great place to sit for a few beers at the end of the day.

Eek - that mexican - we didn't even make it there this year - I spent a lot of time there last year!
The Cirque bar was a popular haunt at the end of the day, and the live music inside wasn't bad.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Been to Snowmass several times and skied all the nearby resorts via the bus. Make sure you go to Krablooniks restaurant - you can ski to it and the food and service is excellent. It is right beside the husky dogs kennels and you can also take a ride with them if you want. Lunch or dinner but I prefer lunch as you can then continue skiing - depending on how much of the excellent wines you have tried!
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
skilegs wrote:
Been to Snowmass several times and skied all the nearby resorts via the bus. Make sure you go to Krablooniks restaurant - you can ski to it and the food and service is excellent. It is right beside the husky dogs kennels and you can also take a ride with them if you want. Lunch or dinner but I prefer lunch as you can then continue skiing - depending on how much of the excellent wines you have tried!
Ditto in every respect, save that I've only been to the area once. Still managed to ski a lot of the area, though, using the excellent bus service and Krablooniks was indeed terrific. For me it was the trees that made the scenery and the skiing interesting - the mountains aren't spiky enough for my taste!
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy