Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

No more skiing for another year

Poster: A snowHead
That's it for another year for me. Sad . I must get a job with more holiday for two trips.

Spent last week in Morzine and despite difficult icy & lumpy conditions for really improving technique, I probably covered more skiing miles than the last two years. Still, I reckon next season in better conditions I'll be Cool .

Biggest dissapointment was the ESF instructor who I basically learned nothing from except the theory of pole planting. Conditions and my own technical problems stopped me from geting to grips with it. Once again it was a skiing mate and not the instructor who pointed out what I was doing wrong half way through the week. When I mentioned to the the instructor I was struggling sometimes in getting my right turns, all he said was 'just practice'. My mate noticed that in steeper lumpy conditions (where I got nervous) I actually over turned, upper body and shoulders almost turning uphill rather than facing downhill. Once I was conscious of this I was able to correct, just a shame it took half the week to realise.

Even so, I had a really good week. Nice town as well.

Geneva airport - aaarrgghhh Mad two hours waiting for bags on the way out. On the way back after going through the departure gate, there were two coaches but no officials to say which one. Other passengers confirmed we were on the Gatwick one, only to find out when we boarded the plane that it was a different Gatwick flight! Our plane was two planes along. Got that sorted at no extra delay but then takeoff delayed 1hr 20 mins due to baggage not being loaded.

Next skiing activity to look forward to is the TKMaxx pre-season sale to get a better jacket. Skiing in the rain (a new experience), I discovered that my current jacket wasn't quite as waterproof as I thought.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Jeraff, welcome back and sympathy for the 'last trip' of the year - I'm feeling a bit guilty about the MSB, potential Easter and the EoSB now Blush snowHead snowHead

Know what you mean about rain! Scotland taught me a lesson or two in January on that front but I've decided not to bother with a new rain-resistent jacket until the current one has had it as chance of rain in Alps is pretty small, really....... No?

The airport delays sound horrendous! Have you thought about taking trains? Madeye-Smiley
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Jeraff, Sympathies Sad I know what you mean and I'll be like you in a few weeks time. We've got one more fling which is a long weekend in Morzine at Easter. I'm really looking forward to it but that will be it until who knows when. It might not be until Easter 2009 (which is currently 395 sleeps away) unless we find something reasonable for Christmas and half term.

The problems you had at Geneva sound terrible.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
dissapointed to hear that ESF were below par. They do have some excellent intsructors! honest snowHead

Its a horrible thought that Im not going to be going skiing for at least 9months.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
You poor old thing geetee!

I really think parents should be able to pull their kids out of school (especially primary schools) without any hassle. I think kids learn a lot more from a holiday than they ever would by sitting in a classroom chanting the alphabet/times tables! Up until my A-levels I never attende the last week or 2 of school before the summer holidays and it never did me any harm... wink

..but then if you lived in a ski resort, don't the local kids take ski lessons instead of PE? It's just a thought! Little Angel
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Snowy wrote:

I really think parents should be able to pull their kids out of school (especially primary schools) without any hassle.

I find it little hassle writing a note to the head in the July informing her of the dates next year that junior won't be in school. They can't complain about lack of notice!

Quote:

..but then if you lived in a ski resort, don't the local kids take ski lessons instead of PE?

Not in summer!

I can't understand why people say "no more skiing until next year": there is always the option of artificial slopes, join a coaching programme at one and you'll improve dramatically by then.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Snowy, Laughing sorry!! I should count my lucky stars eh? I hear they're clamping down on holidays during term time but until we definitely know which school little geetee is going to then we can't find out how stringent the school will be. IMHO I don't see why there should be a problem when she is in reception or year 1.

Snowy wrote:

..but then if you lived in a ski resort, don't the local kids take ski lessons instead of PE? It's just a thought!

Maybe we should be filling in those application forms, eh? Everyone else we know is moving out that way! Laughing

Has the countdown begun now? wink
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
RobW wrote:

the option of artificial slopes

It's just not the same, not even close.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
RobW wrote:
Quote:

..but then if you lived in a ski resort, don't the local kids take ski lessons instead of PE?

Not in summer!

Not even on a glacier? Little Angel
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
geetee wrote:
Maybe we should be filling in those application forms, eh? Everyone else we know is moving out that way! Laughing

Has the countdown begun now? wink

Moving to near a ski resort sounds like a great idea!! The only problem with moving to certain parts of the world are the jobs available there. Mind you, marketing and sales seems popular in every city so if you're into those you're in luck! Smile Perhaps I should retrain as a ski boot fitter/golf course groundskeeper/marmot chaser...

Actually after watching Ski Sunday, I thought the best idea would be to open a hotel in the Alps which takes in guests on a day to day basis, rather than just Saturday to Saturday. It seems to be a big problem over there for long weekenders. I just don't know why it hasn't caught on! rolling eyes

The countdown has stuck and needs a prod to get it counting down again!
wink
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Quote:
Skiing in the rain (a new experience)

Certainly separates the men from the boys in jacket terms, doesn't it? Exactly how I found out one of mine wasn't very waterproof. First time I was ever genuinely soaked to the skin, and very unpleasant it was too. TK Maxx is great, though, isn''t it? Got a new jacket a couple of weeks ago from the last of their stock. You can get waterproof sprays and washing liquids, though, and they're pretty good.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
RobW wrote:

Not in summer!

From www.whistlerblackcomb.com

Winter 2007/2008

Whistler
Opening Day November 17, 2007 (opened early)
Closing Day April 20, 2008

Blackcomb
Opening Day November 22, 2007
Closing Day June 8, 2008

Spring Skiing: April 21, 2008 through June 8, 2007
Access via Excalibur and Excelerator only

Summer Skiing: June 9, 2008 through July 27, 2008
Access via Wizard and Solar only

I think that covers the summer term. Very Happy
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Well if your in London take a look at http://www.firstgroup.com/scotrail/content/caledoniansleeper/index.php and keep an eye out on what the weather is doing up North, you never know... Works slightly better for CairnGorm than Nevis due to earlier arrival of the train in Aviemore than Fort William. An alternative when aiming for the Glencoe area which some climbers do is get the Glasgow sleeper which leaves London about 11pm and hire a car in Glasgow and drive up the A82.

Some pix from Tuesday:

^Fresh tracks at Nevis Range in the Back Corries.

^Hitting a rainbow rail in the Main Basin at Glencoe.

^The Main Basin at Glencoe.

When the train leaves London it has 2 or 3 cafe bar cars depending on the number of sleeper coaches heading to Fort William, so on the way back you can get stuck into the Sunday night Apres Ski as you travel homewards! snowHead
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
[quote="RobW"]
Snowy wrote:

I really think parents should be able to pull their kids out of school (especially primary schools) without any hassle.

I find it little hassle writing a note to the head in the July informing her of the dates next year that junior won't be in school. They can't complain about lack of notice!

[quote]

But regardless of notice, whether they allow it or not is entirely at their discretion unless your employer forces your holiday dates on you.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Nice photos Winterhighland Very Happy
ski holidays
alex_heney, exactly right. I also think that some people think it's law to be able to take their children out of school for up to 10 days when in actual fact, as you say, it's at the school's discretion. I hope little geetee is lucky too and has an understanding head like the one at RobW junior's school but I'm not going to bank on it.
ski holidays
geetee wrote:
alex_heney, exactly right. I also think that some people think it's law to be able to take their children out of school for up to 10 days when in actual fact, as you say, it's at the school's discretion. I hope little geetee is lucky too and has an understanding head like the one at RobW junior's school but I'm not going to bank on it.

They're getting worse.....although my sons's absence (next week Laughing ) has been authorised the head warned me she would take a dim view of us booking in term time again.

However, what most people dont realise is that you can still take the child out during term time even if its not authorised....it just gets classed as 'unauthorised leave' and quite a lot of parents are happy with that. Its hardly truancy, even if the definition is that the child is truant. The only years I would concern myself with are the KS1 and KS2 years in infant/primary...and then lets face it, they're hardly going to determine university places. We cant even guarantee our son will get his chosen secondary school. So, until we can, I'm not going to preturb myself by 'breaking a few rules' here and there...

I do like the idea that my employer could (and would wink ) dictate my annual leave though.
snow report
geetee wrote:
RobW wrote:

Not in summer!

From www.whistlerblackcomb.com <snip>

Yeh yeh. But I think it highly unlikely that the local kids go skiing in their PE session, as IIRC it takes quite a while to get up Blackcomb in the summer, and as soon as they got there it would be time to come down again.
snow report
Fruity wrote:
geetee wrote:

They're getting worse.....although my sons's absence (next week Laughing ) has been authorised the head warned me she would take a dim view of us booking in term time again.

However, what most people dont realise is that you can still take the child out during term time even if its not authorised....it just gets classed as 'unauthorised leave' and quite a lot of parents are happy with that. Its hardly truancy, even if the definition is that the child is truant.

But it is technically truancy. And the gi=overnment are proposing to make parents criminally liable for truancy of their children. The schools obviously don't like it, because truancy levels are one of the key indicators on which they are measured, and they will tend to take such things into account when there are "treats" on offer with limited places (e.g. school ski trips rolling eyes )

Quote:

The only years I would concern myself with are the KS1 and KS2 years in infant/primary...and then lets face it, they're hardly going to determine university places. We cant even guarantee our son will get his chosen secondary school. So, until we can, I'm not going to preturb myself by 'breaking a few rules' here and there...

I would be even more concerned with any of the 3rd form to 6th form (as they used to be called) in secondary school.

But I agree that it is not uinreasonable during other primary and secondary years, provided it is not taken to excess of course.

Quote:

I do like the idea that my employer could (and would wink ) dictate my annual leave though.

They do have the right to do so, unless your contract says otherwise (most non factory workers contracts do specify that you can choose your leave dates - subject to "operational requirements").

But that rule was introduced when it was commonplace for ppeople to be employed in factories which would shut completely for "factory fortnight" and that would be the only leave the parents would get.

There are still places where the shop floor operates that way.

And of course, all teachers have that situation (although more than a fortnight, and always in school holidays).
snow report
Fruity wrote:

However, what most people dont realise is that you can still take the child out during term time even if its not authorised....it just gets classed as 'unauthorised leave' and quite a lot of parents are happy with that.

It upsets the school more than the parents, as their published figures for "Unauthorised abscense" go up and they don't like that!

Quote:

Employers dictating holidays are one of the reasons schools commonly accept applications, but it is not a legal right. Quoting from our school's holiday form:

Quote:

The Education (Pupil Registration) (England) Regulations 2006 state:

Regulation 7 (1): Leave of Absence may only be granted by a person
authorised in that behalf by the proprietor of the school.
Regulation 7 (3): A pupil may be granted leave of absence from the school
to enable him to go away on holiday where-
a) an application has been made in advance to the
proprietor by the parent with whom the pupil
normally resides
b) the proprietor, or a person authorised by the
proprietor, considers that the leave of absence should
be granted due to the special circumstances relating
to that application
Regulation 7 (4) Save in exceptional circumstances, a pupil shall not be
granted more than 10 school days leave of absence in
any school year.

The 2006 DfES Guidance to School on ‘Keeping Pupil Registers’ states

1. Time off school for family holidays is not a right. Schools have
discretion to allow up to 10 days absence in a school year for a family
holiday if they believe that the circumstances warrant it.
a. Schools may agree up to 10 days “holiday leave” in special
circumstances such as: for service personnel and other employees who are
prevented from taking holidays outside term-time if the
holiday will have minimal disruption to the pupil’s
education; and when a family needs to spend time together to support
each other during or after a crisis.
b. Holidays which are taken for the following reasons should not
be authorised: availability of cheap holidays; availability of the desired accommodation; poor weather experienced in school holiday periods; and overlap with beginning or end of term.
c. Whilst the application must be made by the parent(s) that the
child normally resides with, there is no restriction on who the
holiday is taken with. This is a matter for the parent(s) not the
school.
d. If the local code of practice allows, parents can be given a
penalty notice or prosecuted for unauthorised holidays.

For skiing, it does help if the pupil is a member of a ski club and can show they are progressing through the sport - schools just love the publicity when one of their pupils appear in the local newspaper having won a trophy in a race somewhere. Toofy Grin
snow report
RobW, thanks for finding that. It's exactly the information that I referred to in my quote but I just couldn't find the link again. How did your word your letter to the head to avoid the restrictions of point (b)?
snow report
Jeraff Crying or Very sad Here is to next season
snow report
Like RobW I can't understand it when people say no more skiing for another year...

There are plenty of dry slopes all over the country and if those aren't your bag then there are the various snowdomes too.

Additionally, as Winterhighland has pointed out, there are the Scottish ski areas - from Bristol I've already managed a weekender in between trips abroad and time on dry locally and may head up again this weekend (will be working Friday and straight after on Monday so it's perfectly doable). I'll also be heading up there for 4 days over the Easter bank holiday weekend for the ski test at Nevis.

Skiing doesn't have to be a once a year holiday thing even if you're stuck in the south of England, just take advantage of the opportunities that are around and you'll soon wonder why you ever thought skiing was just a once a year thing! snowHead
ski holidays
roga wrote:
Like RobW I can't understand it when people say no more skiing for another year...

Me too ... our last trip to Cairngorm is usually at the end of April. This season we managed a trip up there before Christmas although we'd actually missed the best of the early snow a few weeks earlier.

Plenty of evidence on youtube - here's one of my real favourites from H11ly in NOVEMBER ! How much snow do you need?

http://youtube.com/v/j9Kcy1KRwHI
snow report
geetee, By explaining that it was training, not a holiday. Tied it in nicely to the final paragraph about schools liking the publicity when one of the pupils wins a trophy.
snow conditions
RobW, I like it! Very Happy After all, it's physical education isn't it.
ski holidays
geetee, there is a rumour that the niece and nephew Robbies are applying to their school for 2 weeks in early decemeber to come a-visiting. I shall forward the tips above to SIL for her letter Smile
And, they can claim a need to reinforce family ties...
Learn about other cultures...
Practise and train for their sporting endeavours...
Very Happy
ski holidays
[quote="RobW"]
Quote:

The Education (Pupil Registration) (England) Regulations 2006 state:

Regulation 7 (4) Save in exceptional circumstances, a pupil shall not be
granted more than 10 school days leave of absence in
any school year.

Can I blame global warming and claim that 'its snowing' as 'exceptional circumstances' then?
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Robbie, where have you been hiding then?! Very Happy Not seen you on here for ages.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy