Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Weighing a suitcase......

Poster: A snowHead
tips? Other than those undeniably inaccurate bathroom scales.... Little Angel
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Fruity, I use my very accurate Sad bathroom scales - they weigh in 250g increments and my case usually weighs the same at the airport within 1/2 a kilo.

otherwise, put case in car, drive to weighbridge, weigh car, remove case, weigh car again, subtract difference Madeye-Smiley
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
holidayloverxx, what highly-accurate bathroom scales do you use? I don't want them - but I know I need them. Madeye-Smiley
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
holidayloverxx, But mine are at least 1/2 stone out at the moment...I just tested them NehNeh
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I stand on the scales, weigh myself, then stand on scales holding bag. subtract one from the other = weight of bag.
My Taylor scales are pretty acurate
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Weigh yourself on bathroom scales (should be accurate to at least 1lb/half a kilo). Pick up case. Get back on scales. Subtract difference.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I cant lift the case Shocked but I know a man who can Laughing
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
why didnt I think of that???????? rolling eyes
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I've got Tanita ones any they are pretty accurate. Case generally weighs the same at home and at the airport.
Fruity, are you sure they are 1/2 a stone out - remember the Hula-hoops Shocked wink
Make sure they are on a firm surface - ie. not carpet.

Last edited by You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net. on Tue 4-03-08 15:33; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
FastEddie, Spyderman, ditto, except one of us has to crawl on the floor to read the weight Laughing
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
achilles, I think my scales are weight watcher - the glass one.

I can put the case on the scale, no need to do the lifting thing. agree, must eb on a firm surface, e.g.bathroom tiles.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
What do you lot take with you? I'm never anywhere near the limit.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Potatoes. I don't trust foreign potatoes
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Fruity, you're getting way too excited, girl! I've only just hung up the last washing we need.... Sad
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
First foreign holiday I went on my girlfriend had conducted the final stages of packing things into the suitcases. At the airport, having just confirmed the standard security blurb that the case was mine, I had packed it and no one had asked me to carry anything through customs etc we weighed in and were almost double the weight limit. Opening the cases was embarrasing as she had decided to pack a fair few tins of baked beans, peaches, corned beef, sausages etc in each case (just to save us from starving if the foreign food wasn't edible) and also packed her knickers/smalls in my suitcase because her's was full.

..... this must be the place for David Goldsmith's suitcase story (looks like it got pulled from the other thread).

Last edited by Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name: on Tue 4-03-08 16:03; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
Fruity, We have old fashioned hook thing for weighing suitcases although you need someone pretty strong to actually hold up case when attached to the hook and another person to read the weight! But saw these on ebay

http://search.ebay.co.uk/luggage-weighing_W0QQcrlpZ767972740Q5f51QQfcclZ1QQfclZ4QQfnuZ1QQfsooZ1QQfsopZ1QQkeywordZluggageQ20weighing
snow conditions
eng_ch wrote:
Fruity, you're getting way too excited, girl! I've only just hung up the last washing we need.... Sad

This is the first run Eng.......you should know there are at least 3 more to go before I get it right......S doesnt need all that stuff he got out the wardrobe and B can make do with 2 pairs of pants..... Toofy Grin Toofy Grin
snow conditions
minx wrote:

Fruity, are you sure they are 1/2 a stone out - remember the Hula-hoops Shocked wink
Make sure they are on a firm surface - ie. not carpet.

Shush.

Get back to your Sauvignon..... wink wink
snow report
Fruity, If you can't lift the case then it's too heavy and you'll get charged excess baggage Smile
snow report
I can lift upto 17kgs and then my back gives out.... I know that from work! I just lifted the heaviest and it was relatively easy actually.... now just need to put the clothes into it and try again.
ski holidays
DB,
Quote:

..... this must be the place for David Goldsmith's suitcase story (looks like it got pulled from the other thread

looks like it rolling eyes

Nope it's still there
http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=879870#879870

Last edited by You'll need to Register first of course. on Tue 4-03-08 17:00; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
Quote:

Quote:

..... this must be the place for David Goldsmith's suitcase story (looks like it got pulled from the other thread

Unlike the suitcase then?
latest report
I decided this time around that this is a largely pointless exercise. If you weigh it and it weighs too much, you've got to take stuff out. But if you're able to take stuff out, you never really needed it in the first place... so either pack just what you *really need* and nothing more, and if you're still over then pay the extra, or just pay the extra. I'm sure that doesn't help you at all Toofy Grin
latest report
...and the more I read that, the less sense it makes. Ignore me Smile
snow report
jonm,
Quote:

decided this time around that this is a largely pointless exercise. If you weigh it and it weighs too much, you've got to take stuff out. But if you're able to take stuff out, you never really needed it in the first place... so either pack just what you *really need* and nothing more, and if you're still over then pay the extra, or just pay the extra. I'm sure that doesn't help you at all

Can I use this when my daughter comes to pack for her easter trip with me?
snow report
halfhand, please do. I bet I'm not the only one who still has half a suitcase full of unused stuff at the end of a trip... Madeye-Smiley
snow conditions
Main issue being that we have an allocation of 60kgs (and being me, that means I want to use it all). But max allowance per case is 23kgs on our flight.....and we only want to take two cases...ie. 46 kgs.... I'm going to loose this battle arent I? Purely on a mathematical basis my scheme fails. Blast my child needing suitcase space Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad
latest report
jonm wrote:
I decided this time around that this is a largely pointless exercise. If you weigh it and it weighs too much, you've got to take stuff out. But if you're able to take stuff out, you never really needed it in the first place... so either pack just what you *really need* and nothing more, and if you're still over then pay the extra, or just pay the extra. I'm sure that doesn't help you at all Toofy Grin

Mine for the MSB contains my boots since I'm going easyJet and you pay per piece of checked-in luggage. Mind you, it makes no difference to the total weight allowed.

However, to the best of my knowledge, hand-baggage is not weighed, so I just moved some items to the bag I'm going to carry on. Shame those items couldn't include my toiletries Sad And before anyone suggests it, my boots are waaaay too big Evil or Very Mad

The case is now 19.5 kilos by my bathroom set-on-tiles scales so I should avoid surcharge. Anyway, I've lost around a stone since the last time I flew with easyJet so they should be happy!
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

Anyway, I've lost around a stone since the last time I flew with easyJet so they should be happy!

Well I think it's only a matter of time before tickets are priced based on your weight. I'm amazed Ryanair don't do it already! Given that we have to pay per excess kg of baggage, it seems unfair that someone who's 27 stone should fly for the same price as me. It'd be a great incentive for me to lose weight I reckon Toofy Grin
snow report
Fruity, why not make the sprog travel wearing lots of clothes? Michelin munchkin? Toofy Grin
ski holidays
jonm wrote:
Quote:

Anyway, I've lost around a stone since the last time I flew with easyJet so they should be happy!

Well I think it's only a matter of time before tickets are priced based on your weight. I'm amazed Ryanair don't do it already! Given that we have to pay per excess kg of baggage, it seems unfair that someone who's 27 stone should fly for the same price as me. It'd be a great incentive for me to lose weight I reckon Toofy Grin

I totally agree with you.
It's bonkers that my (heavy) jacket flies for free if I wear it, can go in my hand luggage for free as long as it still fits within "the box" but uses extra fuel and hence needs paying for if it goes in my hold luggge. rolling eyes
snow report
vetski wrote:
Fruity, why not make the sprog travel wearing lots of clothes? Michelin munchkin? Toofy Grin

Am liking this.
latest report
The lady on the Air Canada desk in Vancouver the other week was being very "official".

After looking at the number of bags we had (only 6 - and there were four of us, which at 2 bags each is two under the maximum), she deemed it very important to tell use that the limit per bag was 23kg. So she made us move stuff out of the heaviest bag into the lighter bags: she seemed disapointed that we could actually do this!

I did point out that one the way out we'd weighed each bag to ensure each came within the limits, but to do so on the way back was impractical, but nevertheless the total weight was way (weigh??) under the allowance, so what is the real problem??? Under health+safety (ha!!) they will accept bags up to 32kg, so why is 1 bag at 28kg evil yet two bags at 20kg fine??

[I could be cruel and suggest the check-in staff are on a bonus for spotting over-weight bags, but would I do such a thing... Puzzled .]
ski holidays
RobW, several airlines have changed their maximum weight acceptance, so not all will accept 32kg, and even those that still do are trying to phase it out (without necessarily making it explicit that they're doing this) - maybe that's what AC was up to?
ski holidays
Spyderman wrote:
I stand on the scales, weigh myself, then stand on scales holding bag. subtract one from the other = weight of bag.
My Taylor scales are pretty acurate

If I step om my scale I have to do it pretty slowly and calmly , if someone puts a bag in my hands...
I fear the scale might just explode and so this wont'work
snow conditions
we book ski gear and a trunk when we book the tickets,
skis in bags are free of charge ... otherwise we have excess weight because we carry between 6 and 10 pair of skis/person, except for me I only use one pair Very Happy
we have special trolleys that take max 35 kg each
and the there is the IRON trunk a flight case that always is too heavy but doesn't fit on the belt and cann't be weighed, but it's on our booking !!!
and the I say : about the trunk the content has to go through a security scan !!!
beg your pardon... security scan ??
so they forget to weigh the trunk and the skis and then I get to follow the guy who picks up the oversided gear with the "i can come everywhere card" and off we go to airport security

I open the trunk and start unpacking - skiboots for an ordinary Xray- scan, batteries, electronics and radio gear, they check it
and then comes out the maintenance stuff the wax, the irons, the screwdrivers the files the knives and the non gas lighter and then security guy goes haywire,
he freaks out and calls his supperior in for assistance so after my full explanation the trunk gets loaded again and I can go and do my taxfree shopping
I just love to see these guys eyes when I get out the wax...

In L (a rather warm country, with military doing the security this is rather difficult) I had to give them the number for the national skifederation president because they wanted to arrest me as bomber the fact that I had flown in with the stuff 2 weeks earlier convinced them to give the guy a call to confirm my story that teh skywax was and not semtex or something...

I love airports
Skullie
snow report
Some people do seem to make their lives difficult, no?
ski holidays
RobW wrote:
so why is 1 bag at 28kg evil yet two bags at 20kg fine??

It's the old standby - 'elf and safety. Luggage handlers can move each of your 20Kg bags separately, but they might do their backs in throwing your 28Kg luggage on the truck...
snow report
TallTone, It can't be h&s, as if you are going business (or pay excess baggage) they allow your bags to be up to 32kg "which cannot be exceeded"
ski holidays
However, I work in the courier industry and KNOW that H&S rules stipulate the max per 'consignment' is 32kgs.....(infact, British midland will take 1 piece upto 45kgs!!!!) ... not 23kgs! The same baggage handlers are lifting courier boxes of all shapes and sizes (usually without handles) up to this maximum weight.....so whats wrong with luggage - which comes conveniently designed with handles to facilitate easy lifting and handling Evil or Very Mad This new 23kg rule is daft.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy