Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Chamonix Grand Montets

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Going to Verbier for last two weeks of March, thought we might have a side trip out to Chamonix, I haven't skied there yet.

What is the black down from the top of Grand Monets like, is it similar to sking the Verbier interniary down from Col de Gentianes to Tortin ??. It would good to know as we have a slight mixed group of skiers.

The other question is. if you are only going to spend the day in Chamonix where would you go?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Grand Montets would be my choice for a day trip. Its been a few years but I don't remember the run being tougher than the Verbier itinerary.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Grands Montets has my vote, although Brevent/Flegere is not far off as it is originally two resorts now linked by a cable car.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Vallee Blanche - with a guide. Grand Montets if VB is closed.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Le Tour is the closest to Verbier, which you can access via Vallorcine. but GM is definitely the best ski-ing and best snow.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Went to La Tour for a day trip from Verbier.
Very easy to do if you have a car. Park at Vallorine and get the gondola.

the skiing was dull though....flat, wide open, dull dull dull.

I am sure there is some decent off piste/trees but snow conditions were against that for that day, and in any case we went to meet up with some gaper friends who get nervous if you stary 6" off the marked piste.

Had a nice enough day, but wouldn't go back unless we hooked up with a local who knew where to find the good stuff.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
The driving distance from Verbier to Chamonix is about 37 miles. 25 miles of which is the mountain pass which takes about a hour driving leisurely. There are altogther about 10 hairpin bends so don't rush them.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Does the mountain road (Col de la Forclaz?) close if there is heavy snowfall?
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
halfhand, only if VERY heavy snow. I have never known it closed for more than a morning after a major dump.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
halfhand, yes it does, sometimes, so thunderer, would need to check before setting off (edit, it's true, rungsp, they normally clear it pretty fast)

I'd say VB (with a guide) if it looks good and is open, otherwise GM. I don't know Verbier but if conditions are good the black from the top is fine if you're generally happy wth big steep blacks.
If it's icy maybe send the stronger skiers up first to scout it out. Beware of the front though (La Face) as that can really be very nasty if it's hard.

If they don't fancy the top it's plenty big enough without it.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I would prefer the Grand Montets every time if you are looking for a consistently reasonably demanding skiing day.

The VB is a unique but generally very straightforward scenic trip. There are some steeper variations at the top but they do not last long. Furthermore by the time you get all the way down from the VB whether you ski down or take the train you are probably talking about at least half a day if not more depending on the ability of your group.

In the same time you could get several decent runs down the Grand Montets and if you hire a guide for the Grand Montets, although you do not have to if you stick to the pistes, there are a number of extra options available on the glacier.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Aslo if anyone is unsure of it then they don't have to go all the way to the top. They can have a coffee and meet you where the red run (Hotel) starts and go back to the bottom with you.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
thunderer,

The 'black' of the top of GM is a bit more that a usual black, IMV... it will be a bit steep and chopped up most likely as you head down towards to crevasses and ceracs... you can cut over and hug the ridge when you know where you a re supposed to go...!!

The whole point of the GM is that you chose any line you can handle....

When you go to get your pass...decide there and then if you want to take the top station supplement and if you are adventurous, you will want to do this...
Also, at this time, take a 'booking' on the top station CC as you may not be able to get on the CC ad hoc later, especially on a busy day...
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
There's also a beautiful scenic railiway from Martigny to Chamonix, via Vallorcine, Argentiere etc, which is a nice travel option from Verbier.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I never knew it was so easy to get to Verbier by train! Thanks stephen buck, I agree, it's a lovely line.

http://myswissalps.fileburst.com/maps/vs_rail_s1590x1090_en.jpg
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy