Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

What Resort would you choose to live in?

Poster: A snowHead
I would plan on learning the language already have a little German and am planning on working on improving that over the next few months. Work in the legal side of investments. To be honest the rat race does not suit me and money is not a motivator here looking for a return to the simple life I grew up with.

You know the one where you are just glad to be feed have a roof over the head and good company. Zurich looks like being the main start and will try to inch out of the rat race from there maybe down to Alndermatt. Grew up in the rolling hill around a major city and just sick of being a drone! To the mountains Very Happy
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
minx, I wouldn't worry too much the deputy director of the ESF here is a Yorkshire lad and he's never lost his Yorkshire accent after more than 20 years, the only resort I'd want live in is where we've bought our chalet - La Rosiere. Some of the friendlest people I've met anywhere and we never lose our amazement at the beauty of the area both in winter and summer. Unfortunately my wife has another 4 years before she finishes her PhD so there's no chance of moving permanately in the near future.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
If France, probably Chamonix, at least there's things to do in the Summer, close to Geneva for a bit of civilisation.
Wouldn't mind living in Fernie for the winter months, I'd go crazy in the summer though.
Like all of these resorts, great for a holiday, but living there, very different story.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Briancon, - this is without having been there! My reasons are that it sounds like a proper little town not too far from the bright lights and with access to fabulous skiing and great scenery and sports winter and summer.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Hullite, Briancon is a fair way from anywhere else.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
We would love to up sticks permanantely. However I don't really know where to start. Think a trip around is the best start looking at the towns etc. And some more t'internet research.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
minx wrote:
Frosty and Ordhan,
Anyone fancy a really good English hairdresser moving near them Very Happy

Funny that - my lovely hairdresser spent years doing season in the mountains and cutting people's hair... he's doing really well and now has his own salon in a trendy bit of London but always looks really wistful when he talks about his youth...
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
rjs, True, but not as far away (in time travelling) as Val d'Isere where I have a sale & leaseback apartment that makes my heart sing but would have no desire to live all year round.

As others have posted living in any ski resort full time doesn't really appeal to me. The people I really envy are those living in Milan or Turin only 1hr from fabulous skiing but in an Italian city with all that has to offer by way of culture, top class sport and neighbourhoods where there are more than three surnames between 3000 people.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Hullite wrote:
Briancon, - this is without having been there! My reasons are that it sounds like a proper little town not too far from the bright lights and with access to fabulous skiing and great scenery and sports winter and summer.

I love the Brianconnais district with Serre che, Briancon, Claree Valley, Montgenevre and Argeintere le Blesse.

Mountains obviousl

skiing - Montgenevre, Puy st.Vincent, risoul, vars and at a push Les 2 Alpes, Valloire, Val cenis and Alpe d'Huez. Also all of the Milky way with Sestriere, Sauze d'Oulx, Bardoneccia and San Sicario.

train links to Paris 4 hours 30 by TGV from 20miles away in Oulx, Italy.

Mountain Biking

Rafting/Kayaking

Castles

Some of the best scenery in Europe IMHO being the Ecrins National park.

Great food - tartiflette, morrocan and indian restaurant in old town and of course the rest of the mountain delicacies.

Great walking

spa baths in Monetier Les Bains

briancon isnt deserted at any point of the year as its a town. this is a problem with a lot of ski resorts.

Lovely culture, people and langauge. I'd love to improve my French

1 hour 30 minutes to a big shopping mall and airport in Turin.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Somewhere near Brides les Bains..... 3V on the doorstep, La Plagne (via Champagny), 15 mins, Valmorel 20 mins, Les Arcs 30 mins, Espace Killy 45 mins.... perfect.... somewhere like Villarlurin Very Happy
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
rjs, why do you need to be near another town or city?

Turin is 1 hour 30
and
Grenoble is 2 hours
and
Lyon is 3 hours

Thats just like living in somewhere like Penzance or Truro location.

also I forgot to mention good snow record.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
We have done it. Considered the dolomites, also Courmayeur and settled on Chamonix. Reluctant at first but turned out to be the best move. Even to live there do not underestimate accessibility if you still come back to UK to work, also, the French are more like us and, in Chamonix there is little language barrier but you can still be as "savoie" as you'd like. Chamonix is a town which means it as good to live here as any other town. It is an all year town with climbing, skiing, cycling and walking to last a lifetime. We initially thought we'd get bored and then found out that there's always another season around the corner.

If I had another choice on simlar criteria I would choose Vevey on lac leman.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Lausanne or Vancouver for me.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I was going for Bourg St Maurice, but Kramer's late Vancouver has thrown me now...
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Vancouver does score highly as a place to live.

http://www.economist.com/markets/rankings/displaystory.cfm?story_id=8908454&CFID=16415879&CFTOKEN=94552766

Zurich comes out well too.
snow conditions
Fascinating thread in that so many of you have chosen not to 'Live in Resort' but rather somewhere in a relatively close Metropolis. Interestingly when I am in France I can 'commute' to the local ski resorts ... but I find it a PITA to do it more than 3 or 4 times ... and weekend accomodation is invariably unobtainable.

My choice would be Zermatt or L2A of those I've seeen so far ... basis for either would be extended skiing season . Truth being I probably wouldnt chose to live in a ski resort year around anyway ..
snow report
My aunt and uncle live in Vancouver. They get bears in the garden!
snow report
Quote:
They get bears in the garden!

Rules Vancouver out for me. Shocked
snow conditions
geetee wrote:
Vancouver does score highly as a place to live.

http://www.economist.com/markets/rankings/displaystory.cfm?story_id=8908454&CFID=16415879&CFTOKEN=94552766

Zurich comes out well too.

Zurich normally comes out much better than that, good to see Vienna in 3rd place. Vancouver, Zurich, Geneva and Vienna normally take the top few places.

http://www.citymayors.com/features/quality_survey.html
snow conditions
Mensturation brings bears! Toofy Grin Well according to Ron Burgandy and if Ron burgandy says it its the truth. Thanks for the feedback everyone I am burning up google looking at the suggestions
ski holidays
Global centres such as New York, Tokyo, London, Hong Kong and Paris may find themselves let down precisely because of their size and attractiveness. Traffic congestion and higher crime rates associated with large urban centres have, to some extent, offset the obvious cultural gains of living in such locations. This has also been compounded by fears that large centres like London and New York will remain targets for high-profile terror attacks. Despite this, most major centres do not present any significant challenges to liveability...

never forget to factor in just how really rather boring the average local populance of these so called dream cities of vancouver, sydney, toronto et el are..
ski holidays
CANV CANVINGTON, so everyone who lives in Vancouver is boring, all the people in London are thoroughly fascinating individuals? Er, I think not.
snow conditions
I would rather live in/near Whistler but would settle for Vancouver.
snow report
Not a ski resort but Malcesine, Lake Garda, Italy. Its got Monte Balde for small scale skiing but close to Dolomites and Alps not too far away.
snow report
Lizzard, no the ex pat u.k types in vancouver are throughly intresting
latest report
Bourg St Maurice is dead at night other than some restaurants. I tried to buy our guide a bottle of a nice single malt there but couldn't even find a blend. Though someone said perhaps in the supermarket on the opposite edge of town...

Briancon I've only visited for a couple of hours but the old town is a World Heritage Site. and quite spectacular.
snow report
CANV CANVINGTON wrote:
Lizzard, no the ex pat u.k types in vancouver are throughly intresting

Fair comment though I think we could all admit they would be a lot more interesting if they had not left London in the first place.

As for the original question:-

Living in a ski resort may appeal if you are totally obsessed with skiing but for recreational skiers it may have less appeal.

Living next to golf courses does not appeal... and you could play golf every single day of the year

No allowance is made for age when you might not be so mobile. Proximity to services and family would be more important. Difficult terrain would not be much fun if you were hobbling around with a walking stick and a bockety leg.
latest report
snowball wrote:
Bourg St Maurice is dead at night other than some restaurants.

I;m not big on night life, normally, but we seemd to enjoy the first EOSB there. SOme very nice restaurants, and if I wanted something so badly I could probalby get PG to get one his drivers to pick it up for me Smile
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:
What Resort would you choose to live in?

None.

I guess finally Latchigo said it. Not all of us are obsessed with skiing.

When I go on a skiing holiday, I'd like to ski as much as I can so nightlift/cultural life isn't a priority. But if I'm living in a small village year round, the lack of vibrant (and varied) cultural life can be a serious negative.

Living in a big city, I've entertained many visitors who came to "do the town" for a week, much the same way I snowheads go on skiing holidays! Smile It rather illustrates the trade-off between living in city vs. living in resorts.

For me, I'm satisfied with 20-30 days of skiing each season. Plus all the city fun I get to have.
ski holidays
If I wasn't so happy living in Bude I'd go back to living in the Dolomites...so beautiful and a fabulous place to be all year round.
snow report
laundryman wrote:
I'm happy living where I do; I've no desire to live a ski resort - I think I'd tire of it.

Having had the good fortune to live in the Yorkshire Dales (and so close to the Lake District) for over 20 years I can assure you that I don't tire of living in beautiful places!

Yes, to LDA for all the reasons that Achilles mentioned ...plus the glacier of course.

Ordhan wrote:
Mensturation brings bears! Toofy Grin Well according to Ron Burgandy and if Ron burgandy says it its the truth.

Bears with sore heads ? ... yep, that can happen anywhere.
ski holidays
abc wrote:

None. For me, I'm satisfied with 20-30 days of skiing each season. Plus all the city fun I get to have.

Agree! Mind you a 2nd home would be nice.. Somwhere near enough, but not too near. Vevey suggestion is good, or Montreux... maybe Kufstein in the Tirol - hey ho...

Definitely Austria or Switzerland for me, I always feel surrounded by kindred spirits - not sure if that's good or bad wink

I wouldn't want to live actually in a 'Resort', ski or otherwise. All the punters would soon start to annoy
latest report
red 27 wrote:
abc wrote:

None. For me, I'm satisfied with 20-30 days of skiing each season. Plus all the city fun I get to have.

Agree! Mind you a 2nd home would be nice.. Somwhere near enough, but not too near. Vevey suggestion is good, or Montreux... maybe Kufstein in the Tirol - hey ho...

Definitely Austria or Switzerland for me, I always feel surrounded by kindred spirits - not sure if that's good or bad wink

I wouldn't want to live actually in a 'Resort', ski or otherwise. All the punters would soon start to annoy

second homes have a major implication on the areas local economy and hosuing market.
snow report
Denver, although it's not strictly a resort. Otherwise Vancouver, we've sort of got a loose plan to move there at some point. Have you seen the house prices though, on a par with UK.
snow report
Christopher wrote:
second homes have a major implication on the areas local economy and hosuing market.

Yes I once moved to a quaint Derbyshire village so that hill walking and mountain biking would be one my door step. Rented a house that was too big really but I couldn't find anything smaller. After the intial few weeks when the celebrity factor of the locals wanting to know who I was etc wore off they made it clear I was an outsider. My neighbour who was a longer term resident explained that local familes were crammed up in small houses while outsiders bought up larger properties often leaving them empty. Even smaller properties were bought up by outsiders and the demand pushed up the prices forcing the locals out. The overall effect was that money from outsiders split up the community.
snow conditions
Christopher, A good or bad 'impliction'? If bad I guess you've reconciled that moral issue personally judging by your dual location tag wink
ski holidays
red 27, well actually the dual location tag is a fabrication of the truth. Unfortunatly I dont own a second home in the alps Evil or Very Mad

But people should take into consideration of the environment and local economy, culture etc in ski resorts. So us British can lose our ignorant tag.

Locals often find it hard to get onto the property ladder as prices are pushed up.

When your appartment isnt being occupied in the months of May, June, October and November the local economy is hardly thriving because of your investment. Although it is argued without they'd all still be peasants or living in the city.

Yes Im a hypocrit and would buy a property in a ski resort.
latest report
Christopher wrote:
red 27, Unfortunatly I dont own a second home in the alps Evil or Very Mad

So us British can lose our ignorant tag.

Yes Im a hypocrit and would buy a property in a ski resort.

er... right... nuff said really.... rolling eyes

I like the "in the Alps" rider - can I presume you have more than one property in that fair city of Dreaming Spires and Screaming Tyres?

No 'moral' difference between being a landlord in the UK or in the Alps or anywhere else really...
ski holidays
red 27 wrote:
I like the "in the Alps" rider - can I presume you have more than one property in that fair city of Dreaming Spires and Screaming Tyres?

Slightly difficult considering my tender age.
snow report
Christopher, fair enough... snowHead
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy