Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

The best skiing is found during bad weather conditions.

Is the best skiing found during bad weather?
Yes, I love skiing when noone else does.
47%
 47%  [ 32 ]
I will ski in bad weather, but only because I only get six days a year.
42%
 42%  [ 29 ]
Are you mad? In bad weather I curl up in front of a roaring log fire and wait it out.
4%
 4%  [ 3 ]
I have more sense, and better things to be doing when the weather is bad.
5%
 5%  [ 4 ]
Voted : 57
Total Votes : 68

Poster: A snowHead
Yes, David, spring snow is luxury. Blizzards are more a case of "well, I've only got x days of skiing: I'm going to to find something good about blizzards, damn it!" I must confess, though, that I do, perversely, enjoy skiing porridge (Soupe, to the French)
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Blizzards- forget it. Stay back at the chalet, build snowmen, build igloos, snowball fight (preferably outside), couple of beers and some party games.

Last yr, 1 blizzard day, 20 skied and 4 took morning off. 12 were back by 11am of which 2 were injured enough not to ski again for the remainiing 2 days (both knees). 4 back by 1pm. Other 4 came in buzzing at 5pm having had the biggest hoot of the holiday.

We worked it out that to enjoy those conditions you need lots of the following:
Fitness, Ability, Bottle. 2 out of the 3 did not suffice.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Kramer, the only place you'll find me in a blizzard is the nearest bar/restuarant.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Count me in with the "I love blizzards" group. Empty slopes, fresh snow, great fun.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I've edited my first post to add a poll. We'll settle this dillemma once and for all. All snowheads must abide by the majority vote?
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
David@traxvax, I should know with the amount of weeks I have under my belt, and I'm sure I've skied on it and very much enjoyed it, but what is ('scuse my ignorance)"spring snow?"
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Kramer, that's not unusual hereabouts! snowHead
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Ken, spring snow is old snow that has melted and then refrozen . The snow crystals become ice flakes almost, when you ski it, your skis just sink through the crust and the ice crystals slide beneath your skis. Skiing on ball-bearings is probably the most appropriate similie,. Spring snow is found towards the end of the season usually, on south facing slopes after an overnight freeze. So an early start is essential because by lunchtime the slope is usually too slushy, that means that all the tracks disappear and you can go at again next morning, provided it's frozen. You will usually find spring snow on an avalanche prone slope, below the avalnche barriers in verbier is a great location.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Intense blizzards in hard driving winds, where you cope not just with falling snow, but also spindrift snow coming at you in tiny icy shards, are very unpleasant things IMO. I wonder if we are talking about the same thing? I am grateful that I have rarely been caught in them. Part of mountain experience, but I certainly would not deliberately go out in one.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Spring snow comes from repeated partial melting and refreezing. Each time the crystals get fewer and bigger. Early in the morning they will be all hard and stuck together in a crust. Then they melt apart near the surface but are on a firm, frozen base and are wonderfull to ski (this is spring snow). Then later still the depth and degree of melt becomes too much and you get a heavy snow. Off piste in particular, where the effect is more pronounced, the window for the best spring snow is quite narrow and the timing will vary with different orientations. A good guide will lead you from slope to slope getting the right moment on each.
Sun heated off-piste slopes on warm days should not be skied in the afternoon, since the upper crust of snow will lose its cohesion and may be undermined by free water, causing wet-avalanche danger. (Wet avalanches move slower than powder avalanches but are more deadly if they catch you).
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowball,
Quote:

Then later still the depth and degree of melt becomes too much and you get a heavy snow

You missed out the bit 'and then the boarders come down and churn it up so the following day is worthless as it is frozen gouges rather than a smooth surface' Evil or Very Mad
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
T Bar, but to be totally fair, skiers are just as much to blame.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
ise, partly true but boarders are a bit more capable of skiing the heavier snow so probably do it more. As a skier I feel it is my duty to blame a boarder for every misfortune that befalls me Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
T Bar, not just a duty, an obgligation
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
David@traxvax, you comments on spring snow absolutely right. But if there's no wind and it's dropping 50cm an hour, ooooh, I get quite excited. Sorry if I'm sad that way, but what else is Gore-tex for?

One lesson learned luckily from good experience i.e., I had awesome days, others didn't he he he... (as long as its safe) - it's always best to check out the conditions on hill and retire gracefully than bail in advance and hear just how good it was; for everyone else.
snow report
David Murdoch, you've probably hit the nail on the head there, it's just plain exciting when it's snowing, if I can get out in it I just have to Very Happy
snow conditions
David, couldn't agree more, I can recall debating with a friend whether we should ski one more run on spring snow. It was in Verbier and we had to trek for 45 mins to get below the avalanche barriers. We decided not to, we'd done it twice that morning, it was getting late and the sun was warm. 20 mins later it avalanced exactly where we'd been skiing
latest report
David@traxvax, ha ha... after freeriders and jibbers... the new big thing is,yes, Blizzard Perverts!

Way to go... but as an earlier poster says, the moment the storm clears is just a fantastic time to be on the mountain!
snowHead snowHead snowHead snowHead Cool snowHead snowHead snowHead snowHead
snow conditions
Well, so far, the Blizzard Perverts seem to be winning the vote.

Spring snow is great if you can find it, but usually means skiing with someone who knows the resort extremely well.

As for the definition of a blizzard, I guess what I mean is a snowstorm, and generally in a sheltered area below the treeline. I think that what David Murdoch says is correct, you have to force yourself to go and try it when the weather is bad, because otherwise you might end up missing out on a great days skiing.
snow report
The more the better.

The harder the more enjoyable.

My favorite days skiing are when all you have to do is make sure to avoid the trees--there's snow everywhere else.

I love jumping on the lift and seeing my tracks filling in on the ride up.

Tomorrow?! When's the next blizzard??!
snow report
Kramer wrote:
As for the definition of a blizzard, I guess what I mean is a snowstorm, and generally in a sheltered area below the treeline.

That's not the correct definition. What you describe just sounds like a good snowfall. A Blizzard is snow accompanied by strong winds I think gale force is the grade required (can anyone verify this?). Apart from the possibility of good snow to ski on, it will not be pleasant (or safe?) to be out in.
snow report
A quick trawl through the web gives a consensus of wind speeds over 35mph though one site said as low as 40kph, along with temperatures below 10F (-12C). Of course many of these sites copy from the same source and none of them was English - by that definition England almost never suffers blizzards (not cold enough). Many sites said the storm should last at least 3 of 4 hours to qualify. One site pointed out you don't need falling snow - wind blow will do.
snow conditions
Thanks for the spring snow definition, I know exactly what you mean, and yes its fantastic.
ski holidays
Pete Horn, I will change the title of the thread then. Instead of "The best skiing can be found during blizzard conditions", I shall change it to "the best skiing conditions can be found in bad weather"
snow conditions
Sorry Kramer I was just being my usual pedant self - I meant it tongue in cheek, & you didn't have to go changing titles. I should've put a few smileys in Embarassed

Anyway, language & word definitions end up being what is used by the majority of the people. In England we'll keep on calling minor snow storms blizzards because we don't have the right range of words to fill in the gaps. And anyway it sounds a lot more impressive. wink
snow conditions
"Meaning is use" (Witgenstein)
snow report
Pete Horn, no offence taken, more a pedantic response to a pedantic suggestion. Very Happy
latest report
David@traxvax, I agree with what you say about spring or corn snow. It's just gorgeous to ski on, and not so busy at that time of year. I've had some fantastic spring snow high up in the Portes du Soleil.

But I still love skiing when the snow is falling heavily, not a blizzard, which I call snow being blown horizontal by very strong winds. Off piste in the trees above the Ardent (again in the Portes du Soleil) is just perfect for those conditions. I think that's where the term 'snow bunny' comes from!

This was the day after a blizzard last Christmas

[Moderator's note - sorry, converted this lovely picture into a link. We have an unwritten policy (must publish it someday Embarassed ) of embedded pictures only appearing in 'Après Zone' & 'Buy, Sell, Exchange'. Also at 38KB it slows the download condsiderably for those on slow connections.]
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Well, pedantry aside, I thought 'Blizzard Pervert' was such a great term I've changed my signature ...

... got a much better ring to it than 'Heavy Snow Pervert' (although 'Powder Pervert' isn't too bad ...)
snow conditions
Rachel, I know that run, down past Le Village des Chevres to the gondola at Ardent. Looks fantastic.
snow conditions
Legal Steve wrote:
Well, pedantry aside, I thought 'Blizzard Pervert' was such a great term I've changed my signature ...

Just don't type it into google. I just did, it returned one entry, a site probably run by "Illegal Steve". Shock
snow conditions
Laundryman are you sure you didn't type Buzzard Pervert?
latest report
Don't tempt me! Laughing
snow conditions
Yes David, that's the one. Specially good if you start from the very top looking down at Avoriaz, stop for a vin chaud with grand marnier at the Pomme de Pins at Lindarets while waiting for everyone to go back down the mountain for their tea, and then ski the second half to the bottom with no one else around. Bliss!
ski holidays
I agree that you should try and ski near or within the trees during a snowstorm. I remember last year trying to ski down the top of 7th heaven on Blackcomb mountain (at Whistler) which is devoid of trees. I must have been skiing about 1mph but it felt like more since the snow blowing across the ground made it look like I was moving much more quickly. Shocked
It's very disconcerting if you don't know if you're moving or stationary!

On the same bit of the run, I only managed to avoid skiing into 2 massive people-sized moguls when someone skied behind them and popped out the other side. Shocked Smile

I've also skied in a blizzards at Val d'Isere where you try and ski down a run that slopes down not only forwards but down to the side of the run too...except you don't know the run slopes off to the slide because you can't see and you can't figure out why your skiing is so lopsided! snowHead

In a second blizzard (which was more of an ice-storm) at Val d'Isere last year our group decided to make our way back up the gondola, 50 metres away uphill. We slogged for ages, skis balanced on shoulders, climbing this steep hill with the sides of our faces getting blasted by ice...which was nice! Madeye-Smiley
latest report
One skiers bad weather, is another skiers great day snowHead
snow report
Quote:

Well, so far, the Blizzard Perverts seem to be winning the vote.

Hmmm, not necessarily, Kramer. Although it's got the highest percentage so far, you could lump the other three answers together in a kind of "No" vote - leaving the Nay's outvoting the Yea's by 52% to 48%.
snow report
I once had a lesson in a blizzard. I fell over whilst stood still. unbeknown to me I was moving slowly and was totaly unprepared for a movement however slight. VERY strange experience
snow report
Am I getting the feeling that alot of people who are commenting on the plus side for bad weather seem to actually prefer skiing in nicer weather just after the bad weather?
ski holidays
Legal Steve, are you a lawyer by any chance? Loopholes a speciality? Smile

Mark Lehto, I'm not so sure, you can't get the "freshtracks every run" feeling when it stops snowing. The first run when the weather clears is sublime, but for the continued excitement of excellent powder conditions, I prefer the bad weather.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy