Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

ski sock sizing for kids (confuddled)

Poster: A snowHead
Hello and happy Monday!

Got most of our ski stuff at Freeport yesterday but failed to find a suitable set of ski socks for the boys (aged 4) because the sizing confused me, now I've found it again online: "Universal boys' sizing: 12 - 3." Bearing in mind the boys shoe sizes are 9 and 11 respectively, what does 12-3 mean? Anyone know?

Thanks in advance,

Mirjam
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
It presumably means kids' size 12 to adult size 3. Perhaps the next size down would be better, but I doubt that it matters that much. Our kids skied with all sorts of ill fitting sockage on their feet, no problem.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Thanks Richmond. I suppose I'm a bit worried because ill fitting sockage (LOL) has been the cause of much pain for me in the past.... But I've ordered them these socks now, it seems that is the smallest size you can get. Thanks!

Mirjam
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Mirjam, they could probably wear their ordinary socks without any problem.

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Mon 3-03-08 12:59; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Mirjam, you should be fine...if theyre anything like my son's socks, they'll be long tube socks without obvious toe/heel. He is in a shoe size 1 and wearing the socks we bought him 3 yrs ago! Your smallest (shoe size 9) may struggle and find the socks too large - take his normal socks in that case -but the shoe size 11 will be fine... if you have time to visit M&S, its worth buying some long socks for the smallest boy.

You're much more organised than me. We got our stuff out of the loft at the weekend; have lost Hubby's best gloves, cant find my hat and I still have to tackle the 'what to wear off slopes' pile.. (I work full time and we fly out Gatwick Saturday and need to be there at 4am) I think Thursday and Friday are going to be hell.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Mirjam

I finally managed to get some tiny socks for my 3 & 4 year olds having searched the planet. A small independent outdoors shop that sells everything from brownie uniforms to ski's. They are size 6-9 tube socks (kids are size 5 and 8 respectively). I think the next problem will be getting ski boots small enough for the 3 yr old!
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Fruity wrote:
Mirjam, you should be fine...if theyre anything like my son's socks, they'll be long tube socks without obvious toe/heel. He is in a shoe size 1 and wearing the socks we bought him 3 yrs ago! Your smallest (shoe size 9) may struggle and find the socks too large - take his normal socks in that case -but the shoe size 11 will be fine... if you have time to visit M&S, its worth buying some long socks for the smallest boy.

You're much more organised than me. We got our stuff out of the loft at the weekend; have lost Hubby's best gloves, cant find my hat and I still have to tackle the 'what to wear off slopes' pile.. (I work full time and we fly out Gatwick Saturday and need to be there at 4am) I think Thursday and Friday are going to be hell.

Hello NO NO NO do it online! I work full-time as well and have just completed the missing gaps in our overall kit, all on www.outdoormania.co.uk I have no shares in them and no allegiance and am not an expert but they have all the Tresspass stuff (I like Tresspass cos it's affordable and good) and lots of other stuff, they deliver all for £4.95 and pretty much the next day if you order before 2pm. I've not received mine yet but it is a fab site, also does kids stuff.

Good luck with your packing and thanks for the tips on the socks.... will see if long socks work for smallest one.

Mirjam
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Skimummy wrote:
Mirjam

I finally managed to get some tiny socks for my 3 & 4 year olds having searched the planet. A small independent outdoors shop that sells everything from brownie uniforms to ski's. They are size 6-9 tube socks (kids are size 5 and 8 respectively). I think the next problem will be getting ski boots small enough for the 3 yr old!

Following the socks issue I'm now worried about ski boots too. But as he is size 9 and age 4 (though very small) and we are going with Esprit who have a special class for 3-4 year olds and an affiliated ski hire shop, I'm going to NOT fret and feel confident that they deal with this size child all the time. Confused

Mirjam
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Mirjam

Size 9 shouldn't be a problem - My now 4 year old had the smallest pair of boots we could find last year when he was a size 7. Couldn't get small ski socks in France to go with the boots though so he skied in normal socks but as it was only for an hour here and there he was fine. French kids are tiny so I'm hoping someone will stock a size 5 boot (although it must be in pink or 3 yr old won't wear it Laughing )
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Mirjam, our kids were only just 4 when they first skied, and boots were not a problem. Don't worry; if they're 4 and this is their first hol, they're unlikely to be doing stuff for which perfectly fitted boots are essential.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
richmond, Depends where you go!!!!! we went to Italy and they had my 3 yr old on the t bar and skiing down the nursery slope...mind u, he is (was) a natural and won the slalom on the last day....Mr Confident... he did a black with his dad on the last holiday...leaves me for dead. Turned 8 last week...... Shocked Shocked
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Mirjam, probably a bit late for the socks, but I've found a good website for little ones. Struggled to find wellies small enough for pielette, (following in her dad's odd foot status already Shocked ), but www.littletrekkers.com has loads of warm, outdoor stuff for small ones, including socks size 6-12 (and for pielette, wellies in child size 3).

Or alternatively, Falke do proper ski socks for kids, rather than just 'a tube'. Shoe size 7 upwards, www.socksfox.co.uk.

Last edited by And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports. on Mon 3-03-08 22:49; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Fruity, yes, but doing that doesn't require perfectly fitted boots, is my point.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
We got some proper kids ski socks (NOT tubes) from Sundown Sports last year when junior was 5 and in about a size 12 shoe. See http://www.sundownsports.co.uk/SocksPerformaxBlackGrey.htm
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
richmond, They still get blisters though......although how you get a 4 yr old to tell you if their boots fit properly is still a mystery. My son hated the sensation of his first pair of ski boots. Luckily now, he understands that they dont feel quite like a pair of trainers!!! Laughing
snow report
£9 for kids socks....mmmmm. We're not made of money Rob!!!!! And at the rate children's feet grow, I think we'll stick with tubes for now.
snow report
Fruity, I'm sure we didn't pay that much then! But he does use them week-in, week-out on the plastic slope as well, so I think we get good value in terms of pence per minute skiing.

Quote:
although how you get a 4 yr old to tell you if their boots fit properly is still a mystery.

The first few pairs of boots we had for junior has a clear toepiece to the liner (Head??): quite easy to see if the boot was getting too small!
latest report
Hi all, thanks for all this advice! I'm going to have to reply quickly as I'm running low on time but will definitely check out some of these links tomorrow. Thanks so much!

Mirjam
snow conditions
Quote:

£9 for kids socks....mmmmm

I agree, but well fitting socks can be such an important factor in comfort. I think decent padding over the shins can make such a difference in the early days. My future sister-in-law almost gave up completely by day 3, until I lent her a decent pair. If you've shelled out on a holiday, surely the last thing you want are the kids being put off skiing for life because of blisters, sore shins or cold feet. Money well spent IMHO. (mind you, wouldn't only get them 1 or 2 pairs; clothes peg required for the way home NehNeh )
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy