Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Paris rail transfer time to allow

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Sorry -know the thread has been done before but rubbish at searching!
How long does it take to go from where the Eurostar comes in (Paris Nord) to Gare de Lyon and how long to Austerlitz? - by both cab or metro?

I will have no luggage but am worried about if a train is delayed whether I have time to do the transfer.

Most likely option I've been offered is the eurostar that gets in at 10.56 and then a TGV that leaves at 11.58

Isnt that cutting it a bit fine? How long is the minimum for a safe transfer do you think.
If I get a basic non flexible ticket what happens if I miss a connection?
Would snowheads go train or metro? (no luggage and on a Sat on the way out and Sun on the way back)

I dont think I want to do the overnight as time is not of the essence this trip.

Thanks
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
jayne, I'd allow about 40 mins for the RER from Gares Nord to Lyon, plus any time you want to prepare at Lyon before your train departs. From memory, the train itself is less than 10 mins.

Train operators can be helpful if you miss a connection (it worked for me the other way around, when a TGV into Paris was delayed and Eurostar changed the ticket), but I don't think they have any obligation. Obviously they can only help if the train isn't sold out.

I'd be inclined to take a risk on a one hour transfer, and check if your travel insurance will cover a replacement ticket.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
jayne durham, No luggage - RER line D, 9 minutes to Gare du Lyon. www.ratp.fr gives you journey times. If missed connection caused by Eurostar, they'll put you on the next TGV. Very Happy If caused by you - buy another ticket Embarassed
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
thanks a lot - sounds as if 1 hour should be fine
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
ski,

That is good to know.

jayne durham,

The trains get in on time...and if the don't, ski has given you the answer.

I think 50 mins is fine for Gare du Nord to Gare du Lyon but unless you have ticket all ready for RER, I would plump for the cab.
Be quick off the train at Gare du Nord as these people will only add to the taxi queue.... so off the train and taxi rank is off to the right...
Don't worry about 30 odd people in front of you as this will disappear in around 10 mins normally, then it is off down to the Bastille and then Gare du Lyon in 10 mins. I haven't tried flagging a cab down as we have always gotten through ok but some suggest getting a coffee over the road and getting them to call a cab...Laughing. Normally I would expect to be at Gare du Lyon within 30 mins of getting off the Eur0star.

Coming back from Gare du Lyon it is a bit harder to find the Taxi rank but there are less people waiting there, IME.
Cab fare should be less than 10 eu each way

I did this about 4 weeks ago..

oh..and if you are really stuck, I think a brisk walk would breeze it as well...
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Thanks JT
After I'd said an hour sounded ok I realised that its probably fine when you have done it before... but things like having no idea how to get a taxi - or a metro ticket - or which platform etc are all issues the first time you do them.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
jayne durham, I think you can buy metro tickets from UK Eurostar stations (but I could be wrong). There are plenty of RATP ticket machines at Gare du Nord, with an English interface. The RER line is quite a walk from the Eurostar tho' ... RATP.FR does have a journey planner (english ? I can't remember).

With 50 mins, you'll have plenty of time to do it, but the easiest (if your French isn't great) is probably the taxi. Be prepared to run when you get off the Eurostar, to get to the front of the queue.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
For Gare d'Austerlitz you need the Metro (Line 5, 9 stops).
For Gare de Lyon you use RER (Line D, 2 stops or Line B, 1stop -> Line A, 1stop).

When you come off the Eurostar platform, turn left and drop down one level when you see an escalator/stairs going in your direction. Keep on going and directly ahead of you is the entrance to Line 5. Go left there and 150m ahead of you is the entrance to the RER lines.

The official journey time to Gare de Lyon is 10 or 11 minutes. Trains go about once every 15 mins (I think, maybe more often). It's about a 3-4 minute walk from the Eurostar to the RER and similar at the other end from the RER to the Grand Lignes.
Overall (and having done it) I'd say about 30 mins is the norm esp. without luggage. So you have about 30 minutes margin for error.
Eurostar boast that 94% of their trains were on time over the past year - I wonder how late the other 6% were?
Personally, I've never rolled into Gare du Nord over 10 minutes behind schedule.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
thanks to all
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
jayne durham,

At Gare du Lyon.. be watchful of the platforms for TGV.... there will be a huge info board for the trains with the platform designated.
IIRCC, trains to the alpes can be off to the left and over, if that makes sense, so when you look at the rows of trains in front, you may really struggle for your platform as they might not be racked up in a line like at say, Waterloo.
I think the ones in front of the board are low number platforms, like 10,11,etc, so, you might be looking hard for your platform number. It is not hard to work out tho', just that when you might be conscious of the time, you don't need this...

There are another set of platforms away on the left to be aware of, that's all I am saying .... you'll probably need 5 mins at Gare de Lyon to get your bearings,
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
> Trains go about once every 15 mins

they are more frequent. You should be able to go train to train in 30 minutes but you would need to get a ticket from the machines rather than queue up. If you miss the TGV just get on the next one down without asking then either sit in one of the flip down unallocated seats or ask the inspector for a free seat if there is one. They won't normally charge extra if you have a valid ticket. SNCF have got very stingy about refunds and ticket changes for missed trains.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy