Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

2 Strokes & You're Out

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
A fascinating article on hybrid skiing or sled-skiing. Using a ski-doo to get out into the back country areas for off piste skiing in British Coumbia. See this from skimag.com
Quote:
Some call it sled-skiing; others, hybrid skiing. Whatever the label, using snowmobiles to access powder is going off. To have a Yamaha, Arctic Cat, or Polaris dangling from your trailer hitch in Canada today is to be in possession of the ski accessory of the moment. The movement, however, is decidedly proletarian: North of Whistler—so off-the-map it’s easier accessed in winter via a 35-mile snowmobile route than by asphalt—ski bums are buying ramshackle Victorians in the for- gotten mining town of Bralorne, cruising down the snowy main drag each morning, and heading into the bush to score untapped lines on lonesome peaks. In the yawning ranges of central British Columbia, where the mountains are scribbled with logging roads, roughneck Revelstoke has a strong core of sled-skiers. And for $200, a commercial sled-ski outfit in Valemount will haul you up to fresh tracks all day in the same mountain ranges where heli-ski outfits charge $800.
There are good photos in the slide show at the bottom of the article. And if all this has whetted your appetite, cooking tips too
Quote:
At the bottom, Macdougall has unhinged the cowling of his Skidoo and opened a package of chicken sausages, which he’s barbecuing on his muffler. “Beaks and assholes, probably,” he says, handing them out.

“You’ve eaten worse, eh, Joe?”

“Can’t say I’ve eaten better.”
But it's not all good news ......
Quote:
The only cloud in the sky is a cumulus of two-stroke oil that hovers over the parking lot.
Why do they use these stinky 2 strokes (once described as science's biggest blunder - it just should not work). Why can't cleaner burning 4 strokes be used on snowmobiles ?? Any other comments, snowHeads
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
kuwait_ian wrote:
Why do they use these stinky 2 strokes (once described as science's biggest blunder - it just should not work). Why can't cleaner burning 4 strokes be used on snowmobiles ?? Any other comments, snowHeads

As a result of environmental pressures, the manufacturers of snowmobiles are starting to offer cleaner and quieter 4 stroke versions. I guess 2 strokes were originally used because of engine cost and power to weight ratio considerations. Although Yellowstone National Park has had its planned ban on Winter use of Snowmobiles in the Park legally overturned, at least it is able to insist that all Snowmobiles entering are 4 stroke. However, these are still noisy and locally polluting. I can see the attraction of snowmobiling (having tried it once in Livigno on the old 2 stroke machines) - its just a pity that current available battery or fuel cell technology doesn't allow a practical electric version Sad If it were that would be the ideal solution snowHead
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
An alternative engine has been around for some time, although not entirely free from noise and pollution. It's called DOG. wink
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Erm......Fraid I have to but in here....
4 strokes are not more Environmentally freindly than 2 strokes but they are more politically friendly rolling eyes

CC to CC 2 strokes are far more efficient than 4 strokes, not to mention Quieter, cheaper to build, less components..... do you want me to continue Toofy Grin

The noise issue is a big problem now with Bikes, MX bikes were predominently 2stroke until political pressure was applied. they were not quiet but it is a high pitched noise which doesnt carry that far.
Now with 4 stroke "Thumpers" the noise is much deeper and carries for miles, therefore more people hear it and then complain about it, venue gets shut down....

As For Sled Skiing, its next on the to do list after this season in the alps. We were in Whistler a couple of years ago and had sorted out some contacts up in Pemberton that would take us out for the day.
Will go back next year and do it for sure Madeye-Smiley
Check out "Sacred Ride" on the extreme sports channel

Cheers Dom "Boarder by winter.......Engine designer by Summer" Shocked
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
A variation on the theme. Sno-Cats provide the mechanical uplift in a commercial operation. At a sedate 9mph. See this artice from seattlepi.com
Quote:
Some novice Sno-Cat skiers, however, are a little disappointed until they settle into the experience. Runs are often brief, usually less than 2,000 vertical feet. (Drop much lower and the return trip uphill, in a Sno-Cat that moves at 9 mph, could take all day.) A typical Sno-Cat day includes only about nine runs and 12,000 feet of skiing, which a hard-charging skier can post before lunch at Vail.

Then there's the transportation. Sitting in a cab bolted to a Sno-Cat's back as the machine growls and lurches uphill on roads of packed snow can make for a rough ride. Sometimes, when the vehicle is jostling and the windows are fogged and you lose the horizon and a whiff of diesel exhaust finds your nostrils, you feel that your breakfast may make a return appearance. On my first Sno-Cat trip several years ago, before I learned to stake out a window seat, I took Dramamine.

Now, I almost look forward to the rides uphill. The cab of a Sno-Cat is a movable barstool. Crammed shoulder-to-shoulder for up to a half-hour at a time, skiers bond quickly. Stories are swapped.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
More on sled-skiing from Vail in this article from Rocky Mountain News
Quote:
For former World Cup ski racer Mike Brown, snowmobiling and skiing go together like freshies and fat boards. But for snowmobile mechanic Marshall Ringler, the two sports mix like oil and water.

Surprise, surprise: Two people, two opinions of one of the most divisive issues in the world of backcountry snow sports. Ask another dozen people, and you'll probably get a dozen different opinions of a sport alternately referred to as snowmobile skiing, sled skiing or snomo-skiing.

Some tips on this controversial use of snowmobiles at the end of the article and Proper Etiquette
Quote:
• Don't ride your snowmobile onto a slope someone is skiing or riding on, even if you think it's stable. The extra weight of your machine could trigger a slide.

• Respect other user groups, including commercial operations, and Forest Service use designations prohibiting motorized access. Never snowmobile in a wilderness area.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
cr500dom - I thought the problem with 2 stroke emissions was that they were far worse than 4 strokes and therefore not as enviromentally friendly. Not only do they burn oil as well as petrol but due to the design of ports, the exhausts were open at the same time as the inlets during the intake/compression stroke and allowed unburnt fuel to flow straight out. Due to the burn oil in this exhaust gas they were unable to use cat convertors to help clean it up.
I remember a company by the name of orbit, who had high hopes of using a 2 stroke motor designed to run a sealed lube system and fuel injection to control lost intake gases. Any ideas what happended with that design?.
Bimota, an italian bike maker also produced a 2 stroke, initialy with fuel injection, but couldn't get it working right and ended up having to recall the bikes to fit carbs and as a result messing up the emissions again.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy