Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Portes Du Soleil Piste map online with names on it?

Poster: A snowHead
I've search google and found loads of piste maps for the PDS region, but none with piste names on them. There's loads of reports on here that refer to specific pistes. Are there any up to date online maps with names on?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
For PDS, you'll generally find that there's 1 overview PDS map that has no names and is missing a lot of pistes. Then each area with PdS has its own local map with more runs and all the lifts/pistes marked.
Les Gets/Morzine/Avoriaz all have usable fully labelled maps online, available from their website afaik. Not looked at Chatel or the Swiss side so much.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
tomstickland, here's one for starters........

http://www.lesgets.com/fileadmin/fichiers/PDF/Hiver/PlanPistesLGM_Hiv_2008.jpg
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Nice one. I did try via "portes du soleil" but all they had was an interactive zoom map of the whole area. Like much of the internet, somethimes a simple task seems a lot more bother than you'd expect.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
The interactive map on the Avoriaz web site is reasonably accurate.

Any particular pistes you want pointing at?
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Others may disagree but to me PDS is actually a region and not a resort as such that every piste run is shown.

A booklet titled "Guide de la glisse" I got shows 5 areas which exclude St Juan d'Aulps and L'Essert.

The Link by Lou shows only the French bit of Les Gets and Morzine and doesn't have even Avoriaz on it. That is just one of the 5 areas of PDS!

It is possible that many areas and resorts are owned by different companies each competing for punters and one doesn't get a full map of the whole of PDS unless one asks for the ski pass and so can demand a full booklet to go with it.

PDS isn't very well linked but I suppose skiers/boarders with a good knowledge of the transport systems of both the French and Swiss sides can cover a good part of it in a day.

The PDS booklet classifies

Massif 1 - Les Gets and Morzine (one link to Massif 2 Avoriaz by a short bus)
Massif 2 - Avoriaz (2 Links to Swiss side Massif 5, one link to Massif 1 Morzine and one summit to Massif 3 Chatel)
Massif 3 - Linga and Superchate (one link to Massif 4 and one link to Massif 2)
Massif 4 - Morgins, Torhon and La Chapelle d'Abondance ( one link to Massif 3 and one link to Massif 5)
Massif 5 - Champery, Les Crosets, Champoussin and Morgins ( 3 links to Massif 2 and one link to Massif 4)
Two areas of St Juan d'Aulps and L'Essert. are not classifed.

The total piste runs is 650km. I believe Les Gets, Morzine, Avoriaz, Chatel, La Chapelle d'Abondance, St Juan d'Aulps and L'Essert are French while the rest are Swiss areas. The Swiss side is quieter, with less investment (more drag lifts), smaller and more difficult to get to from Generva

Thus if one want a full PDS ski map one has to down load all the above.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
saikee, I think we all know that PDS is a region, tomstickland included, thank you. I wouldn't expect Avoriaz to be on a Les Gets/Morzine piste map. Like I said, I was just starting off with a link to help tomstickland.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Lou,

Sorry if I tread on your toes. Wasn't my intention.

PDS does have a problem of not selling the whole region and many skiers, including myself, do not know the extent of it after several visits. There appears to be some kind of rivalries or the cost of printing out the full PDS is prohibitive. Places like 3 Vallees, Milky Way, Zillertal Valley and Dolomites also do individual resorts piste maps but you do get a key map showing the entire domain.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
saikee, you are clearly going to the wrong ticket window. The PDS even now publishes and advertises a variety of versions of the Circuit for different ability levels. Full domain maps are freely available.

Not sure what you mean by "PDS isn't very well linked " - I know you have to take a bus across Chatel but other than that it's pretty integrated... Puzzled
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
David Murdoch, Quite agree, the area is fantastic with a huge amount of skiing to be had and very well linked and easy to get around. The general Avoriaz shows most of the area, if you then need something more detailed get a les gets, morzine, chatel map etc when your in their area -- it's not that difficult ..... is it ?? Confused
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
David Murdoch,

Definitely we are not going to the same ticket office. I found having to wait for a bus just to cross from Avoriaz to Morzine. And also your piste map must show St Juan d'Aulps and L'Essert can be accessed without a bus too..

This well link business is relatively speaking.

I would say the 600km of 3 Vallees , 425km of Paradiski and the 510km of Sella Ronda are well linked because I don't need to find a bus stop first and then which bus to get into to take me from one area to another.

SP1R1T,

If one wants a piste map of whole of PDS just ask for one at the office that sells ski pass. Not all of them stock it though.

Quote:
The general Avoriaz shows most of the area

Does it show the full 5 massif areas or rather how many massif areas does it show?
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
This is pretty good for the Swiss side:

http://ski.intermaps.ch/massif5/flash/index.swf?lang=fr

but the slope names don't always match up with the map that I've got.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
saikee, mate, you need a better lift map!

Admittedly you have to walk from the Super Morzine bubble to the Pleney bubble, but it's only 5 minutes. Similar walk to that across Les Gets. Never skied St Jean d'Aulps (although I hear it's great on a powder day) and have never heard of l'Essert (? - are you sure you're discussing the PDS). OK, Chapelle d'Abondance and SJD aren't really linked in at all - but everything else is pretty well integrated.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I did find this
http://www.chatel.com/ftpclient/pdf/planpisteschatel.pdf
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
saikee, I've found no problem obtaining the appropriate maps for the PDS, they are freely available in Morzine. There is one map covering the Les Gets/Morzine side and another covering the Avoriaz/Swiss side.

I don't quite understand why you would get a bus from Avoriaz to Morzine when you can ski to the Super Morzine bubble and get to Morzine that way. Puzzled

snowHead

Edit: Corrected lift from Pleney to Super Morzine.

Last edited by Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name: on Sun 2-03-08 23:30; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
In my PDS piste map L'Essert is a little area just above Abondance which is not the same as La Chappelle D'Abondance. I suppose people would refer this area as Abondance even though the PDS piste map shows L'Essert.

I believe Abondance, as reported by davidof here, is now closed as far as the downhill skiing is concerned.

I have done PDS in different trips but have not skied Abondance or St Juan d'Aulps. However if Abondance is linked or reasonably linked then there wouldn't have been a need to abandon downhill skiing there, I would have thought.

Sage,

I didn't know one can ski from Avoriaz to Morzine now, right across the town?

David Murdoch's 5 minutes walk is also out of date?

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Sun 2-03-08 22:26; edited 2 times in total
latest report
Quote:

I've found no problem obtaining the appropriate maps for the PDS, they are freely available in Morzine

...and widely available in Les Gets too
snow report
saikee, I would think you're right too! Never could quite see the point of Abondance claiming that it was in the PDS, when it quite clearly wasn't really.
snow report
David Murdoch,

There are many SH claiming able to ski all of PDS in one day. They may have a piste map different to us too.
snow conditions
AFIK Abondance closed due to financial problems, exacerbated by lack of snow, see here from June 2007

http://pistehors.com/news/ski/comments/0735-abondance-abandons-skiing
snow conditions
saikee wrote:,
Quote:

Sage,

I didn't know one can ski from Avoriaz to Morzine now, right across the town?

I didn't mean that. You ski to Super Morzine (sorry, got the wrong lift in my last post-now edited) and download into centre of Morzine. If you want to get to Les Gets side you walk for a few minutes to the lifts at Pleney -David Murdoch's estimate of 5 minutes is not too far off.

snowHead
latest report
tomstickland
I like this one: http://www.avoriaz.com/ski-holidays/snowsports/pistes-map.php

I read about Abondance the other day. I'll take a look when I'm there.
latest report
saikee, That was a great piste map (book), alas they stopped printing it and have done what the Superdolomiti have done and broken it down into 5 or 6 smaller regions. You can get them at the different areas lifts. I have not skied St. Jean D'Aulps and Abondance as there is enough everywhere else. Superdolomiti region also has to be bussed, but am going there in a couple of weeks. Hope I am fit enough!!!
snow conditions
Just as an update to what I've found. I've just saved these to my desktop to view...

PDS full map: http://www.thechaletexperience.com/assets/images/Maps/PDS_pistemap.jpg

Morzine/LG full map: http://www.thechaletexperience.com/assets/images/Maps/lesgets_pistemap.jpg

Morzine/LG full map: http://les-gets.skiset.com/station/images/plans/32.jpg

PDS lifts: http://www.digital-holidays.com/shared/img/resorts/Images/ResortImage/France/Avoriaz/Avoriaz_T_map.jpg
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy