Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Les Arc lifts

Poster: A snowHead
Hi,

Going to Les Arcs on 22nd March.

Liking to plan every detail of a holiday (an@l according to my wife wink ) I have been looking for a list of all the lifts with the type (drag / 4 man chair Etc), bottom & top heights, length and more importantly their speed (so kids don’t get too cold). Which are the fast lifts? Anyone help?

Looking at the best lift map I can find on the resort site, it looks like there are virtually no drag lifts. Is this the case?

http://www.lesarcs.com/IMG/jpg/plan_lesarcs08_copie.jpg

Steve
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
ringingmaster wrote:
it looks like there are virtually no drag lifts. Is this the case?

Yes, there are two 'proper' drag lifts I think, and a couple of little things serving nursery slopes. You can easily avoid the draglifts entirely.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
ringingmaster, I like your strategy. Toofy Grin Cool

Les Arcs Real Time Lifts Open
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
ringingmaster,

Info on every lift, with photos. How you are going to bore the ar*e of everyone Toofy Grin Razz

http://www.espace-arcadien.fr/remontees.html
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
yeah only 2 drags i can think of, the only one i use at the bottom of a black piste called deux tette can be avoided by crusing down the mont blanc blue run into 1600 then taking a chair out!
Altho there are very few drags most of the lifts are slow 3 or 4 seat chairs, with the bigger faster chairs attracting big ques!
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
thefatcontroller, Fantastic. Just the information that I need!!!

I have been called an@l for getting this type of info at this stage but it is the kids ( 5&8 ) first time skiing other than the snowdome, and I don’t want to put them off. Also, guess whose fault it will be if we are stuck on a 30 minute chair lift in a blizzard with cold kids, or some one way street that leads to a drag that the kids can’t manage. Toofy Grin

Steve

P.S. rob@rar, thanks for the info on skiarcs.com a while back. We booked with them.

Last edited by You'll need to Register first of course. on Sun 2-03-08 11:26; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
ringingmaster, hope you have a great trip.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
ringingmaster, No need to be embarassed, one can never have enough info on the ski lifts even if it on the basis of making sure the kids are happy wink Laughing
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
For die hard fans after surface drag lifts they should go to the Swiss side of Porte Du Soleil. They are going to be pretty disappointed by the modern Les Arcs.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Quote:
For die hard fans after surface drag lifts they should go to the Swiss side of Porte Du Soleil.

That'll be me then. I love dodgey drag lifts, especially the steep bits where they nearly yank you off your feet.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
tomstickland, Why doesn't that surprise me! Nutter!!! wink wink wink

Remember the evening we tried to kill ourselves in the Westfield. Good times Eh!
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Yes, I remember that well. Must have been 2002?

I've never fallen off a drag lift (ahem). Actually, I'm sure a lot of novice skiers have done this: I fell off the top of a 4 man chair lift at the top, slid on one ski and ended up under the big wheel where the cable goes round with one ski stuck vertically into the snow. They had to stop the lift.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Fast lifts in Les Arcs that I can remember at this time of night...

Vagere
Grizzli
Derby
Arcabulle
Marmottes
Bois de l'ours
That short one half way down the Aguille Rouge when your thighs have given way
Transarc, of course
Varet, sort of

The slow ones are the interminable ride from Pre St Esprit back to Arc2000/1950
That desperately slow one that goes over the snowP'Arc
Chantel - well, it does serve the nursery slopes

My manhood has never really recovered from the viscious drag that used to take you over the last steep slope over to the bowl in La Plagne. That ride broke more than my heart...
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

The slow ones are the interminable ride from Pre St Esprit back to Arc2000/1950

and the Comborcieres from the same place
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Martin Nicholas, Worth it though for the Comborcieres run Toofy Grin

mrsfatcontroller on Comborcieres in Jan. Great run. Knee and thighs hurt by the end, need a long sit down Cool
snow report
Thanks everyone. If the snow looks like that at Easter I will be very happy.
ski holidays
Where you staying ringingmaster? - we are in 1950, 22nd - 5th April.

Note you can also avoid the Pre St Esprit (15minutes almost to the second) by taking the free bus up to 1950 or 2000 - runs every 20 mins during the day, so if the Q is long it can honestly / statistically be quicker. Because it runs alongside / over the road up, it is fairly well protected from winds etc., and doesn't get too unpleasant - just boring...although we have seen animals in the off-piste , and it does go almost over the top of 1950 too, so that can be a diversion.

The actual Pre St E run is really good for novices, its a "ski tranquille" (or at least used to be) and has only one 50m section that could be considered moderately challenging for a 1st timer, so don't miss out if you are over that way just because of the lift.

Comborciere is the only way to get to Malgovert, so the longer it stays an unpopular lift, the better as far as I am concerned wink
ski holidays
thefatcontroller,

Wow - great site fatcontroller - wish I had seen before we went
snow report
kwakazx6r, A pleasure to show of my geekness Toofy Grin Laughing
snow conditions
JimW, We are staying in 1800 22nd March - 29th March. This is our first time skiing with the kids (5 & 7), so I don’t expect we will be venturing far, especially in the afternoon. I dont know how much progress I can reasonably expect the kids to make in a week. If they get adventurous enough we will head over that way. Thanks for the recommendation.

I am hoping that it will be OK for my wife and I to go off for the 2.5H while the kids are in lessons in the morning, and do some steeper stuff, although we did get a couple of days in Cham earlier on in the season, so I can't complain.

If anyone wants it, I have compiled a spreadsheet from the information on the site thefatcontroller recommended that allows you to sort by the overall time, including queuing time, and also look at the vertical climb rate in m/s. It makes some lifts look more interesting than others. I did say I was obsessive about this stuff. wink

Stephen.
ski holidays
ringingmaster,

Yes, there will be enough for the kids to do on the 1800 slopes in the afternoons. But always a good chance les adultes will make it over to 2000 in the mornings!

If you are happy to send spreadsheet over that would be great - ( and geeky...) I'll PM my email.
snow conditions
ringingmaster, I am in awe of the geekness and ashamed and my dropping down a rank Sad Laughing I'll PM you my e-mail address oh master
latest report
ringingmaster, Once you have exhausted the Les Arcs lifts you can move across to the La plagne lifts, full details on snowHead RG's site http://www.perso-laplagne.fr/Skilifts.htm
snow report
I too am going on the same date.

Does anyone know if it is still possible to ski down to the mid station of the funicular, the last time I went at Easter it was closed below 1600.

Would be nice to go to Bourg St Maurice for lunch.
latest report
This is a better map

http://www.paradiski.com/skiplan/skiplan.htm

I believe it's commonly known in the "Geek Circles" as interactive Shocked Shocked
ski holidays
thefatcontroller, many thanks for the link with RG's site -
I was very aware of his unoffical site for La Plagne, but this is even better in many ways, especially the fascinating section on off-piste skiing in the 1800-1600 area. I don't now whether you've read this or not, but it goes into great detail (including maps and photos) -
degree of difficulty
length
danger from avalanches (or not) .

It is divided into 4 subsections -
Aiguille Grive
Aiguille Rouge
Fond Blanc
Descents to Bourg St Maurice

For someone who likes exploring new areas (and I do!), but who is very aware of avalanche dangers, this site is ideal. It says if a guide is necessary or not, whether to consult the pisteurs before trying the pistes, etc etc.
Have a dictionary to hand just in case some of the words baffle you. It's well worth the effort! It's also a b***** good read...
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy