Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

PDS Portes Du Soleil skiing, based in Morgins.

Poster: A snowHead
I'm just looking for people's opinion and experiences regarding the Passportes area (Morzine etc).
I did the VTT mountain bike event in the summer and cycled Les Gets - Morzine - Avoriaz - Lindarets - Chatel - Torgons - Morgins and back round via Lindarets, Avoriaz and Morzine in the day.

I really liked the Swiss side round Morgins and Champery so I've booked a Chalet at Morgins for the week 8th-15th March. It's a really good price and right by the lifts. I'm hoping that the pistes round there are reasonably quiet so I can get maximum skiing done with minimum disruption. I'm also hoping to ski the whole area. I've heard that there's some sort of well known tour of the area.

The chalet provide ski guiding so I'm going to out with them for a few days too.

I read somewhere that the village of Chapel D'Abondance have decided to close their pistes because they've been losing money for 15 years. Can't find the link anymore.

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Sun 2-03-08 15:22; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
tomstickland, "Passportes"? Do you mean perhaps the "Portes du Soleil" ... wink

It's a great area. I think Morgins is rather pretty. Not necessarily the best location in the "Circuit" but very Swiss. Not convinced about the turnip fondue I had there once but if you like your neeps... You should have a great time.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
David Murdoch, A quick look, I thought he was on about a travel document thingy!!! Having sobered up a little, it could very well mean "Portes du Soleil".

tomstickland, A beautiful village IMO, especially looking at it comind down a run and seeing it nestled in the valley floor. You will do the circuit in both directions and will enjoy both. Have fun and let us know how you got on.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Quote:
"Passportes"? Do you mean perhaps the "Portes du Soleil" ...

Yes, that'll be the one. The mountain bike event is called the Passportes
http://www.passportesdusoleil.com/

Is there a guide to the circuit online anywhere?
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
tomstickland, I've just posted a write up on Champoussin that you might find of interest.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
tomstickland, aha, hadn't heard of that before. The "circuit" is fairly obvious...but there are "official" versions that are on the lift maps.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Good area. Loads of skiing, the links and circuit are very straightforward. As it happens the most unreliable bit is the run down to Morgins if you are coming form the Chatel side - probably easier to do it Morgins, Chatel, Torgon (if you can) then Superchatel and round to Avoriaz, Champery, Champossin. Personally I think you are in the wrong place - Champery is so much nicer but then I'm a biased Champery apartment owner! It's Abondance that have closed their area but it was quite isolated. Try "Y'eu tsale" for lunch one day at the bottom of the La Chaux lift or if at Lindarets La Chaudron at the village du Chevres.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Quote:

I read somewhere that the village of Chapel D'Abondance have decided to close their pistes because they've been losing money for 15 years. Can't find the link anymore.

Not quite - La Chapelle d'Abondance is actually investing heavily in lift infrastructure. The village of Abondance further down the valley has shut its lifts, but opened an excellent kids skiing/sledging fun area in the village centre.

It was a shame when they shut because they had a nice little ski area, but I guess if it is massively unprofitable why flog a dead horse, so to speak. Unfortunately they made the decision to shut last year (after a three year decision making process) and lots of lazy journalists picked up on it and wrote lots of "global warming forces resort to shut" type articles. The reality is, people holidaying in Abondance were quite happy to drive the 10 minutes to Chatel in order to access the full Portes du Soleil circuit so the village just wasn't getting enough punters.

Morgins is a lovely little village, and the skiing in the PDS is excellent. I would recommend getting your chalet guys to bring you over to Chatel to ski because the snow on the north facing slopes of Linga and Pre La Joux is just excellent at the moment and last time I was over in the Swiss side, the slopes were suffering a bit from their sunny south facing aspects. However, we have since had more snow, so it has probably all changed. Your chalet guides should make sure you get to the best slopes...

Have fun!
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Oh and circuit recommendations, I agree with pat51, get the lift up towards Super Chatel which misses out the non existent piste below and then you are off!
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Setting off tomorrow morning to drive to Chatel for our first visit to the portes du soleil area. Does anyone want to meet up Mon night? Where?

We are renting an appartment in Petit Chatel any info on bars/restaurants would be nice

snowHead too Pinky
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Hi, I'm in Morgins now, near the centre of town. Here all week and with a sociable group.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
tomstickland, keep us updated on what the score is with the PDS - hope you have a great week. Smile
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Well, I skied the Super-Chatel and Torgons areas today and it was in pretty good shape. There was enough in there to entertain me for a day of skiing (8 hours, with about 15 minutes of rest).
There were a few muddy patches and some slush by late afternoon, but first thing in the morning it was in great shape.
I'm off on a guided day tomorrow, no idea where we're going, but hope it's Avoriaz direction.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I'm back home and will start work on sorting the video out - I think it'll take me a while to edit; I've got loads of it and don't want more than 9 minutes by the end.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Back from week in Chatel. We had a nice time but the plentiful snow forcast did not materialize, except Mon night when we went to bed in a green village and woke up in winter wonderland- but all gone at resort level by the time we got back in the afternoon Sad

But all in all we had a reasonable time- went over to Avoriaz Fri, was definately the best day for us.

We did stop in Morgins on our way back from the hot spa at Val d'illiez- that was well worth a visit to sooth our sore muscles. Have resolved next time to spend some time pre-hols doing some leg exercises, we were so out of shape we only managed half a day most days
rolling eyes
snow conditions
I didn't do too badly then! I spent 9-4.30 skiing every day. The slush was hard work, but a quick rest normally allowed me to continue. One of the positive results of mountain biking up lots of hills.
My video will be uploaded soon.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy