Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Buy Boots or Not

Poster: A snowHead
Hi All,

I'm off (with wife and kids) to Alpe d'Huez in a couple of weeks, not been skiing for about 10 years but have well and truly re-caught the bug going to the X-Scape in MK.

I hope that this will now be the start of many more skiing holidays, have booked equipment hire through First Choice but wanted some advice as to whether or not I should look to buy my own ski boots. If so would I be better buying them in the UK or waiting to see where we get the hire gear from in ADH and seeing if they will do a discount as I won't be needing the boots? Also if I buy them in the UK I have the issue of transportation as we also have a 1 and 4 year old in tow.

Loving reading the posts on here, makes me all the more excited, especially the weather outlook thread!

Speak soon

Ed
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
reded78, buy your own boots? Yes, Yes, Yes.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
reded78, if you're hooked, get the boots: personally fitted boots will be much more comfortable and should improve your skiing by translating your movements more directly to the ski.

Probably best to buy (and try) in resort, so that any necessary adjustments can be made during the week.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Blimey you guys are quick.

I am soooooo excited and feel like a kid again. the pain from the boots though at MK brought back memories and thats after just 2 hours. So will definately consider. My main reason for being wary is actually getting them there / back what with all the other luggage we have with the kids.

Will have a look in the resort.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
reded78, ah well, that's skiing! snowHead
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Def buy. If buying in resort make sure that they only allow you to buy what is suitable; some resort shops will sell you anything just to shift stock. Do not see a pair that look cool and insist on them just because they look good, it would be pure chance that they would be the right pair. My last pair of boots took over two hours to choose and fit, so do not expect in and out in five minutes.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I had the same thoughts about buying boots a few months back. I bought them at ellis brigham MK and the bootfitters were very good. I've just got back from my first holiday with my own boots and I came to like them more and more every day I wore them. So my suggestion is treat yourself to some nice new boots Very Happy
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
reded78, defo buy... I enjoy my skiing so much more since getting my own boots. You might be late enough in the year for the sales to have started.

There is a boot fitter who posts on here called CEM who is based not too far from you I think. He seems to come very well recommended by other snowHead 's
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
reded78, i would definitely recommend getting your own boots, the cost is infinitely outweighed by the added comfort and improvement in skiing, both in terms of your confidence and actual performance. I had mine fitted in resort, so they could be altered immediately if it was needed. Must have tried on about 10 or 12 pairs, but was worth it in the end.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Hello - I've only been twice but the difference between the first time in rental boots and the second time in my own, fitted boots can't be put into words. Another vote for buy your own!

Mirjam
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
reded78, What everyone else said. BUY YOUR OWN! (and get them properly fitted). snowHead
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Buy your own. If you buy before you go you have to squeeze them in your luggage or pay extra for the sports equipment fee, usually c. £15. but that's another thread NehNeh

One friend bought boots in Bulgaria and had terible trouble cus his feet are a bit weird. I bought the first pair I tried on, and they're fine.

Another friend bought last week from Patrick in the Solomon shop in Whistler. He was excellent and encouraged them to go back during the holiday for slight tweeking.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
reded78, I am going skiing Sunday morning and also need new boots- I'm buying mine in resort, at a place recommended by snowheads, when I get there, so that any tweaking needed can be done over the week I'm there.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
reded78, I would only buy boots in resort because if you have any problems they can be sorted over night. Find out by asking locals who's the best boot fitter in town and then go to them, tell them the truth about your ability because a pair of boots that are to stiff will only hinder your progress.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
You're in Warwickshire, so close to one of the best boot-fitting places in the UK: Lockwoods on Rugby Road in Leamington Spa. CEM (mentioned earlier in the thread) used to work there, and trained all the guys there very well. If possible go midweek and ring in advance for an appointment - otherwise you'll have quite a wait.
snow report
RobW, I'd like to question whether CEM trained all the guys at Lockwoods as i'm sure would some of them.
snow conditions
Buy boots, the difference is amazing and make sure you get them fitted properly, mine were at least an hour being fitted and at the time couldn't understand the fuss, but 5 years on they are so comfortable and well worth the investment - as people say be honest about ability ................ enjoy !!!!!!!
ski holidays
reded78, yes - Leamington Spa is the place to be seen - probably in October - ish. Take some Pork Pie and bottles of stella - the rest is history !
snow report
I would second Lockwoods for boot fitting in the UK. Try to go when it's quiet and allow several hours. After fitting, try them out at the Snowdome for a couple of hours and take them back for adjustments if necessary. Whatever you do, don't leave it all to the last minute. The alternative is to get them fitted in resort, but that could be hit or miss depending on the individual shop and how busy they are. Either way it's not a 5 min job.
snow report
reded78, How many boots do Lockwoods sell or fit per year compared with a top fitter in any resort in the alp's? I'm sure the guy's there are superb at there job. But they can not fine tune like you can in resort.
snow conditions
I went skiing the first time a few weeks ago, first week hire boots - 2nd week bought my own - LOVELY!

So different - great time of year to buy them too Happy

Have fun
snow report
When my feet have stopped growing, Im going to invest in some boots. That is so I can have my own comfortable pair.
ski holidays
SMALLZOOKEEPER wrote:
RobW, I'd like to question whether CEM trained all the guys at Lockwoods as i'm sure would some of them.

Yeh, maybe "all" was slightly strong. Certainly CEM's (and other's Toofy Grin) knowledge was passed onto the guys at Lockwoods when he (and others Toofy Grin) were there.

skiingfool wrote:

How many boots do Lockwoods sell or fit per year compared with a top fitter in any resort in the alp's? I'm sure the guy's there are superb at there job. But they can not fine tune like you can in resort.

Lockwoods fit ski-boots all year round, and (from my observations) have 2-4 guys working on it full time. A shop in a resort is only open for (about) four months. So Lockwoods could well fit more boots per year than a shop in a resort in the alps. And they can certainly fine-tune for months or years after if needed: you aren't necessarily going back to the same resort the following year to have any issues resolved, whilst if Lockwoods is in the same county as you are, it's very easy to go back and have adjustments made.

Another problem with getting boots in a resort is that it is difficult (at least in the UK) to get personal recommendations of a good fitter in the resort you are going to: yes there are known good fitters in a few resorts, but certainly not all. A challenge: I'm off to Zermatt and Samoens later in March - please tell me a good boot fitter in both those resorts.
snow conditions
RobW, Shame we can't get one of the Lockwoods staff to comment here.
latest report
For people who only ski a week here and a week there, then the ONLY thing you should buy is boots. Properly fitting ski boots will improve you skiing, and let you have a lot more enjoyment. Rent skis, but buy boots. Buy boots in resort, as at least then you are dealing with people who fit boots all the time. You can also get adjustments done. I am sure you will find people based in the UK that have been 'well trained' but a true boot fitter has a lot of 'experience' as no two feet are the same, let alone 2 different peoples feet. Only time and experience can let someone fit your boot well. a bit long winded, sorry.
snow conditions
RobW, So you think that someone that works in the middle of England with no snow or any mountains is going to be better at fitting ski boots than someone that grew up in the mountains in a ski resort with snow every day do you?
latest report
Yes buy - either from somewhere like Lockwoods or Profeet, or in resort from a shop that others recommend (eg on this forum). Not from a UK high street shop/chain unless you have absolutely perfect feet or a high pain threshold.
ski holidays
skiingfool, Hmm i don't think it's a simple as that, however i have to state i believe the job of Bootfitter requires time in resort to fine tune ones skills. A good fitter in the UK could become better only spending time in resort where constant adjustments can be made thus enabling better judgement. I used to work at Lockwoods and at the end, the main reason i moved to resort was to fine tune my skills, i still am fine tuning my skills but wouldn't be able to, or would a thousand times more slowly away from the snow, out of resort. I have a team of 3 fitters that IMO are better than anyone in the UK. They have all worked with Professional skiers and make adjustments to almost every pair of boots they sell, beginners and right to the top. Each time they make a small mistake, the client comes straight back, the re-assess, re-evaluate and fix the problem, this is then stored in their memories and their perspective shifts. There on in they have learned, improved and are better prepared to spot the signs of similar problems. One thing that struck me in the UK was that if you fitted a boot well, precisely let's say. The client disappears on their holidays, but has a problem, lets say that requires a small stretch or a spot of rebalancing but it is not until the end of that holiday, that potentially has been ruined by the need for a stretch, that the client returns upset and on the odd occasion, due to the pain refuses to accept the boot will ever fit, then you are stuffed. Bootfitting has many levels but to get a boot comfortable and the foot stable is simple if some basic principals are observed, to go beyond this IMO can only be done in resort or by someone who has spent a good few years selling hundreds of boots in resort. That said, there are hundreds of people selling boots in ski resorts, many that have been doing so for years are now claiming to be bootfitters this is where the problems lay. During our recent selection for the Cham3s catalogue we selected the new Salomon Falcon 'Custom' shell (something you lot are going to be banging on about forever next winter), one of the guys on the committee mentioned the need for bootfitting the boot and i replied, "Don't worry we can all play at being bootfitters now." to which he replied "Humph, we are all bootfitters."
He knows nothing about plastics, as i then asked him, he knew nothing about different boot shapes, as i then asked him, he knew nothing about different liners, as i then asked him, he knew nothing about feet, as i then asked him, but was absolutely adamant he was a bootfitter and knew better than me because he skis really well. The rest of the day he just poked fun at me about my proposed boot selection claiming that "That may well sell in the UK but not here in Cham'." My store is 16 times smaller than his and sells twice as many boots. So, walk into his store next winter and go see a resort bootfitter.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
OK then, it looks like you have all managed to talk me into getting some boots, and based not only on the above comments but also getting the boots to ADH, could anyone here recommend a shop / fitter in ADH.

Off out shopping for the final bits for the family this afternoon, so have been using the other thread on here as a good knowledge base for the rest of our kit. God it seems like you need a lot of gear.

And holy of holies it even looks like there may be some more snow over the coming weeks.
ski holidays
skiingfool, Quite possibly yes. If you pick a shop at random then the chance of it having decent boot fitters is low. If you go somewhere recommended - whether in the UK or in resort - then you have a far better chance of walking out with boots that fit.

For UK-based skiers, then they will see visit lots of different resorts across Europe and further afield over a season. There is no way that anyone can identify a good bootfitter in every one of those resorts (some almost certainly won't have anyone). Hence for those UK-based skiers, my recommendation is to go for a UK-based bootfitter - yes you can find better in some resorts, but that's no good if you aren't going to one of those.
latest report
RobW, So on day one when you have a problem what do you do? get a flight back to the UK or do they come to you?
latest report
SMALLZOOKEEPER, I heard about this custom shell last month is it a shell that is moulded to your feet?
ski holidays
skiingfool, Yes, be patient. Cool
ski holidays
SMALLZOOKEEPER, We already have them in Austria Madeye-Smiley
ski holidays
skiingfool, So what was your previous post about? Laughing
ski holidays
SMALLZOOKEEPER, Just checking we are on the same wave length Little Angel
snow conditions
skiingfool, Mate, i posted stuff all day yesterday, so i clearly wasn't born then. We are certainly not on the same wavelength. Toofy Grin
snow report
SMALLZOOKEEPER, There I was wanting to be your friend But you have to be aggressive . I wonder If you are the same in real life and that's why you have so many posts Smile
ski holidays
skiingfool, Nice user name. wink
ski holidays
SMALLZOOKEEPER, Is that it Puzzled
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy