Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Checklist a week in advance - for kids and adults, what do you think?

Poster: A snowHead
Hello!

We're going to Courchevel next week with Esprit! Can't wait can't wait! We are going shopping this weekend as it's the first skiing holiday for the two 4 year old boys and one adult and it's been YEARS since I went so....

Have I missed out anything from this list of buy, beg, steal or borrow?

Boys:

Ski suit/salopettes/jacket
Good, warm walking boots
Hats
Mittens
warm socks (do they do special socks for kids?)
goggles
sunnies
fleecy tops as first underlayer
thermal thin second underlayers (vest/longjohns?)
sunblock
blisteze

We will rent helmets, ski boots and skis.

Us (adults):

Ski jacket/pants
Ski boots
Hats
Gloves
Ski socks
Goggles/Sunnies
Helmets
Thermal layers
Some fleecy tops
Good walking boots
Sunscreen

We will rent skis and poles.

What do you think?

Mirjam
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
hey - how come you get helmets and the kids don't? wink
with the sunscreen don't forget to get a high SPF lipbalm...
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Some knickers might be a good idea. Laughing
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Neck warmer of some sort/Buff Smile

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Fri 29-02-08 10:46; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
a good backpack/hydration pack between you all for carrying bits and bobs
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Lou wrote:
Neck warmer of some sort/Buff Smile

Agreed, especially for the kids.

Have a great time!
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
sallywt wrote:
hey - how come you get helmets and the kids don't? wink
with the sunscreen don't forget to get a high SPF lipbalm...

We are renting helmets for them as they will have bigger heads next year so it seems a more sensible option. snowHead Thanks for the tip on high SPF lipbalm, I hadn't thought of that!

Mirjam
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Lizzard wrote:
Some knickers might be a good idea. Laughing

Knickers!!!! Shocked My grandmother has knitted me sensible long woolly underpants.

Mirjam
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Thanks Lizzard and Rob, I'll have a look for that, think a simple scarf may be too fiddly then. We're off to a Trespass outlet so I'm sure they'll have something like that? By the way Rob, am I right thinking you are quite local there? Is it doom & gloom snow wise in Courchevel at the mo? I've seen some depressing posts on here....?

Mirjam
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
sallywt wrote:
a good backpack/hydration pack between you all for carrying bits and bobs

Check! Smile

Mirjam
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Mirjam, sorry, not skied there for about three weeks. But speaking to a friend last night who said on piste conditions are generally good.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Oh good, we're all beginners or post-beginner so we should be okay then. Happy Thanks Rob.

Mirjam
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Mirjam, This old thread may be of help if not it's quite amusing wink
click here
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
We make 2 clothes people on the floor when we pack, one for the piste, one for apres ski. That way if there's a gap you know what's missing, then we layer them up on the 'ski person' to check we have enough base layers, socks etc.

Sad I know but I'm sick of forgetting stuff.

(Off to read the old thread to amuse myself during lunch.)
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Passport, ticket (better still e-ticket code) and credit card is all that's needed. I can't be bothered with lists. I pack the night before and just picture the body from the feet to the head as I go. Mostly works with the odd missing item occasionally, which is easily acquired in resort.
snow report
laundryman wrote:
Passport, ticket (better still e-ticket code) and credit card is all that's needed. I can't be bothered with lists. I pack the night before and just picture the body from the feet to the head as I go. Mostly works with the odd missing item occasionally, which is easily acquired in resort.

With the soubriquet 'Laundryman' . . . can you have any relevance in this thread wink
snow conditions
boredsurfin wrote:
click here

I was just about to add the link Laughing Laughing Laughing

I wonder where John Hill is these days ?
snow report
Mirjam, If you can, take two pairs of gloves for the children, you'll have one pair drying off whilst one pair in use Smile
Came back from La Tania on Sunday, there was a great base and although it was a bit slushy lower down there's still enough snow on the pistes. snowHead

Have fun
snow conditions
Quote:

We are renting helmets for them as they will have bigger heads next year so it seems a more sensible option.

Mirjam, don't forget that children's heads don't grow as fast as the rest of the rest of the body. If you are planning to ski regularly it might be worth looking at buying their own (if you don't mind carting them). My two ski twice a year and so far they have had new helmets every three years and 13yr old head growth has now slowed down Very Happy
Also (without dragging up any 'helmet' issues here), it's good to know that the helmet hasn't had any whacks in the past.
ski holidays
Mirjam, as well as what Lou says, another problem with hired children's ski helmets is "little visitors".

Regarding salopettes+jackets or all-in ones, they are boys so all-in-ones probably a better solution for warmth (the equation is different for girls because of the difficulties getting undressed quickly enough to wee).
latest report
boredsurfin wrote:
click here

Ooh both amusing AND useful. Off to pack my avalance transceiver. Puzzled Very Happy

Mirjam
snow report
AllyK wrote:
We make 2 clothes people on the floor when we pack, one for the piste, one for apres ski. That way if there's a gap you know what's missing, then we layer them up on the 'ski person' to check we have enough base layers, socks etc.

No no no no I'm already resisting the urge to get totally anally retentive about packing and I will NOT succumb to this masterful idea.

Mirjam
snow report
laundryman wrote:

Before kids I always travelled like that. Now I've had to grow up. rolling eyes

Mirjam
ski holidays
martyngb wrote:
Mirjam, If you can, take two pairs of gloves for the children, you'll have one pair drying off whilst one pair in use Smile
Came back from La Tania on Sunday, there was a great base and although it was a bit slushy lower down there's still enough snow on the pistes. snowHead

Have fun

Thanks and that's a good tip, will make sure we bring two pairs. I hope snow will be good, especially on the nursery slopes (which I think are usually lower down?) which is where we will be pitching up our beginner's tent. Very Happy

Mirjam
snow report
Lou wrote:
Quote:

We are renting helmets for them as they will have bigger heads next year so it seems a more sensible option.

Mirjam, don't forget that children's heads don't grow as fast as the rest of the rest of the body. If you are planning to ski regularly it might be worth looking at buying their own (if you don't mind carting them). My two ski twice a year and so far they have had new helmets every three years and 13yr old head growth has now slowed down Very Happy
Also (without dragging up any 'helmet' issues here), it's good to know that the helmet hasn't had any whacks in the past.

Hmm I'd noticed in passing that helmets seems to be a sensitive issue on here, but hadn't realised there was also an issue with used helmets!!! So at the risk of dragging the issue up, what is so bad about a helmet that's had a whack? Isn't that what they are for? Or are they like car seats, once whacked less effective?

I'm nearly convinced to get them helmets anyway whilst we haemmorrhage from our wallets at Trespass this weekend, especially after the 'little visitors' warning. Shocked Thanks,

Mirjam

Last edited by Ski the Net with snowHeads on Fri 29-02-08 14:07; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
Nick L wrote:
Mirjam, as well as what Lou says, another problem with hired children's ski helmets is "little visitors".

Regarding salopettes+jackets or all-in ones, they are boys so all-in-ones probably a better solution for warmth (the equation is different for girls because of the difficulties getting undressed quickly enough to wee).

Great news for one of the boys, who has an all-in-one, second hand but used once for a week. He is very excited because 'it is just like my spiderman suit'. Laughing The other one has jacket and salopettes. I think there's probably something to be said for both, my Spiderman may have issues when he's off to do a no. 2..... rolling eyes

Mirjam
snow report
We are off with Esprit on Sunday to Peisey, and I am totally stressed about the packing (as always) We went with Esprit twice last year and were obviously impressed enough to book again. You might want to make sure you have a small bag for each of the kids to take to snowclub for spare clothes, suncream etc. Not for taking out, but to leave in the childcare room.
Our kids are 18months and nearly 4. I have bought Salomon ski socks in kids sizes for the 4 year old, they seem to be big but go right up to her knees without looking wrinkled round the toe/heel, got them in TK Maxx.
Can't think of anything major skiwear wise that you haven't thought of. I think there is a list on Esprit's website...

TAKING THE CHILDREN
The following hints should help those of you taking small children on a ski holiday.
Useful Items:
Favourite toys and comforters
Any special baby-milk; British products may not be readily available
Favourite food items such as cereals and rusks
Bottles and feeding cups
Disposable nappies
Reins for extra security for children in highchairs
Portable listening device with plug adaptor if necessary
Calpol
Appropriate clothing – see below
Sun protection – see below
The children will receive a 25th anniversary Esprit rucksack in resort for their daily clothes and possessions
Clothing
All children, even those who are too young to ski, will need warm outdoor clothing; several thin layers act as better insulators than one thick one. Children should have a snowsuit or ski jacket and salopettes/trousers, hat, gloves/mittens, thick socks and boots. Indoor shoes or slippers are needed in chalets. For children in Esprit child care it is important to have the child’s name on all items of clothing.
Sun Protection
Every child (including babies) need sunglasses/ski goggles, sun block (minimum Factor 30) and sun blocking lip salve. For children in ski school/Snow Club the sun block and lip salve should be small enough to fit into the pocket of ski clothing and should be clearly named.
latest report
tizzyb, bloody hell thank god my kids are teenagers.. all they bring is 'attitude'
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Mirjam, apart from the safety aspects of using rented helmets you'll have to take into account all the lice ridden, greasy, flaky, dirty mops that have been in them .. urggh !

Kids helmets can be bought for about £30, buy one on the generous side, without being loose - they usually come with differnet thickness paddings. My son is about to use his for the third year running, next year might be time for a new one but for now it still fits fine. Maybe kids heads don't grow so quickly, or mayhe my son is just not getting his 5 a day.

So for £10 a year, prob about the same as rental cost, the only disadvantage is having to carry them. He also likes building up his collection of stickers on it.
ski holidays
CANV CANVINGTON, The infant always uses up most of the luggage allowance despite not getting any of their own!
ski holidays
tizzyb, you can put them in your hand baggage, you know! wink
ski holidays
[quote="tizzyb"]We are off with Esprit on Sunday to Peisey, and I am totally stressed about the packing (as always)

Oh gawd that's just made me stressed out as well! Shocked Laughing Thanks though, and have fun!

Mirjam
snow report
Mirjam wrote:

Hmm I'd noticed in passing that helmets seems to be a sensitive issue on here, but hadn't realised there was also an issue with used helmets!!! So at the risk of dragging the issue up, what is so bad about a helmet that's had a whack? Isn't that what they are for? Or are they like car seats, once whacked less effective?

Anything whihc is designed to protect from impact will be at least slightly less effective at doing so after the first time, but particularly things which rely on some sort of rigid foam for shock absorbtion (which most helmets do). It is the crushing of the foam that provide the (relatively) gentle deceleration to the object (head) being protected. Once crushed, the foam will not fully regain the origin structure.
snow report
Mirjam, sorry for making you stressed!!! At the end of the day you can alwasy buy anything you've forgotton! Happy
ski holidays
masmith,
Quote:

Kids helmets can be bought for about £30

or £7.99 when in stock at Lidl, worth keeping an eye out for.
ski holidays
Quote:

At the end of the day you can alwasy buy anything you've forgotton

Yep. You're going to France, not the moon, Mirjam. Have you booked lessons?

edit: just seen your other thread....

Last edited by You'll need to Register first of course. on Fri 29-02-08 16:28; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
don't forget a notebook and pen, so when you get there you can make a list of what to pack for the trip home
ski holidays
AllyK wrote:

Where is John Hill when you need him - and I thought I was bad having a list !!!! Shocked Shocked Shocked
snow conditions
Mirjam wrote:

I'm nearly convinced to get them helmets anyway whilst we haemmorrhage from our wallets at Trespass this weekend, especially after the 'little visitors' warning. Shocked Thanks,

Mirjam

As with mountain bike helmets, ski helmets are only designed to take one large impact. Some manufacturers offer a crash replacement discount for this reason. Although more debatable, most helmet manufacturers recommend replacing helmets every 3-5 years anyway as they are claimed to suffer from UV degradation etc i.e the plastics get more brittle. Personally I wouldn't trust a second hand helmet for both of those reasons.

It's also worth noting that a good fit is the most important factor when choosing a helmet. So it's best to try on as many as possible, preferably with the assistance of trained staff, to find the best possible fit. I've seen plenty of kids and adults wearing helmets that clearly do not fit properly, which makes them a waste of time and usually uncomfortable too.
latest report
Quote:

most helmet manufacturers recommend replacing helmets every 3-5 years anyway as they are claimed to suffer from UV degradation etc i.e the plastics get more brittle. Personally I wouldn't trust a second hand helmet for both of those reasons.

Just realised I've put my kids in danger whilst I thought I was protecting the little darlings by insisting they wore helmets Shocked Have finally splurged on new ones and hope they last for years. Wish I'd known they were available in Lidl for £7.99 Sad
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy