Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Obertauern, Austria

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Got back last weekend (23rd) after a week under mainly blue skies.

Snow was fine, particularly higher up. On the sunny side of Obertauern, it got a little bit slushy at resort level at the end of the day, but the shaded side (Gamsleiten/Zehnerkar side) was absolutely fine right through the day.

It could do with a refresher, but it was snowing as we left at 06:30 on the 23rd, so could well be better now.

S
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Just got back, (1st March) with a glorious sun tan! Snow was quite slushy after 1pm, but still lots of cover. Was so warm we could have skied in T shirts, +7 degrees during the day, and our water bottles on the balcony never froze at night. The piste bashers are doing an excellent job, and just as we were leaving, the snow started coming down, seems they are in for colder, windier conditions and more snow!

On another subject...I twisted my knee on the 4th day and took some time out, but whilst I was watching skiers coming down the Gamsleiten 1, I noticed someone on a what looked like a bike, with blades instead of wheels, and two short skis on each foot. Turns out they called Snowbikes. So we researched them on the hotel computer and sure enough you could hire them from one of the ski schools. You have to have a 2 hour lesson to use them, then you get a license that allows you to use them in every resort they are available, without further instruction. The Brenter Snowbike originates in Austria, and has spread worldwide, but there are other hybrids, sometimes called ski bikes or ski bobs. Well hubby and I took the 2 hour lesson and have never laughed so much in our lives. The best thing of all is that these things perform best in deep, slushy snow or fresh powder. There isn’t anywhere you can’t go with them and they are a godsend for anyone with a gammy leg or knee. So if you want to ski sitting down, and ski till the lifts shut on a hot, sunny day, when the snow has turned to slush, try them...you won’t be sorry! For more info, check out http://www.snowbike.us/ I will certainly be using one again when we return in 2009, so much easier for me than skiing, and so much fun Very Happy
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
sharon1953, i saw a few of those when i was out there.. they looked bloody scarey to me.. do you have any contol , are they easy to stop.. must admit i kept well clear of em.. wink
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
CANV CANVINGTON, very easy to balance as you have 4 points of contact with the snow - and skis on your feet that act as breaks if you stick your heel in! You use the same carving technique as skiing on steeper runs, but just turn the front and let the back slide on less steep runs, if the back slides too far, you turn into the skid rather like driving a car. You can use the same hocky stop as skiers do, and you have the added bonus of 4 edges to carve with on the turns. It's like riding a bike with two movable stabilisers, and the whole thing just floats over everything. On the straights you just sit tight and enjoy, but flat areas are hard work! I went down runs I would never have attemted on skis... I've been nervous of reds runs for 8 years, but I did as many slushy ones as I had the energy to do! So in answer to your question, I was in more control than most of the skiers and boarders I came across...but don't tell anyone, we like being given a wide birth!!!!
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Does anybody know when the season ends in Obertauren? IIRC last year the season ended in the 1st week of May but after a certain date it was limited opening only. I think only one side of the valley was open, Gamsleiten and Zehnerkarbahn. Does anyone know if this is the case this year as I'm looking at a possible long weekend in a couple of weeks time? snowHead
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Hywel, well the lift pass price lift goes up to 1st May, but it doesn't mention what lifts are open. Try the tourist office...I'd phone them as they are a bit slow with emails!
E-Mail: info@obertauern.com
Tel.: +43 (0)6456 / 7252
Fax.: +43 (0)6456 / 7252-9
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
As in the previous seasons, it is probable that only the Zehnerkar and Grünwaldkopf lifts are open from 21st April .
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Thanks I've got a feeling that it's too expensive to keep the whole area open until the end of the season, but having the use of only those 2 lifts would be very limiting - guess I'll e-mail the tourist offices
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Called the tourist office today - as kerekip said all lifts are open until April 20th then limited opening from April 21st for 2 weeks, depending on snow conditions. The lifts likely to open at that point are Gamsleiten 1 and 2 and Zehnerkar on one side of the valley and Grünwaldkopf on the other side of the valley.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy