Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Goggles and Glasses

Poster: A snowHead
Im after a pair of goggles to fit over my glasses. Im blind as a bat without me specs and never could get round the idea of poking bits of plastic onto my eyeballs Big Wink Big Wink

I have seen a few pairs but they were a bit pricey for my liking as i only get away once or twice a year. A mate did suggest simply wrapping my head in cling-film as a budget option, though breathing is also quite high on my priority list.....

Any suggestions?

Tom

ps Apologies if this topic has been done before... Feel free to abuse me and point me at the thread wink
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
cling film for me- try colouring it in with a selection of fiber tip pens- yellow for flat light- silver glitter pen for bright sun...
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I think oakley are missing a trick here...DIY goggles. For £5 you could get a roll of film and a selection of felt tips. Maybe even polarised film....
No, hang on...if they were oakley then theyd be at least £100
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
cross over to the clear side , it took me about four visits to the opticans before i was able to put in and remove contact lenses and they said I could have them (you cant have them unless you can take them out) , but worth it. Grin it and bear it , then ask them for a couple of two weekly set of conatcts for a trial , then go skiing with no hassles.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
RobCrock, I have tried contacts but that was a good few years back while i was at school. The optician wasnt too keen for me to have them at that age, but playing second row in the school rugby team kind of demanded them. Maybe now that im older (and wiser??) i might be able to make a better job of getting them in and out. are there now some that you can put in a leave for a while (week,month?)

t
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
TomTom,

I use dailies but the biggest plus these days with contacts is that you can get them with a 98% UV filter which has to be a good thing.

Can't advise about weeklies or monthlies.. my own view is that eyes like to breathe and I have known constant contact wearers have had to have an enforced break from wearing them. I am talking about years here tho'
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
TomTom, Try these http://www.twoseasons.co.uk/mall/productpage.cfm/TwoSeasons/_47853/120984/Mens%20Unlimited%20Otg%20Ac
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
TomTom, I find goggles over my glasses a problem - they really steam up, esp. if its warm. This year I went for contacts and goggles - when it was hot and sunny they still steamed up - though I think would be better in colder conditions. My solution for the last two years has been prescription sunnies - their what I resorted to this year again. Nab a pair when they offer you the two for one offer (that isn't really you still pay through the nose for the first pair, but there you go) - have the darkest tint on offer and have it solidly over the spectacle lens rather than in a gradient pattern - the optician may try to talk you into the gradient, but explain you have a special purpose in mind. Pick a large lens and it keeps most stray light out. That's the best solution I've found so far anyway, though I guess prescription goggles are worth trying - many on here use them. Have a look in the search function - there are, as you suspected several threads on the subject
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I dont need Glasses, but do not like Goggles. Try a pair of Addidas elevation climacools the best £130 I have ever spent. Have wasted the same amount on top of the range Oakley Gogs but still do not like them.

You can have a prescription insert fitted.

Cant find the Mr Magoo Smiley , so this will have to do Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
I searched for a solution to goggles over glasses for years, and tried just about everything on the market: but I still steamed up.

So I went with contact lenses. Initially it could *easily* take 15-20minutes to get *each* one in in the morning. But now it's a minute or two at most: less if I've been using them recently!

Get over the "don't like the idea" feeling and just do it: anything else compromises your ski fun.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
PS Inserts are cr*p. There are still four surfaces to keep clean when they fog. The scott(?) fan goggle was the best answer, but ££££££££.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I bought some Bolle OTG (i think) goggles for this season, they have been okay, but can steam up if you breathe heavily in the wrong direction! The only other issue i have with them is that they seem to be much bigger than they need to be, just feel a bit bulky. Considering fishing out some of my old daily contacts and getting some normal goggles!
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
My Climacools NEVER steam up, even when used in 'Goggle' mode with the insert in place.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Kel, agree that Climacools rock! Occasionally they steam, but that tends to be when my mask isn't properly adjusted.

TomTom, I use monthly lenses and have no probs - regular check-ups, but mine are designed for extended wear and so are more permeable so my eyes can breathe. That said, I'm fairly sure I have a pair of goggles to go over glasses knocking around from the one and only time my husband came skiing with me - he's a specs wearer. I'm happy to send them up if you want to give them a try?
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I use Adidas goggles with prescription inserts and find that they very rarely fog up, even in fog, drizzle, rain, snow, hot or cold conditions (although in hot conditions I tend to wear sunglasses).

I can't wear contacts because I need varifocals due to cataract surgery.

They are really excellent and much better than trying to wear goggles over glasses.
snow report
edsilva wrote:
cling film for me- try colouring it in with a selection of fiber tip pens- yellow for flat light- silver glitter pen for bright sun...
Laughing Laughing Laughing
snow conditions
TomTom, Depends on your budget I guess. I'll second the contact lens route firstly, but I also noticed that Tesco do a very good priced range of goggles with prescription inserts. May be worth a look.
snow report
Another vote for prescriptions inserts, I have some Bolle ones and they're great - occasionally mist a bit if you're hot when you stop moving, but either treat them with an anti-mist spray or washing up liquid first, or just keep going ! Toofy Grin
snow report
Found some old daily contact lenses last night, they still work, so I'm off to buy some new goggles tomorrow Happy
ski holidays
philw,
.........???????????????????

You should be checked out yearly for contacts. how old is old..?
snow conditions
JT, Erm....they were still in date! But I've not worn contacts regularly for a couple of years.

Probably would be a good idea to get checked out, should try and fit it in!
latest report
philw,

for fit if nothing else... Laughing my optician insists on a check-up once a year... or every batch ... I only wear them for skiing so a months supply does me for a year

And I think that it is healthy...
ski holidays
JT, sorry, when I said fit it in, I meant fit in a check up with an optician.

I was suprised at how comfortable they still were for a few hours last night, but as the are dailies they are the soft type and not the solid ones, but, yes I agree, a check up is in order!
ski holidays
HHhhhmmm.... Im thinking of facing my fears and and going to the eye-doctor for contacts. Still not happy with the idea of it all but would be nice not to have to wear glasses, not just for skiing but in general. The next problem is that i have SEVERE dark rings under my eyes due to sleep shortages, which the glasses have previously hidden. Any tips on how to apply concealer?I believe Boots do a good range.

I wonder if you can get the lenses that make your eyes look like those of a snake at Vision Express....... Twisted Evil

t
ski holidays
TomTom,
Nobody likes putting things into their eyes at first.. but you quickly get used to it..

philw, Yes, sorry, I did mean a check-up for the fit...if nothing else, but it is also a health check for the eyes, of course. Smile
snow conditions
TomTom, you need YSL's Touche Eclat - use the integral brush to put it on, then blend by patting gently with a finger Toofy Grin
snow report
I have some Bolle OTG...they are OK-ish
I have some expensive Smith OTG goggles which have a mini electric fan which is supposed to keep them fog-free...they are good
I also have a pair of Smith Prodigy which are not OTG...they are now!: I used some sharp nail scissors to cut two channels in the foam surrround for the arms of the spec's to pass along. The goggles fit like a dream, no pressure on the spec's=comfortable and the extra air flow from the cut-outs in the foam means they stay fog free.

I have too many goggles!
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy