Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Budget to Canada/USA Help Please

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi

I have to go skiing in the school holidays and even though we haven't been skiing this year yet (Easter) I am looking where we can go next year.
I am fed up every year of looking at the weather forecast praying for snow and next year Easter falls at the beginning of April.
So I thought Canada/USA but I need cheap flights accomodation and lift passes is this too much to ask? Would going at February half term be any cheaper?
Or can anyone recomend Europe in April without the fear of the dreaded weather forecast?

All help gratefully accepted.

Desperate

Michelle
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
michelle227, you shouldn't find N.America too pricey at Easter compared with the rest of the season, although you won't find a cheapo cheapo hol there either. Lift passes tend to be expensive compared to Europe, but other costs are generally the same or lower IME. We found that we usually had to take the kids out of school for the last few days of term to avoid hefty flight supps. Feb half term doesn't seem to attract the massive supplements that it does in Europe, but it'll still be pricier than other times, obviously, and it's only a week. Although it's worth going to N.America for a week IMO, that's may not be your view and anyway it's frustrating to know that for almost no extra cost (apart from lift pass and eating, obviously) you could be staying for 2 weeks.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
michelle227,

The best reason to go to Canada around the Easter period is the near-certainty of good snow conditions (although at this time of the year, most resorts can have slushy conditions at the bottom, in the alpine the snow is good, and there are often significant snowfalls in late March). The best reason for not going at half-term is that you'll only be away for a week, and if you're travelling that far, you want to spend at least 10 days there to get over the jet-lag. Also, if you're relying on TOs, then they WILL hike their prices at half-term, but their rates will be lower around Easter.

There has been some discussion on another thread as to which is the best option: package or DIY. If you are thinking of somewhere like Whistler (great conditions, but not the cheapest) then you can make substantial savings by DIYing. - The Canadian budget airline (Zoom) offers good rates, but whether it's convenient for you depends on how easy it is to get to their UK hub airports (Glasgow, Gatwick, Manchester & Cardiff - but this last only serves Toronto and Vancouver). I'd recommend condo accommodation in Whistler, booked through Allura-direct. For Banff, you'll find that most of the accommodation is hotel rooms (although there are some self-catering places, like the Rocky Mountain Resort: though it's not very convenient for the town centre). The Okanagan resorts are accessible by flying into Kelowna or Kamloops, after changing planes in Toronto.

Lift passes are generally more expensive than European rates: you can get early-booking discounts online, often of the buy-9-days-get-one/two-free variety.

The US might be a good option, right now, especially with the fall in the US dollar: rates are much better than the $CAN exchange rate right now (although who knows for 2009??): Again , the conditions in the high-altitude resorts in Colorado should be pretty good around Easter (also, Americans don't have an Easter holiday, unlike Canadians, so you won't have a couple of days when there are large numbers on the hill - unless all those Canadians fly south to take advantage of the excahnge rate). - again, lots of resorts have condo accommodation that can be booked direct from the owners, and you might get a discount rate for a longer stay (most US domestic visitors don't stay for more than a week, if that).

I'm sure that other transatlantic experts, like WTFH, will have something to add.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
michelle227, the questions would be: How long are you going for? What are you looking for in a resort? What sort of skiing do you like? How many are in your party?
Easter will be cheaper than February (particularly if 1/2 term clashes with Presidents Week)
At the current exchange rates, US is a cheaper option than Canada.
After that, here's some thoughts:
Big Sky, Montana - fly to Bozeman (North West via Minneapolis), then a 45 minute bus ride to the resort. The Huntley Lodge is a good slopeside hotel there.
Snowmass, Colorado - fly to Aspen (United via Chicago), then a 20 minute ride to the resort. Try the Pokolodi for cheap accomodation, or the Wildwood/Silvertree for a bit more expensive.
Alta/Snowbird, Utah - fly to Salt Lake City via Chicago, about 30 minutes from the airport to the slopes. Stay in resort at the Goldminer's Daughter, or save money and stay in Midvale at the La Quinta or Extended Stay America, but then you'll need to use the bus or have a rental car.
North Lake Tahoe, California - fly to San Francisco and drive, or into Reno and get a hotel shuttle (just over an hour). Somewhere like the Granlibakken would provide a good base, and they have a bus service to all the local hills - Squaw Valley, Alpine Meadows, Homewood...

I could recommend places you can get to on direct flights from UK, but it's generally cheaper to go via a hub like Chicago.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Acacia wrote:

There has been some discussion on another thread as to which is the best option: package or DIY. If you are thinking of somewhere like Whistler (great conditions, but not the cheapest) then you can make substantial savings by DIYing. - The Canadian budget airline (Zoom) offers good rates, but whether it's convenient for you depends on how easy it is to get to their UK hub airports (Glasgow, Gatwick, Manchester & Cardiff - but this last only serves Toronto and Vancouver). I'd recommend condo accommodation in Whistler, booked through Allura-direct. For Banff, you'll find that most of the accommodation is hotel rooms (although there are some self-catering places, like the Rocky Mountain Resort: though it's not very convenient for the town centre). The Okanagan resorts are accessible by flying into Kelowna or Kamloops, after changing planes in Toronto.

DIY through Allura-Direct is a good option for sure. Private owners charge less and generally have the best accommodation if you're looking for an apartment rather than hotel.
For flights to Canada, we normally find Air Canada cheapest and most flexible. Zoom can be a little cheaper still, but their flights and times are limited.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Be careful with Air Canada now days, they have introduced some new rules regarding ski bags and equipment. not entirely sure, but have got lower weight limits, and now count the bag as 1 of your items (they didnt use to)
I also recommend using alluradirect.com for accomodation . In whistler anyway, and I presume for the other resorts they do.
I don't think the costs are that much lower around shoulder seasons (unless you try to come during public holiday time during peak season). Shoulder season prices are a bit cheaper, but not so much that you should use that to determine when to go. All that matters, is look into the dates for public holidays in Canada and the US, and DON'T go then.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Summit county, CO (Breckenridge/Keystone/Copper/A-basin/Vail) should start to drop their prices early April (for example, this year, "value season" starts March 30). That tend to drop both lift and loding price at the same time. So you should have more room to work with.

Resorts are high so snow shouldn't be a problem. Just have to take it easy on the first day or two so you can escape the dreaded altitude sickness.

It's easy access from Denver, which you may be able to fly non-stop to.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Hi all

Thanks for the information I obviously need to look at the tips you have given me. I have to go at Easter because my sons are on a school trip at Feb half term. I think possibly America may be a better option due to the exchange rate. There may possibly be 12 of us going at all different abilities. We like to ski most of the day and have a few drinks afterwards then go for something to eat. Don't especially like the idea of catered chalets as we like the freedom of eating when we feel like it. We do need a reasonably priced resort for food and drink though.

Thanks again

Michelle
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I've been to Colorado 7 times during Easter holidays with this outfit - Grampian Tours
If you have a look you'll see they do 7 resorts in 12 days.
The weather at Easter is usually sunny with blue skies, but you are in the mountains and it can change.
Every time I've been there, we have had 2 or 3 stormy days, which brings in fresh snow - not quite waist deep powder, but maybe 12 inches or so.

Easter is the end of the season for most of these resorts, and by this time the Americans are getting fed up skiing.
Plus, I don't think the kids get 2 weeks off at Easter like our schools.
So, it is never really busy, smaller resorts like Loveland or Keystone/A Basin are the best places to avoid the weekend crowds.

If you look at some of the resort websites you'll see that Colorado is having record snowfalls this season - in fact it's still snowing.

Vail - http://vail.snow.com/winter/
Copper Mountain - http://www.coppercolorado.com/index.htm
Breckenridge - http://breckenridge.snow.com/info/winter/srchoose.asp
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Thanks for the advice its much appreciated

Michelle
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
michelle227, let us know what you decide (if you'd be so kind).
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy