Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

crud /crust - are these the same things?

Poster: A snowHead
crud /crust - are these the same things?
I see them used interchangeably in some places...
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
No in my opinon, breakable crust has been done to death on another thread, crud to me is chopped up/skied through powder, spring mashed potatoes.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
kitenski, 4me2
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I've seen "crud" defined as

a) heavy wet sticky snow that is unsuitable for skiing.

b) Off piste snow that isn't fresh powder, (e.g. tracked out, wet, windblown) that is difficult to ski.

Using a) crust is something different but crust is included in b)
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
For me, crud is slighty going off snow so can be tricky but mostly you'll just be able to bash through it...with not too much care. Leave it much longer and it turns into something else..heavy, wind blown etc etc

Chopped is/was nice snow but you have got there too late ....

Crust is something else.... it is a frozen/crusty top layer and depending on how solid it is..you'll either scrape over it or break through it.

When you ski this stuff, you'll know what it is.. and what it means to you, IMO
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Crumble is also worth a mention - snow loosely based on a favourite English dessert - a bit crusty and lumpy on top, with gooey qualities below.

Also, death cookies. Biscuity-type lumps on the piste.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
David Goldsmith, cobblers!
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
of course crust can become crud if enough people ski it
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Okay, what is crust when it has wind ridges on it as well?
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
London Age: 30, it's known as 'wrinkle'.

Porridge: crud with milk
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Wink
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Actually, there is a name for it and I've forgotten. I think it has the letters 'st' in it, a kind of Germanic word.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
GordonFreeman, David Goldsmith, Sastrugi - Firm (if not icy) windblown ridges.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Thanks, Spyderman

An interesting reference (and good photo) to that in Wikipedia - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sastrugi - referencing writing by Ernest Shackleton in 1909. And it says the word originates from Russian.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
That must be an absolute b*****d to ski on!
ski holidays
GordonFreeman wrote:
That must be an absolute b*****d to ski on!

not compared to real breakable crust. There are different forms of crust:

i. sun crust
ii. rain crust
iii. refreeze crust - probably same as i.
iv. wind crust

The French sometimes use the word "carton" - cardboard, to refer to a wind crust.

However they are all a crust and all difficult to ski.

I will leave skiing it and crust techniques to you guys. Other than using ultrafat skis (80mm+ Happy this kind of snow is best avoided.

Crud is previously skied snow - either spring or powder. The fact that there are existing tracks means you don't get so much braking effect and that tracks tend to knock your skis off their desired course. Stiffer, longer skis are better for crud busting. Something like a Legend 8800. Also you need to get your weight forward to drive the spatulas through the snow - no sitting in the back seat.

Frozen crud should also be avoided, as much as crust.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy