Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Options if liftees go on strike

Poster: A snowHead
So, we're off to Courchevel 1650 on Sunday, and the liftees seem to be revolting in the great French tradition.

What do you reckon we should do if the liftees go on strike for a day or more while we're there?

My list includes

a) Hire some cross-country skis and try a bit of ski-de-fond for a change
b) Hire some touring skis and skins and walk up then ski down - I'm not too keen on this. Hours of walking for a few mins skiing? No thanks...
c) Hire a snowboard and boots and walk up the nursery slope and try to board again, after my "learn to board in a day" experience at the Snowdome last June. Maybe I'll get to linked turns again by the end of the day. Has advantage that I'll take at least as long to get down the slope as up (I can't snowboard well and I'll fall over lots), and I can't yet use the lifts on a board anyway, so their absence will not be a problem. Disadvantage is I may get to like the dark side too much...plus all the fiddling with bindings, jumping around, shuffling, falling over etc.
d) Dust off the walking boots and go for a hike
e) Go snowshoeing

Any more? What do you think we should do?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Buy a helmet?
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Steal a piste basher and make your own way to the top
Rent a helicopter
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Play Scrabble
in Russian
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
docsquid, You'll have to be early at the Hire shop I reckon for options a) and b) as a few other punters will have the same idea...

Does your hotel have a spa? How about a day of relaxation and pampering, maybe after a morning Hike?
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Get the bus to La Tania and then the onward one to Meribel and join the queues? snowHead
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Admire the scenery from a convenient bar with a drink (or several) Very Happy
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
docsquid, they're all good options, except maybe the skinning one...

I think I'd go for the snowboarding, but for the morning only (or, if the snow is rather hard and icy in the morning, better in the afternoon when it's slushy, which is infinitely preferable). Mucking about on a board without lifts is much preferable to doing the same thing on skis, because it's so much easier to walk up the hill. But what with the exertion, and the inevitable falls, you'll probably not want to do it all day.

There's not much point snowshoeing if there's not much fresh snow - might as well just use walking boots. Walking in the mountains is fantastic, especially if the weather is nice. Take a picnic. But in fresh snow, snowshoeing is great, and presumably there are some special signposted tracks in the area?

I could think of some indoor activities. Shocked But you can do those any old time...[/quote]
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
David Goldsmith, the Russians are all in 1850, as far as I can tell.

red 27, darn it! Looks like snowboard is emerging as the best option. It should make for amusement for the rest of the punters watching from the bars in 1650 as I'm seriously bad at boarding.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
docsquid, Snowboarding! Shocked that will require some more special pants I would have thought? wink

Just don't try any impromptu tobogganing on lift pylon crash mats... Skullie
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
pam w, Laughing

Like I say - lifts aren't an option for me on a board anyway, as I haven't done them yet other than the travelator at Tamworth carrying the board, so that is probably the way to go.

Better dust off my trousers with waterproof seat lining then....
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Beg, steal or borrow a snowmobile thingy.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
richmond, that's a thought.... Toofy Grin
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I was going to post the same - snow mobiles look great fun, but don't forget that you will need two of you taking it in turns to get to the top of the slope to get any skiing out it too
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Bus to 1850, Tovets to 1550, bus to 1850, Plantrey/Dou du Midi to 1550, bus to 1850, Tovets-Provères_Tovets to 1550, bus to 1850, Plantrey/Brigues to Le Praz, bus to 1850, lather rinse repeat as needed
ski holidays
Megamum, good point, unless you get a new one for each run. They are actually exhausting to drive for any length of time, but great fun.
ski holidays
docsquid, you were close with Option (d). The correct answer is:

f) Dust off the walking boots and find a liftie to adminster a good kicking to
ski holidays
My next door neighbour, a liftie in Meribel, tells me the strike is well and truly over, so shouldn't be a problem Smile
snow conditions
Patch, I am relieved, I've just forked out over 900 Euros for a two week 3V lift pass for two of us!

Of course all kinds of other people could go on strike instead...

Maybe I'll just do ski-de-fond/snowshoeing/boarding/snowmobiling anyway...
ski holidays
Megamum, nah. You set the machine off down the hill on it's own and ski after it. Eventually it will stop at the bottom of the hill.
latest report
Rent a car, try a different resort.
latest report
rob@rar, I suspect that like touring skis, XC skis and snowmobiles, rental cars may be a bit thin on the ground if the liftees go on strike!

Mr DS did think of going to La Plagne for the day (as you get a free day's skiing at La Plagne on the 3V lift pass).
ski holidays
docsquid, should be fairly easy to hitch a lift down from 1650, then another lift through Bozel up to Champngy to access La Plagne that way. In fact, there might be a shuttle bus which does that journey.
latest report
docsquid, when you've got 2 weeks, a little light snowboarding could be fitted in anyway? Gentle button lifts aren't a big problem, really. Just get both feet in the bindings, keep your back arm behind you parallel to the board, and relax. You'll fall off a few times, but so does everyone else. Even I can manage gentle button lifts now. And in Courchevel you should be able to find a gondola going to the top of a green slope. They're ideal, but there aren't any, round our way.
ski holidays
f) get steaming drunk and hassle the picket line..
latest report
From another thread ....
docsquid wrote:
rob@rar, I can see that only limited strength work is required, but specific leg muscle endurance training is important for skiing (and many other sports). An exercise bike can achieve this, or weight training, provided the load is appropriate.

then from this thread ....
docsquid wrote:
b) Hire some touring skis and skins and walk up then ski down - I'm not too keen on this. Hours of walking for a few mins skiing? No thanks...

Practice what you preach Razz
ski holidays
professorpool wrote:
f) get steaming drunk and hassle the picket line..

or join it.. you have to love burning stuff in barrels after a few pints..
latest report
When you buy new kit, buy tele gear and some skins and take the skins with you, and the skiinning is easier if you buy real touring skis as they tend to be a fair bit lighter than standard alpine skis. If there is a liftie strike, then your sorted. If not just ski as normal. (If you really must, buy AT kit and skins. You won't notice any difference form normal alpine kit unless your hucking clifs and the like).
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy