Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

snowdome instructors, how bout rating some

Poster: A snowHead
Have you had instruction from any instructors at Chill Factor/ Xscape/etc that you really rate highly and deserve a mention...

As lots of us have a tune up or two before going away might be an idea to rate a few for everyones benefit

EDIT changed from being only Milton Keynes snowdome and took out referencing poor instructors...

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Wed 27-02-08 19:06; edited 2 times in total
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
skimottaret, I know 2 refugees from Hemel that went to MK when it opened, Hemel is the better for it. I don't feel it fair to name names though.

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Wed 27-02-08 13:13; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Come to think of it there's another one who skis like a dog, how he ever qualified is beyond me. rolling eyes
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Spyderman, how bout naming a good one or two if you dont feel like shaming.... wink
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
skimottaret, OK, Steve Jordan, Simon Ellis.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I echo the ones that Spydie has mentioned, both the good and not so. Some people that I have taught at Hemel after they have had lesson(s) at MK have said how much more they have enjoyed Hemel and got so much more from the teaching we offered-as well as being much better value for money.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
come on team spyder this wasnt meant to be an anti MK thread... just thought it would be a good idea to highlight the good ones (i made a mistake asking to name bad ones) there as i am guessing lots of snowheads will take the odd lesson there and it may be of more use to people to rate UK based instructors than in far flung resorts..

I have renamed this thread to be more inclusive.....
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
skimottaret, In the spirit of snowHeads should you not explain your association with ski teaching and which snowdome you (presumably) teach in?
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
boredsurfin, fair point.. i had originally mentioned that i teach part time at milton keynes but had taken that out as i didnt want it to look like i was fishing for compliments or trying to rate my collegues.... have you had any lessons at any of the domes? if so care to share?
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
skimottaret, All I meant by my last post was that there was some dissatisfaction with some of the instructors/instruction at MK. I can't name any names coz I don't know who those people were taught by. I have made a bit of general observation whilst at MK myself and found some of the techniques that I witnessed questionable. That is certainly not to say that I don't see questionable instruction at Hemel sometimes too.
I am not anti MK or its instructors. After all you work there and you are lovely! Smile
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Kitty, snowHead sorry Embarassed ... I actually agree with you and that is why i originally had asked for a good, and, bad list. But in hindsite I dont think naming poor instructors is a good idea here...

Im not that lovely trust me, but sweet of you to say... Blush Blush
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
skimottaret, I'm watching this thread with bystander interest - I haven't taken lessons as such at either MK or Hemel.

A couple of points: Firstly can those watching this thread assume that you and the Spyderfolks personally know each other? Secondly despite the thread name I have to say that reading through this so far suggests that Hemel has better instructors, and that MK has some more questionable instructors that may have been inherited from Hemel. I can't shake the feeling that this seems a little unfair on MK even if its true - naming good instructors isn't so much of a problem, but only if it doesn't become clear that certain instructors are not named if you know the teaching team at the respective venues - I don't. I have to say that so far it doesn't make a very comfortable read - mind you that's only my own opinion.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Megamum, I did qualify my first post and say again that I am not anti MK or its instructors. Wherever you go you will get some excellent, some good and some dodgy instructors. At the end of the day it boils down to your personal preference and location as to where you have lessons.
And yes, Skimottaret and the Spyders have met on a couple of occasions.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Megamum, hmmm... yes i know team spyder Laughing and yes this thread started off pear shaped because of me and is not going the way i had intended.... Laughing didnt want to have it as a "what is the best place to get instruction" but rather a "who are the good instructors to ask for" thread, and which ones are rated by snowHead

to be fair a few of the poor hemel instructors mentioned that went to MK a while back are no longer there... but like every ski school there is a range of quality...

I should have really tried to keep it positive and only sought to give special mention to Recommended Instructors, again my bad....
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
skimottaret, It's a bit hard to ask opinions of snowheads about the standard of teaching at snowdomes. The majority of snowHeads are not novice/beginner skiers, so would fall outside a snowdomes target audience. In my experience of seeing lessons at a snowdome, which is only at MK I might add, once a skier can perform basic plough turns from the top of the main slope, they then fall outside of the group lesson structure. Please correct me if I'm wrong on that. The only alternative for progress from then on is private lessons.
Whereas Hemel offer group lessons right up to and including Parallel.
I see Xscape being aimed at recreational users, with lessons available for beginners and Hemel being focused as a learning facility.
Like Kitty says, there's good and bad everywhere, for sure there's some Instructors at Hemel I'd rather not see there.
snow report
skimottaret, Let's start again.
Quote:
"who are the good instructors to ask for"

MK: Stephen Jordan
Simon Ellis
Dan Gillespie
Steve Cooper

I haven't seen you teach so I've left you out.
I know a few others, but wouldn't recommend them.

ChillfactorE: Andrew Lockerbie

Probably the best skier I've ever seen, also the chairman of BASI. Had quite a few sessions with him, embarassingly good.

Don't know any other centres Instructors.
ski holidays
skimottaret, I prefer Brentwood Alps... lovely carpet... Shocked Skullie
ski holidays
IMO they overprice their lessons, can't remember the exact price of a private lesson but i remember thinking F*%k me that hurts

Megamum, when you go and have a haircut you like to go to the same hairdresser [right?] and you found that recomendation by someoen telling you about it, or by trial and error.... so if you have a list of rated isntructors it is exactly the same a rating hairdressers do you not think that when you call up and ask to speak to tracy that julie and diane get pi$$ed off that you are favouring her and that you might think that they are not as good

it happens all over the place ski instructors, hairdressers, boot fitters, chiroproactors, doctors etc etc

if you are good at what you do people will recomend you if not then you will fall to the bottom of the pile, and in many cases look for a career change
snow report
CEM,
Quote:
IMO they overprice their lessons, can't remember the exact price of a private lesson but i remember thinking F*%k me that hurts

You could probably get on Easyjet to GVA, hire a car and have a day in Chamonix cheaper than an hour's private at MK. Shocked
snow report
OK, folks just so long as all this is fair that's fine - no probs here. I just didn't want to see an injustice done to anyone on-line whilst they were not necessarily part of the process to be able to respond on their own behalf. No offence intended to anyone that's replied here (I don't think from the replies that any was taken, but you never know).
latest report
Megamum, There is no question of any "Pro" naming an Instructor, who they believe to be poor. Certainly not on a public forum. wink

Recipients of said "Poor" lessons, go right ahead. You have the right, as you've paid for it.
snow report
Spyderman, Just as I would expect Toofy Grin However, the thread does appear to be aimed at the punters anyway.
latest report
Spyderman, how much? I would have guessed £50/hour 1-to-1. am I close?
ski holidays
red 27, £40 for half an hour at Braehead. Shocked
ski holidays
red 27, MK Snozone 1 Hr Private lesson £150
Hemel Ski Centre 1 hr Private lesson £54

Last edited by Ski the Net with snowHeads on Wed 27-02-08 22:03; edited 3 times in total
ski holidays
If seen that sort of cost posted here before - at the sort of price I'm amazed that there are any punters to comment!! Laughing For twice that you can do the April snowheads price - for three times that you get drinking cash too!!
snow report
Spyderman, Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked
snow report
Spyderman, yikes! I guess the difference is the snow? I'm presuming Hemel is plastic. even so £150/hour is a lot, I've paid less for ...er... well just about everything.

£150... Shocked ... Do you get to keep the skis?
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Spyderman, Just imagine what they will be able to charge in Southampton, 90 mins from London by train, what do you reckon £200+ an hour Toofy Grin
snow conditions
red 27,
Quote:
£150... ... Do you get to keep the skis?

No, but you'll have to pay for parking on top of that too.

Hemel is Plastic for another 3 weeks, then next March it's snow. The prices are only expected to rise modestly, certainly nowhere near what MK is charging. Hemel wants business from ski lessons, as it will be the southern BASI centre of excellence.

boredsurfin, I'll teach you for £200 an hour anytime. Toofy Grin
snow conditions
I've seen Dan Gillespie teach for a couple of hours - bloody good BASI demos I have to say (but then you'd expect that given his Dad is a Trainer Wink). I've also seen skimottaret teach quite a lot, and without sparing his blushes I'd be happy to recommend him very highly. I've also been taught for several hours by Spyderman and can recommend him highly as well. Sadly I've not been taught by Kitty, but I'm sure she is as good as she is delightful Smile
latest report
rob@rar, I'm sure we'll be recommending you, after you've had 2 weeks with the Grand Master. wink
latest report
Spyderman, why thank you kind sir. I did have someone ask if she could book a private lesson with me at MK; quite made my day, even though I had to explain to her I wasn't actually qualified yet.
snow report
Not snowdome, but plenty of good instructors at Kendal, esp. Bob Eastwood, Bob Park, John, Richard, and any of the monday night crew.

Well worth the £12 per session, and the rain and wind are thrown in for free Razz
snow conditions
rob@rar, but was it a "ski" lesson? wink Laughing
ski holidays
Spyderman wrote:
rob@rar, but was it a "ski" lesson? wink Laughing

Those are wicked rumours which I refute entirely.

Wink
snow report
Is MK really £150/hr for a private lesson? That's amazing. Do you get a massage and happy ending afterwards? Warren Smith only charges about £260 for the entire day!
ski holidays
Just to qualify the above, that's for a full day ski coaching in Verbier. Not a massage and happy ending.
latest report
So how much does he charge for those BGA?
snow report
Not sure, redheads have never been my thing....
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy